Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    Unfortunately that's not how the mlb works. There's not a single gm in the league that uses percentage points to gauge how close they are...
    I imagine that's quite true. Did I claim that MLB FO types would think that way? Perhaps you ought to read my post again, so that you get it this time.

I marvel at your ability to have a ready opinion on so much based on so little.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    This is a huge gamble. Hopefully he pull an Adrian Beltre and put up great stats.
    That seems a little dramatic...

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Fenways is a hitters park right?

We can hope and dream!

vCash
    For a SS I take a .250+/.320+/.400+ line.

vCash
    Arizona is a hitters park, and I think he included calling this "a huge gamble" as part of the dramatics. Napoli (if signed) and Victorino are much bigger gambles than this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    For a SS I take a .250+/.320+/.400+ line.
    Well Drew is a .260/.325/.395 sort of hitter if healthy. If he can hit away, he could pile up a nice 2B's count. He'll be lucky to get to 10 HR's.

He's a smart fielder, but no longer has very good range. He's capable. That's good enough I suppose.

vCash
    I like this signing, I think he will bounce back and be a decent pick up. Better than our other options at SS right now.

vCash
    A's fan here. Good pickup. I wanted him back, but since Beane didn't pick up the 1 yr 10M option, I knew he wasn't giving him 9.5 ....Probably offered around 6.

Drew is just barely getting that timing back in the box after the severe injury. Should be solid in Boston. Will give you good defense, good arm, .260 hitter, bunch of doubles, with 10-20 bombs.

Beane will have to release some prospects now and get a body in trade for SS.

vCash
    Really?

A 73 rWAR player is average at best? That makes him 41st all time, one slot behind Joe DiMaggio, ahead of Derek Jeter and dozens and dozens of HOF players.

580/148 SB/CS .... fabulous

A career .337 raw OBP that is .347 when era/park adjusted is above average in a player that is 39th all time in plate appearances. The big downfall of OPS+ or wOBA is that it figures you are talking middle of the order hitters. SLG at the 1/2/8/9 isn't as critical as the OBP by even a larger margin than usual.

He saved 239 runs on defense, the most recorded since the stats went into use in the early 1950's.
    can you explain rWAR to me, i look at the simple stats over the more complex ones like avg, hr, rbis, hits....thats why i said average cuz those numbers are low imo

vCash
    Basically, BC and company know that a WS isn't attainable for the next couple of seasons. Which is nice to see because I think most of us felt that way too. I'm perfectly fine for overspending for a one year deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    can you explain rWAR to me, i look at the simple stats over the more complex ones like avg, hr, rbis, hits....thats why i said average cuz those numbers are low imo
    OK. The key thing about batting is production which is most easily seen by OBP and SLG.

RBI's is a poor way to look, because it depends on so many other factors.

BA doesn't including BB's HBP's or extra base hits, and doesn't correlate with scoring runs that well.

Ozzie's strongest suit is fielding, which doesn't show up in any batting stat.

That's the 50 thousand foot view, and only part of it at that.

vCash
    MLBTR got it right!
    24. Stephen Drew - Red Sox. Drew is the best available shortstop in a weak market. He's relatively young (30 in March), but he missed a huge amount of the last two seasons due to July 2011 ankle surgery. As a Boras guy, a one-year contract to rebuild value could be the strategy, making Boston a nice fit if the A's don't bring Drew back. The Blue Jays, Rays, Twins, and Dodgers could also seek a shortstop this offseason.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ictions-1.html

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Another Drew? Get the duckboats ready.

No seriously, I almost wanted us to sign SD. 9.5 is too rich, but who cares, another 10m off the books next year. Finally a lefty. One more LHH and we are good to go

vCash
    OK. The key thing about batting is production which is most easily seen by OBP and SLG.

RBI's is a poor way to look, because it depends on so many other factors.

BA doesn't including BB's HBP's or extra base hits, and doesn't correlate with scoring runs that well.

Ozzie's strongest suit is fielding, which doesn't show up in any batting stat.

That's the 50 thousand foot view, and only part of it at that.
    oh okay....thanks for the explanation, just a question also, were his BA actually considered high during his playing days ? Like .250-.260 be equivalent to .300 now, you know what i mean ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent33 View Post
    I wonder if JD helped sway his little brother into signing with Boston. At least Cherington is attempting to make this bridge season a bit easier to cross...I don't know. They'll be competitive, but still nothing done in this offseason is telling me that they want to win the World Series.
    Nancy drew prolly told his younger brother that the sox were suckers and would take a flier on him. I hope they are totally different people besides the decline in production they do come from the same loin??? On a side note I hope he does bounce back and thank god you guys only gave him a year instead of a multiple year with a op out clause he prolly would have taken it two days before infielders had to report to spring training.
    Go dodgers!!!!
    LAKERS
    Go dolphins!!!!
    Go Flyers!!!!!
    I would give her a ball maybe two!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast