Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    The guns are going to be out there regardless of a ban or not. Drugs are illegal yet they are one of the very easiest things to obtain. The drug lords and gangs don't obey the laws so banning them will have 0 effect.

The truth is that there is not a one answer quick fix to this issue. There are many issues that led to the death of 26 people in that school. We can't guarantee that this type of event won't happen no matter what we do, but we can put in things that will deter it, and recognize potential perpetrators before these things happen.

Putting police in every school is not cost efficient or practical by any means. I would like to see each state utilize their own resources for protecting high risk/sensitive targets. We need to utilize our National Guard/active reserve forces as part of their normal military duties to secure these areas. Schools, water treatment plants, power plants, ect. Post 1 to 2 soldiers at these locations in uniform as security liaisons in schools and that would deter anyone from marching in the front door. This could be done for no extra cost to the tax payers and wouldn't cause unnecessary capacity issue on the local law enforcement agencies.

It appears that the shooter was mentally unstable. Was he getting help or treatment of any kind, was he on meds? These are questions we need to have answered. Parenting plays the biggest role in this but others such and family, friends, teachers, and anyone else that comes in contact also need to recognize warning signs.

The other big societal issue is video games/movies and the desensitization to violence. People today can't differentiate between reality and fiction and the fact that once the triggers are pulled in real life there is no reset button to make it all go away. I think there needs to be stronger regulations on this industry.
    So, stronger regulations on video games. No stronger regulations on actual guns.

Interesting perspective, to say the least.
    lol nothing matters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfaninTX View Post
    Key word right there,

Rikers Island, the LA County Jail and Cook County Jail in Illinois housed the nation's largest mental health treatment centers in 2012.

See any problem there?

Everything should be on the table, but we must start at the mental health problem we have in this country before anything else.
    I haven't read much more than the first few posts but feel you hit the nail on the head here. All the talk of gun control legislation is missing the point. As a nation we do a piss poor job with regards to mental illness. This kid was severely mentally ill in my opinion to be able to go into a school and start shooting little kids. Connecticut has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation and this still happened. So short of an all out ban on all guns whatever legislation Feinstein proposes isn't going to make a bit of difference.

Also what is considered an assault weapon? What do any of you want changed with regards to the law? Also what are you going to do about all of the guns that you wanted legislated away done with? Are you going to start going door to door collecting the guns you don't like? This is a knee jerk reaction to a terrible tragedy nothing more.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    No, I just looked it up. I swear to everyone in here that FNC put up a hunting rifle on the screen entitled "Weapons used byt eh shooter". That stuck in my head, and I never went back to affirm the exact make and model rifle. I figured since it was a bolt action rifle in the picture, well, you get it.

Okay folks, I am completelyy wrong.Please disregard my posts in this thread. And **** you, FNC, and to AFN, who only carries FNC on Afghanistan programming. Jesus, I know your slanted, but to actually lie about the weapons used? Argh.

I also should explain wihy I am reacting emotionally to this one- Since I was in Afghanistan when this happened, I had ****** internet.

Long story short, I spent a while trying to find out if the school was my kids school or not. I kind of freaked out. So, now that I see it was an assault weapon, I'm going to go sit in the corner, have a Coke, smile, and STFU.
    Haha, no worries at all. There was an unreal amount of misinformation out those first 24 hours (apparently on FNC, beyond 24 hours), and considering where you were physically and mentally it's more than understandable.
    lol nothing matters

vCash
    The guns are going to be out there regardless of a ban or not. Drugs are illegal yet they are one of the very easiest things to obtain. The drug lords and gangs don't obey the laws so banning them will have 0 effect.

The truth is that there is not a one answer quick fix to this issue. There are many issues that led to the death of 26 people in that school. We can't guarantee that this type of event won't happen no matter what we do, but we can put in things that will deter it, and recognize potential perpetrators before these things happen.

Putting police in every school is not cost efficient or practical by any means. I would like to see each state utilize their own resources for protecting high risk/sensitive targets. We need to utilize our National Guard/active reserve forces as part of their normal military duties to secure these areas. Schools, water treatment plants, power plants, ect. Post 1 to 2 soldiers at these locations in uniform as security liaisons in schools and that would deter anyone from marching in the front door. This could be done for no extra cost to the tax payers and wouldn't cause unnecessary capacity issue on the local law enforcement agencies.

It appears that the shooter was mentally unstable. Was he getting help or treatment of any kind, was he on meds? These are questions we need to have answered. Parenting plays the biggest role in this but others such and family, friends, teachers, and anyone else that comes in contact also need to recognize warning signs.

The other big societal issue is video games/movies and the desensitization to violence. People today can't differentiate between reality and fiction and the fact that once the triggers are pulled in real life there is no reset button to make it all go away. I think there needs to be stronger regulations on this industry.
    LHF, you were doing so well until you struck up that last paragraph of gold. Otherwise I agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Yeah come on people. because a tragedy relates to legislation does not me that it is politicizing the tragedy. It's responding to it. Every day in this country on average 34 people are killed with firearms. There is NO DAY in this country that isn't a tragedy when it comes to this issue.

I'm not saying we should outlaw guns... Though I would support a constitutional amendment to do just that in a heartbeat. But we certainly need to address the issue.
    115 people on average a day die on our nations roads. That is roughly 5 times the amount you state die to firearms. Why not propose going back to horse and buggy also?

Side note according to the FBI stats as of 2010 latest they have listed it was 24 people a day are murdered by firearms.

In 2010 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,996 murders in the US. Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...crime-us-state
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkShizzle View Post
    So, stronger regulations on video games. No stronger regulations on actual guns.

Interesting perspective, to say the least.
    Well done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    I haven't read much more than the first few posts but feel you hit the nail on the head here. All the talk of gun control legislation is missing the point. As a nation we do a piss poor job with regards to mental illness. This kid was severely mentally ill in my opinion to be able to go into a school and start shooting little kids. Connecticut has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation and this still happened. So short of an all out ban on all guns whatever legislation Feinstein proposes isn't going to make a bit of difference.

Also what is considered an assault weapon? What do any of you want changed with regards to the law? Also what are you going to do about all of the guns that you wanted legislated away done with? Are you going to start going door to door collecting the guns you don't like? This is a knee jerk reaction to a terrible tragedy nothing more.
    Acting as though there is only one way to approach this debate is missing the point. I said earlier and I'll say again - this cannot be EITHER a gun debate OR mental health debate. Both were factors, both need to be discussed.
    lol nothing matters

vCash

False, how about being a responsible parent and monitor what your kids watch and play if you believe that.

There is no difference in what you said than a democrat who wants to regulate guns. It was a good post until you showed the typical political bias we find in so many people these days. The
    "Protect only the rights of the things i care about people."
    Last edited by raiderfaninTX; 12-17-2012 at 05:55 PM.

vCash
    115 people on average a day die on our nations roads. That is roughly 5 times the amount you state die to firearms. Why not propose going back to horse and buggy also?

Side note according to the FBI stats as of 2010 latest they have listed it was 24 people a day are murdered by firearms.

You can't look at simply the volume of deaths. With the millions that drive every day obviously the numbers will be higher there.

But the auto industry is actually not a bad example of an industry that evolves to become safer. Where regulations are introduced and enforced (that whole seatbelt thing? airbags?). To keep people safer.

Why are we okay with discussing how to make cars safer but not guns?
    lol nothing matters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    And the Patriot Act tread all over how many ammendments?
    How about the 4th amendment? Search and seizure. Or the 6th Amendment right to a speedy trial? How about the 1st Amendment? Intrusion and monitoring political and religious speech and assembly is now permitted.

I just don't think its so outlandish to see movement towards harsh laws in the wake of an extremely tragic event. It's been done before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7
    Obama had no intent,to challenge or introduce Gun control initiatives.
    And you conclude that based on what? That he didn't say he wanted to introduce gun control initiatives? He couldn't. That would be politically risky.

If your entire complaint is over the use of the word "agenda" then exchange it with "political position" in my original post - my point remains the same.

Whenever anyone says "let's put politics aside," they usually mean the other guy's, not their own.
    Last edited by gcoll; 12-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.

vCash

LOL you went to the UK for those stats?

Yes alot of people die of firearms but lets be clear here. 24 people a day don't die defending themselves WITH firearms. The vast majority is a senseless violience and how much do firarms actually benefit soceity.

Now you want to compare that to cars and its benefit to society? Get freaking real. Other nations don't go into the abyss because they make it extremely hard to acquire guns do they?

Comparing numbers of car accidents is incredibly stupid. Everything has an inherit risk to it. Going to the hospital has a risk that you can die of a medical mishap see the infants that were given the wrong concentration of anticoagulants and basically bleed freaking out on the hospital bed.

No one says lets ban the hospitals because they screw up once in awhile because they normally get it right and THEY ARE TIGHTLY REGULATED.

Inherit risk are always taken but its should always be weighed on the benefit of a society and the fact is certain types of guns add little benefit to the country as a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerlive
    Now you want to compare that to cars and its benefit to society?
    Sure.

We survived as a species for quite a long time without cars. They aren't a necessity.

But, ignore cars. What about alcohol? Look at how many people die in alcohol related car accidents. Does alcohol have some great benefit to society?

Your child is much more likely to be killed on the road by a drunk driver than by a mass shooting. What's the benefit of letting people drink alcohol? They think it's fun? Well, a lot of people think guns are fun.

vCash
    Damn, the other night I just forgot I wasn't playing GTA and I ran down 8 hookers and blew up 4 gas stations. I just couldn't differentiate between fiction and reality...

I'm not about to deny the influence of violence being depicted in the open on our society, but seriously? People can't tell the difference?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Sure.

We survived as a species for quite a long time without cars. They aren't a necessity.

But, ignore cars. What about alcohol? Look at how many people die in alcohol related car accidents. Does alcohol have some great benefit to society?

Your child is much more likely to be killed on the road by a drunk driver than by a mass shooting. What's the benefit of letting people drink alcohol? They think it's fun? Well, a lot of people think guns are fun.
    Cars are much more a necessity than guns in everyday life for the vast majority of citizens. Its laughable to even compare the two and the BENEFIT to society.

As a nation we ok cars on the road and that risk simply because of the benefit of going from point A to point B.

So I am suppose to ignore cars in your analogy and then you reinsert them in the very next sentence,, LOL. Sure ok. SO by your standard just because a person abuses X means that all abuse is OK. HA! Thats the type of reasoning I should expect on a forum I guess.

Edit: As the previous poster stated there are plenty of examples of regulating penalities or simply governing more for the benefit of society as a whole. IF abuses occur the common approach is to minimize the abuse with working policies. See excise police, building and fire codes, child labor laws, etc. Saying we don't regulate something enough so therefore we shouldn't regulate other things is just about as dumb as it gets. Sorry
    Last edited by Pacerlive; 12-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast