Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Feinstein to introduce assault weapons ban bill

(CNN) Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California said Sunday the president will soon have legislation "to lead on" in the gun control debate, announcing she will introduce a bill next month in the Senate to place a ban on assault weapons.

"We'll be prepared to go, and I hope the nation will really help," Feinstein said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

The senator said she'll introduce the bill when Congress reconvenes in January and the same legislation will also be proposed in the House of Representatives.

"We're crafting this one. It's being done with care. It'll be ready on the first day," she said, adding that she'll soon announce the House authors.

"It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation, and the possession. Not retroactively, but prospectively. It will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets," she said. "There will be a bill."

Gun rights legislation has gained renewed attention since Friday's deadly elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, that left 20 students and six adults dead.

Many lawmakers and politicians have called for stricter gun control laws at the federal level, including a revisit to the 1994 former assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 but has yet to be reinstated.

Feinstein, who helped champion the 1994 legislation, said she and her staff have looked at the initial bill and tried to "perfect it."

"We believe we have (perfected it). We exempt over 900 specific weapons that will not fall under the bill, but the purpose of this bill is to get 'weapons of war' off the street of our cities," she said.

The senator added she believes President Barack Obama will support the legislation. As a presidential candidate in 2008, Obama said he would support such a ban, but he has been criticized for failing to work toward tighter gun control laws since taking office.

After Friday's shooting, however, the president signaled a change in policy could soon be in place.

"We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics," Obama said in his weekly address Saturday, echoing remarks he made Friday after the tragedy.

Feinstein on Sunday praised the assault weapons ban of 1994 for surviving its entire 10-year term and predicted a successful future for her upcoming bill.

"I believe this will be sustained as well," she added. "You know, all of the things that society regulates, but we can't touch guns? That's wrong."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ill/?hpt=po_c1

vCash
    Judging by his speech tonight it sure sounds like President Obama is gonna really push for something to be done along these lines as well.

vCash
    Yep. Some serious momentum here for Gun-Control legislation.

vCash
    No surprise here. Will be interesting to see the exact contents of this bill.

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    Yuck. More and more starting to buy in to the conspiracies my dad preaches about

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post
    Yuck. More and more starting to buy in to the conspiracies my dad preaches about
    Such as...?
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    If you want to decrease gun violence legalize drugs.

"We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics," Obama said in his weekly address Saturday, echoing remarks he made Friday after the tragedy.
    How come we only have to "forget about politics" when it's something he wants to do? "We're gonna have to forget about the politics and advance my political agenda!" He's not forgetting about his politics; he's asking people who oppose his political views to forget about theirs.
    Last edited by gcoll; 12-17-2012 at 03:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    If you want to decrease gun violence legalize drugs.

How come we only have to "forget about politics" when it's something he wants to do? "We're gonna have to forget about the politics and advance my political agenda!" He's not forgetting about his politics; he's asking people who oppose his political views to forget about theirs.
    Absolutely this.

And I took it as him saying that something needs to be done. No one is for sure what will be suggested or implemented due to this tragedy. But one thing is for certain, something needs to change. And he pretty much said that. Everyone needs to swallow their pride and work to get SOMETHING changed. What? I don't know the answer. And no one else likely does. But the idea that our government can put politics aside and work to make the citizens safer seems pleasant, yet far-fetched.

It's not about putting the politics aside to push his agenda. It's pushingthe politics aside to push AN agenda.
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 12-17-2012 at 03:49 AM.

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    It's not about putting the politics aside to push his agenda. It's pushingthe politics aside to push AN agenda.
    But it's HIS political agenda that he is pushing.

My point is, you're not going to see a guy make a big "let's put politics aside" speech when he is passing something he wouldn't have passed otherwise.

It's a rhetorical device Obama uses to paint everyone who opposes his ideas as just being petty politicians. And it has been really effective.

My point is: you'll never hear someone say "let's put politics aside" when they're pushing a bill that goes AGAINST their political views.

vCash
    Gun control had never once been involved in any speech, any platform, or any suggestion by this administration for the last 4 years.

Where you got the idea it was HIS political agenda is painfully obvious because ive heard that false claim over and over in the RT. leaning media, without a single shred of documentation, or audio, or video, to support it.

It is not Democrats, or Obama that prevents the legalization of Drugs.
    It has always been the RT wing of the republican party.

Of the 18 medical Mary states only two are RED. montana, in 2004, and AZ in 2010.
    Meanwhile CA is coming up on 20 years of MM.

liberal, or Progressives have LONG championed for the decriminalization of most recreational drugs.
    Before libertarians, and before the emerging conservative acceptance of the failure of one of their Key legislative efforts of the last 30 years...Reagan began the WAR on Drugs, and both Bushes ran with it.
    Obama, has stayed away from it politically becasue it is a issue of great liability to his administration.
    The religious rt would sh their pants, and all these new RT "legalizers" would change their minds overnight and start screaming about how Obama want our kids to become addicts(lol) I can hear Oriely/hannity already....

vCash
    Not going to happen. It takes real class to use the memories of 20 dead children to advance a political agenda. Real class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    Not going to happen. It takes real class to use the memories of 20 dead children to advance a political agenda. Real class.
    Or perhaps they're trying to act so in a few years we don't have 20 more dead children? In the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting, the shooter was declared mentally ill by a Virginia special justice far before his rampage, and was still able to legally buy guns. Sometimes tragedies just bring to light the flaws in our legal system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Or perhaps they're trying to act so in a few years we don't have 20 more dead children? In the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting, the shooter was declared mentally ill by a Virginia special justice far before his rampage, and was still able to legally buy guns. Sometimes tragedies just bring to light the flaws in our legal system.
    Key word right there,

Rikers Island, the LA County Jail and Cook County Jail in Illinois housed the nation's largest mental health treatment centers in 2012.

See any problem there?

Everything should be on the table, but we must start at the mental health problem we have in this country before anything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfaninTX View Post
    Key word right there,

Rikers Island, the LA County Jail and Cook County Jail in Illinois housed the nation's largest mental health treatment centers in 2012.

See any problem there?

Everything should be on the table, but we must start at the mental health problem we have in this country before anything else.
    I haven't read much more than the first few posts but feel you hit the nail on the head here. All the talk of gun control legislation is missing the point. As a nation we do a piss poor job with regards to mental illness. This kid was severely mentally ill in my opinion to be able to go into a school and start shooting little kids. Connecticut has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation and this still happened. So short of an all out ban on all guns whatever legislation Feinstein proposes isn't going to make a bit of difference.

Also what is considered an assault weapon? What do any of you want changed with regards to the law? Also what are you going to do about all of the guns that you wanted legislated away done with? Are you going to start going door to door collecting the guns you don't like? This is a knee jerk reaction to a terrible tragedy nothing more.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Yeah come on people. because a tragedy relates to legislation does not me that it is politicizing the tragedy. It's responding to it. Every day in this country on average 34 people are killed with firearms. There is NO DAY in this country that isn't a tragedy when it comes to this issue.

I'm not saying we should outlaw guns... Though I would support a constitutional amendment to do just that in a heartbeat. But we certainly need to address the issue.
    Last edited by flips333; 12-17-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast