Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: trade question

vCash
    Why would you want to trade a prospect that compares to Carpenter and Doc?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Sandy Alderson is taking the approach of stockpiling the system to contend in the next 2-3 years. The Division is top heavy with contenders in Atlanta, Philadelphia & Washington. Sandy needs to wait for the proverbial window to open.

The R.A. Dickey trade is indicative of this strategy. Sandy got back tremendous value in an MLB Ready Catcher in D'Arnaud, a projectable young Right Hander in Noah Syndergaard and an MLB Catcher.

What you do is start D'Arnaud at AAA and bring him to the majors after the July 1st date. Buck assumes starting duties through that date. At the deadline, Buck could become a Trade Piece.

Looking towards that aforementioned "Window", you keep D'Arnaud at AAA to assure he's under Club Control for an additional season. In this format, you have the 24 year old Catcher on the Mets through 2019.

If D'Arnaud becomes your starting Catcher (120-130 games per season), you have a potential trade piece in Kevin Plawecki if he progresses through the system. A possible trade piece is also Wilmer Flores, who lacks a position with the Wright resigning. Only should be moved in a Prospect-Prospect Trade.

The Rotation to start the season:
    1. Johan Santana 34 (25.5 M)
    2. Jonathan Niese 26 (3.0 M)
    3. Matt Harvey 24 (490 K)
    4. Dillon Gee 27 (530 K)

With the 5th spot open, the options are a competition amongst the young arms Zack Wheeler, Jeurys Familia, or a veteran FA signing. I would go for the latter, and keep Wheeler & Familia with D'Arnaud until July 1st. Keeps them under Club control through 2019.

I would inquire on Dallas Braden, Ben Sheets, & Carl Pavano. All on 1 Year deals, you're looking to get early season innings and create a trade chip when Wheeler & Familia are ready for the rotation.

If Santana is what he's capable of, You could move him towards the deadline to a competing team. The difficulty is the size of his 2014 buyout (5.0 M), which could require pitching in money to make a deal come to fruition. The more money the Mets contribute, the better the haul of prospects.

Niese is part of the longterm plan, a middle of the rotation starter to complement Wheeler, Harvey, and hopefully Familia.

With the lineup, you must find an OF bat to make this team respectable. You are rebuilding, but you do not want to create a culture of loosing. While returning Scott Hairston is an option, the ideal option is Cody Ross, but he's seeking a 4 Years 40.0 Million deal with a contender. Worth considering are Ryan Spillborghs, Grady Sizemore, or Delmon Young. The latter could be an issue with off the field concerns.

Again, I want to sign one of these guys to a 1 Year Deal with the concept of moving them near the Deadline. That's how you build your Bullpen.

Trading prospects for an OF bat is logical in a win now situation, but we have to look towards 2015. That's the season when Zack Wheeler, Matt Harvey, Jeurys Familia, Brandon Nimmo & Cesar Puello will be ready to complement the veterans.

This season is about determining what you have in Kirk Nieuwenhuis , Lucas Duda, Ruben Tejada, Jenrry Mejia, & Matt Harvey. It's also about giving Zack Wheeler, Travis D'Arnaud & Jeurys Familia big league exposure.

With the Veterans, you must determine if Daniel Murphy and Ike Davis are part of the longterm solution. Accumulating potential trade chips is the wise move to build that bullpen at affordable prices.

It's about the future and this trade is indicative- The Mets get it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I'd flip Syndegard and Flores for Reddick
    Everything I have read about Syndegaard sounds like he could be next off season what Wheeler is this off season "untouchable"

vCash
    Do not worry, next off season when Niese has another excellent year you will be able to flip him for that outfield bat the Mets so desperately need.

Then in 2015 on the Rotation would include guys like Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, Mateo, Montero, Gee, Mejia, Pill, Verrett, Mazzoni, Fulmer, Tapia, Robles. Obviously half or most of those guys will not make it as starters or at all, but you can see the depth is there to deal a guy like Niese or another pitcher for an outfield bat instead of giving up the farm for one.

vCash
    Why so much talk of trading Niese? The Mets play in a pitchers ball park and Niese is one of the games best young lefties. After Santana is gone, Niese would become the veteran and would be in his 'prime years'. Not to mention the fact that the guy was born the day the Mets won the WS in '86.

I'd rather see the Mets spend money on a free agent outfielder than trade away our own proven commodities. I know we don't have the cash right now in terms of ownership, but SNY is a cash-cow that brings in well over $200M per year. Whether or not the Wilpons lost their life savings shouldn't matter, especially when they own one of the top there regional sports networks in New York (the world's biggest sports market) that brings in over double our current payroll per year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan1963 View Post
    Everything I have read about Syndegaard sounds like he could be next off season what Wheeler is this off season "untouchable"
    Too early to be speculating on this kid.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquest8089 View Post
    Sandy Alderson is taking the approach of stockpiling the system to contend in the next 2-3 years. The Division is top heavy with contenders in Atlanta, Philadelphia & Washington. Sandy needs to wait for the proverbial window to open.

What you do is start D'Arnaud at AAA and bring him to the majors after the July 1st date. Buck assumes starting duties through that date. At the deadline, Buck could become a Trade Piece.

Looking towards that aforementioned "Window", you keep D'Arnaud at AAA to assure he's under Club Control for an additional season. In this format, you have the 24 year old Catcher on the Mets through 2019.

If D'Arnaud becomes your starting Catcher (120-130 games per season), you have a potential trade piece in Kevin Plawecki if he progresses through the system. A possible trade piece is also Wilmer Flores, who lacks a position with the Wright resigning. Only should be moved in a Prospect-Prospect Trade.

The Rotation to start the season:
    1. Johan Santana 34 (25.5 M)
    2. Jonathan Niese 26 (3.0 M)
    3. Matt Harvey 24 (490 K)
    4. Dillon Gee 27 (530 K)

With the 5th spot open, the options are a competition amongst the young arms Zack Wheeler, Jeurys Familia, or a veteran FA signing. I would go for the latter, and keep Wheeler & Familia with D'Arnaud until July 1st. Keeps them under Club control through 2019.

I would inquire on Dallas Braden, Ben Sheets, & Carl Pavano. All on 1 Year deals, you're looking to get early season innings and create a trade chip when Wheeler & Familia are ready for the rotation.

If Santana is what he's capable of, You could move him towards the deadline to a competing team. The difficulty is the size of his 2014 buyout (5.0 M), which could require pitching in money to make a deal come to fruition. The more money the Mets contribute, the better the haul of prospects.

Niese is part of the longterm plan, a middle of the rotation starter to complement Wheeler, Harvey, and hopefully Familia.

With the lineup, you must find an OF bat to make this team respectable. You are rebuilding, but you do not want to create a culture of loosing. While returning Scott Hairston is an option, the ideal option is Cody Ross, but he's seeking a 4 Years 40.0 Million deal with a contender. Worth considering are Ryan Spillborghs, Grady Sizemore, or Delmon Young. The latter could be an issue with off the field concerns.

Again, I want to sign one of these guys to a 1 Year Deal with the concept of moving them near the Deadline. That's how you build your Bullpen.

Trading prospects for an OF bat is logical in a win now situation, but we have to look towards 2015. That's the season when Zack Wheeler, Matt Harvey, Jeurys Familia, Brandon Nimmo & Cesar Puello will be ready to complement the veterans.

This season is about determining what you have in Kirk Nieuwenhuis , Lucas Duda, Ruben Tejada, Jenrry Mejia, & Matt Harvey. It's also about giving Zack Wheeler, Travis D'Arnaud & Jeurys Familia big league exposure.

With the Veterans, you must determine if Daniel Murphy and Ike Davis are part of the longterm solution. Accumulating potential trade chips is the wise move to build that bullpen at affordable prices.

It's about the future and this trade is indicative- The Mets get it!
    Excellent post! I like the Sheets idea...also intrigued if Liriano is still available to team with old pal Johan. Low risk, high reward. Sizemore is similar...once high ceiling...can he recapture his magic? And if Delmon Young can play RF, at least until we know what Duda can do over time, he is 27 and a masher....cannot comment on his off-the-field issues but he could be a building block if all works out. And yes, we need a CF/leadoff hitter...Crisp sounds like a good choice too.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Do not worry, next off season when Niese has another excellent year you will be able to flip him for that outfield bat the Mets so desperately need.

Then in 2015 on the Rotation would include guys like Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, Mateo, Montero, Gee, Mejia, Pill, Verrett, Mazzoni, Fulmer, Tapia, Robles. Obviously half or most of those guys will not make it as starters or at all, but you can see the depth is there to deal a guy like Niese or another pitcher for an outfield bat instead of giving up the farm for one.
    If the market for starting pitching is this strong, the Mets might be better off trading Niese this off-season if they could get something good for him.

vCash
    As we have seen the market for starting pitchers is always high. I just think after another year like 2012 for Niese his stock will be insanely high.

vCash

Cool Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    We are rebuilding. We don't "need" anything right now. When the right moves present themselves, they will happen. Right now, we cannot be trading away young assets unless they have no future with us(Flores)
    Now that the Dickey trade is complete, we cannot use any of our starters as trade bait, so the only place to go is Murphy, Ike or Minor league prospects. In my opinion, we should keep the infield intact, so there is only prospects left to trade. We won't get much for something not including Wheeler, so. I say we go after pieces that can help in the short term that will not weaken us. Drew Stubbs is probably expendable because the Reds are loaded in the of and their top prospect who I think stole 150 bases last year is knocking on the center field door. Stubbs has power and speed and is still young enough where you can see a possibility of upside. He would give us a very good defensive center fielder with power from the right side, and a leadoff hitter with speed. This would help on 5 fronts, righty bat, speed, leadoff, power and a good defensive cfer. Just an idea.
    Last edited by METMANYAK; 12-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    You're right Sandy worked hard on this deal, to end up giving Billy Beane what he wants is bad business. Of course a GM like Beane would like to get a top prospect for Reddick's one good homerun year and he may get that from someone else but let that other New York team do it, the Mets can't make bad moves like that at this point or at anytime for that matter.
    You are right Silver see my post on Drew Stubbs.

vCash
    Still, the Mets have to be careful about trading off all of their pitching. You don't want to turn a strength into a weakness.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123