vCash
    I like this signing.
    Bring back MacDime

vCash
    Did we overspend? Yes

Does it really matter? No

SOON

vCash
    I like this. Prevents us from confirming to any NL team that might need a defensive minded shortstop that Inglesias really cant hit and probably never will be able to. Also prevents us from panicking and rushing XB to the ML level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I like this. Prevents us from confirming to any NL team that might need a defensive minded shortstop that Inglesias really cant hit and probably never will be able to. Also prevents us from panicking and rushing XB to the ML level.
    Everybody knows Iglesias can't hit. He has to prove he can to be worth trading for by hitting OK. He'll get his chance as a back-up. Worst case we keep him around for a few years as a glove mostly back-up for cheap money.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    so hows it going to look next year w/ our shortstop depth?

MLB: Drew, Ciriaco (utility)
    AAA: Iglesias
    AA: Boegarts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Everybody knows Iglesias can't hit. He has to prove he can to be worth trading for by hitting OK. He'll get his chance as a back-up. Worst case we keep him around for a few years as a glove mostly back-up for cheap money.
    Do you think Omar Vizquel is a good comp for Iglesias? I was taking a look and noticed Vizquel was basically a 1.5 WAR player, then I started wondering what a good comp for Vizquel was and Ozzie Smith came to mind. Checking in on the Wiz I was shocked that he consistently put up between a 4 - 7 WAR, is this because they played in different times and the value of a replacement player was lower?

vCash
    Good, obvious sign. He was a good player before he fractured his ankle and missed a year. He played a lot better for Oakland at the end of the year. He's better than Aviles

vCash
    i was looking at Ozzie Smith's numbers......what was so great about him. His numbers are average at best....

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...mithoz01.shtml

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Good, obvious sign. He was a good player before he fractured his ankle and missed a year. He played a lot better for Oakland at the end of the year. He's better than Aviles
    Is he as Friendly though....that's the real question

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    It's simply not practical for the Sox to win the WS in '13 without destroying the farm system, and even then our chances would be at best 15%. It just isn't a wise course of action IMO.
    Unfortunately that's not how the mlb works. There's not a single gm in the league that uses percentage points to gauge how close they are...

vCash
    Not bad.

Probably a like 2-3 mil overpayment. But on a 1 year deal it doesn't really matter considering he has the potential to get us a draft pick next year and have a great year.

I like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    i was looking at Ozzie Smith's numbers......what was so great about him. His numbers are average at best....

Defense. Rey Ordonez is probably the best comp for Iglesias, though I wonder if Iglesias can even hit that little.

Drew is also a left handed bat that we needed for more balance in the lineup, he will play vs lefties I'm sure, but they will probably try to platoon him a bit with Ciriaco/De Jesus
    Last edited by -Lavigne43-; 12-17-2012 at 01:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chomaru View Post
    Do you think Omar Vizquel is a good comp for Iglesias? I was taking a look and noticed Vizquel was basically a 1.5 WAR player, then I started wondering what a good comp for Vizquel was and Ozzie Smith came to mind. Checking in on the Wiz I was shocked that he consistently put up between a 4 - 7 WAR, is this because they played in different times and the value of a replacement player was lower?
    Ozzie was actually a smidge above average as a SS hitter in his time, and one of the best two SS's with the glove ever, had a long career, and was an ace base stealer as well.

Vizquel was mostly a below average hitter, but had that one crazy year. Not as great with the glove as the Oz, but still top 10 easy. Good base stealer but with more CS then Ozzie I believe.

In order for Iglesias to be as great as Vizquel, he'll have to field as good as he is now (or better) for over 12 years as a regular, and increase his batting skills (contact and OBP) far over what he's shown to date, and become a pretty fine base stealer.

I fix his chances of matching Oz as 1 in 250
    Vizquel 1 in 80
    Bud Harrelson 1 in 25
    Dal Maxvill 1 in 5

Dal Maxvill is a great glove no bat SS from my childhood. (.217/.293/.259) - Iglesias won't have an OBP .076 above BA however.

If he's a plus in the clubhouse and takes to being strictly a backup he might make a decent 23rd man on the team. That has value. He simply cannot hit well enough by AL or Fenway standards unless we have a staff of ground ball pitchers that induce 45% of their batted balls to the SS - unlikely.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post

Really?

A 73 rWAR player is average at best? That makes him 41st all time, one slot behind Joe DiMaggio, ahead of Derek Jeter and dozens and dozens of HOF players.

580/148 SB/CS .... fabulous

A career .337 raw OBP that is .347 when era/park adjusted is above average in a player that is 39th all time in plate appearances. The big downfall of OPS+ or wOBA is that it figures you are talking middle of the order hitters. SLG at the 1/2/8/9 isn't as critical as the OBP by even a larger margin than usual.

He saved 239 runs on defense, the most recorded since the stats went into use in the early 1950's.

vCash
    This is a huge gamble. Hopefully he pull an Adrian Beltre and put up great stats.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast