Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfaninTX View Post
    Crazy 3 pages and not one person acknowledged my post about mental health care here in America. I see it's pointless to comeback in here with two sides that are set in their ways.

I do miss the principal of compromise this country was founded on.
    I absolutely think that how we handle mental health is so ridiculously *** backwards that it isn't funny. Both of my parents are educators (dad's a PhD, mom's a special ed teacher...dad now owns a education learning small business) and I talked for hours about this with them the other day. They're very passionate about it...and there are very few educators who will say that this country does a good job as a whole with this (and obviously it goes well-past education).

This thread is about an "assault weapons ban bill", hence why I didn't bring it up.

vCash
    Crazy 3 pages and not one person acknowledged my post about mental health care here in America. I see it's pointless to comeback in here with two sides that are set in their ways.

I do miss the principal of compromise this country was founded on.

I guess it proves the reason the press will not cover it, it requires to much thought and it's not as flashy and easy to talk about as gun control.
    Probably because that's a much more complicated conversation that requires a hell of a lot more critical thinking. You're right, it's not flashy either. It almost requires a certain degree of empathy towards the perpetrator. We would have to recognize that this kid was not simply EVIL, but horribly sick.
    lol nothing matters

vCash
    how about we talk about the mother, there is more to this story than she was a loving mother.

Denial or ignorance of mental health issues led to her child being able to kill 20 children. Also what about the reports of the crazy political stuff she believed in? Have those turned out to be true?
    Last edited by raiderfaninTX; 12-17-2012 at 04:43 PM.

vCash
    I will say that a lot of the media's focus on his Asperbergers is a bit disconcerting. It's going to cause a lot of terrible misconceptions, all because of one person. I have two cousins with it, and they are the most docile and innocent people I know (no exaggeration).

But that's part of the problem. We all need to know more about personality and mental disorders. It seems like it's in our culture to mostly shun them and treat them as outcasts...and rarely do they get the help and attention (in school and out of school) that they need. There are limited resources available to many people that need them.

vCash
    how about we talk about the mother, there is more to this story than she was a loving mother.

Denial or ignorance of mental health issues led to her child being able to kill 20 children. Also what about the reports of the crazy political stuff she believed in? Have those turned out to be true?
    That's definitely true. I even read she was the one who taught him how to shoot. It's a little early to be drawing conclusions, though, as the information we have now could easily not be accurate.

I think people are sticking to the gun theme because of the assault weapons ban the thread was created to discuss, though.
    lol nothing matters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Bara...un_Control.htm

He appears to hold the common liberal position on gun control.

Why not?
    you'd be surprised how much of the western world believes in this position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    I will say that a lot of the media's focus on his Asperbergers is a bit disconcerting. It's going to cause a lot of terrible misconceptions, all because of one person. I have two cousins with it, and they are the most docile and innocent people I know (no exaggeration).

But that's part of the problem. We all need to know more about personality and mental disorders. It seems like it's in our culture to mostly shun them and treat them as outcasts...and rarely do they get the help and attention (in school and out of school) that they need. There are limited resources available to many people that need them.
    Any time the media tries to cover mental health I generally find it disconcerting. Clearly the media plays down to the lowest common denominator and that's irresponsible in the realm of mental health. No two mental health cases will be alike so you can't draw the kind of grand conclusions the daily news is trying to hard to find. Did this kid have Aspergers? Sounds like it, but that alone was hardly the reason he did what he did.
    lol nothing matters

vCash
    I've heard a lot of mixed stories about both the mom and the dad. It's hard really to be certain what truly was the case. Heard sources say that the dad basically neglected his son after the divorce, but elsewhere it states that he had "liberal visitation privileges". The mom has been described about a million ways it seems like.

But we are now getting a bit off topic. I guess the point of contention is that the mom legally owned a small arsenal of guns, didn't handle them responsibly or safely, and Adam was able to just pluck them and the large magazines up and commit a horrific act spurned by something that we will never fully understand.

I for one don't get why any civilian should be permitted to own an assault rifle. I'm ignorant to a lot of the specifications and definitions of weapons, but anything that can pop off 30 shots in a matter of seconds with amazing accuracy seems unnecessary for both hunting and self-defense.

And I apologize for my extreme butchering of Asperger's in my prior post

vCash
    I think It becomes clear how polarized and difficult our process has become in reading some of the offerings..
    The common Liberal stance is making nearly ALL GUNS ILLEGAL.
    Always has been.
    Gcol/BMD, are adopting what I like to call The Oriely Principle.
    Provide an ulta RT idea,then offer the moderate RT. position, and claim that the middle between the two is the balanced idea.

I read every "clip" that oddly enough had been all collected together and boiled down to very limited contexts to create an impression(lol), and 90% of what is written is subjecture and extrapolation.
    He says cling to bibles and Guns, and that proves he has had a secret agenda to inact Gun control.
    So Dumb.
    An agenda is a STATED intent.
    This is why when someone does something that Isnt ON their agenda it is referd to as derivative.
    scott walkers union law, the michigan law,there a dozens of examples.
    Obama had no intent,to challenge or introduce Gun control initiatives.

You dig up his voting record and say Ah HA!
    just nonsense.

we have 4 years worth of his campaigning and speeches, and pledges, that is what an AGENDA is.How he FEELS about an issue, isnt proof of an agenda...that is a childish and slightly paranoid overreach.

@ raiderfaninTX.

I responded immediately to your Mentral health concerns because it is all tied together.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...SH4JBhHjlE8S8g
    http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...czebBBZ4_dKdNA
    there have been thousands of studies showing that the concentration of wealth in a society leads to more stress and consequently more mental health issues.

People that are unaffected by the issues of others never care.
    Until its their children, or wife, siblings.

vCash
    Democrats defeated Connecticut mental health bill three months ago.

Link: http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2012...hool-shooting/

Interesting read.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkShizzle View Post
    It wasn't a hunting rifle. It was an AR-15 that was used.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cnn-t...nipers-2012-12

This weapon should not be available to citizens. There is simply no need for it.

This isn't an either/or debate. It doesn't have to be a conversation solely about mental health or solely about gun laws - it needs to be both. The questions need to be asked about how someone who was mentally ill flew under the radar up until this point. Then we should want to understand how someone who was mentally ill got their hands on an assault rifle. It's logical to then ask why ANYONE needs to be able to get their hands on an assault rifle.

If there are good reasons that citizens need this kind of firepower, I've yet to hear them.
    No, I just looked it up. I swear to everyone in here that FNC put up a hunting rifle on the screen entitled "Weapons used byt eh shooter". That stuck in my head, and I never went back to affirm the exact make and model rifle. I figured since it was a bolt action rifle in the picture, well, you get it.

Okay folks, I am completelyy wrong.Please disregard my posts in this thread. And **** you, FNC, and to AFN, who only carries FNC on Afghanistan programming. Jesus, I know your slanted, but to actually lie about the weapons used? Argh.

I also should explain wihy I am reacting emotionally to this one- Since I was in Afghanistan when this happened, I had ****** internet.

Long story short, I spent a while trying to find out if the school was my kids school or not. I kind of freaked out. So, now that I see it was an assault weapon, I'm going to go sit in the corner, have a Coke, smile, and STFU.

vCash
    Pats fan holding strong for our liberties.. love it. Need more of it.

vCash
    Excellent
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    The guns are going to be out there regardless of a ban or not. Drugs are illegal yet they are one of the very easiest things to obtain. The drug lords and gangs don't obey the laws so banning them will have 0 effect.

The truth is that there is not a one answer quick fix to this issue. There are many issues that led to the death of 26 people in that school. We can't guarantee that this type of event won't happen no matter what we do, but we can put in things that will deter it, and recognize potential perpetrators before these things happen.

Putting police in every school is not cost efficient or practical by any means. I would like to see each state utilize their own resources for protecting high risk/sensitive targets. We need to utilize our National Guard/active reserve forces as part of their normal military duties to secure these areas. Schools, water treatment plants, power plants, ect. Post 1 to 2 soldiers at these locations in uniform as security liaisons in schools and that would deter anyone from marching in the front door. This could be done for no extra cost to the tax payers and wouldn't cause unnecessary capacity issue on the local law enforcement agencies.

It appears that the shooter was mentally unstable. Was he getting help or treatment of any kind, was he on meds? These are questions we need to have answered. Parenting plays the biggest role in this but others such and family, friends, teachers, and anyone else that comes in contact also need to recognize warning signs.

The other big societal issue is video games/movies and the desensitization to violence. People today can't differentiate between reality and fiction and the fact that once the triggers are pulled in real life there is no reset button to make it all go away. I think there needs to be stronger regulations on this industry.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    The guns are going to be out there regardless of a ban or not. Drugs are illegal yet they are one of the very easiest things to obtain. The drug lords and gangs don't obey the laws so banning them will have 0 effect.

The truth is that there is not a one answer quick fix to this issue. There are many issues that led to the death of 26 people in that school. We can't guarantee that this type of event won't happen no matter what we do, but we can put in things that will deter it, and recognize potential perpetrators before these things happen.

Putting police in every school is not cost efficient or practical by any means. I would like to see each state utilize their own resources for protecting high risk/sensitive targets. We need to utilize our National Guard/active reserve forces as part of their normal military duties to secure these areas. Schools, water treatment plants, power plants, ect. Post 1 to 2 soldiers at these locations in uniform as security liaisons in schools and that would deter anyone from marching in the front door. This could be done for no extra cost to the tax payers and wouldn't cause unnecessary capacity issue on the local law enforcement agencies.

It appears that the shooter was mentally unstable. Was he getting help or treatment of any kind, was he on meds? These are questions we need to have answered. Parenting plays the biggest role in this but others such and family, friends, teachers, and anyone else that comes in contact also need to recognize warning signs.

The other big societal issue is video games/movies and the desensitization to violence. People today can't differentiate between reality and fiction and the fact that once the triggers are pulled in real life there is no reset button to make it all go away. I think there needs to be stronger regulations on this industry.
    I was impressed with your reactions and post until the last paragraph.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast