Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Anyone Else Think We Could Still Make The Playoffs?

I know some of you are going to rag on me for creating this thread as it probably looks like a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that we are on our longest winning streak of the season right now but just hear me out.

The last little while I have kinda been on the fence about whether or not we should blow it up and tank or just try to ride out the season and after looking at the standings and schedule it doesn't look all that inconceivable that we could still sneak into the eighth spot.

Right now we are 6-19, 5-5 at home, and 1-14 on the road. That's good for 13th in the east, and 27th overall. We are currently 7 games out of the 8th spot, with 57 games remaining (31 home, 26 on the road).

Our schedule has been horrendous so far and even so we still have lost several very close/overtime games in that stretch, indicating to me at least that we are not nearly as bad as our record reflects.

Now looking ahead at our next 8 games, we have

-Cavs (Without Waiters)
    -Pistons
    -Magic
    -Spurs
    -Hornets
    -Magic
    -Blazers
    -Kings

The Spurs are the only team on that list above .500 (and we seem to always play well against them too for whatever reason). I could realistically see us going something like 6-2 during this stretch putting us at 12-21, 9 games below .500 with 49 games to go.

Just glancing quickly at the rest of our schedule after this easy stretch, it looks pretty average the rest of the way in terms of difficulty. No huge tough or easy stretches to deal with.

Last 2 years the 8th seeds in the east were 2 games over and 4 games under 500 respectively.

Lets say we need to get to 500 to make the playoffs. That would mean we would need to go 35-22 the rest of the way. 29-20 if we were to take care of business and go 6-2 over these next 8.

Making it to the playoffs may be a stretch but I think its no question that our record is going to improve a fair bit regardless, so OKC will end up with our pick this year anyway. So no point in trying to tank the rest of this year.

I say the best course of action would be to just finish out the season with the group of players we've played well with for these last 3 games and then try to trade Bargs and Lowry for picks/young players.

Let our young players like Demar, Val, Ross, Ed continue to develop while working towards something positive, and then turning these others who I don't see as part of our future into assets we can use to improve our roster going forward. Then at the end of the season we can re-evaluate what we have and what direction we want to go in.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Nah. I still stand by my predictions and think we'll still end the season between 27-33 games. Good enough for 11th to 9th seed for the Raptors.

vCash
    our pick is protected both ways its top three we keep it and whats the other?

vCash
    If we make the playoffs, we also keep it and the Thunder has dibs in 2014.

vCash
    im on the fence for this one
    We are Anonymous,
    We are Legion,
    We do not forgive,
    We do not forget,
    Expect us

vCash
    We're not making the playoffs.

vCash
    Not with that attitude!

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Nope. But I still we could range anywhere from 9-11 if we go on a couple of mini runs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Nah. I still stand by my predictions and think we'll still end the season between 27-33 games. Good enough for 11th to 9th seed for the Raptors.
    I agree on the 9th seed part, but I think our win total will be higher. I see us ending up with 37-40 wins and just missing the postseason.

Unless our momentum carries us from these next 8 games and we end up going like 13-7 over our next 20 then we likely wont make it, but I still think that playoffs should be our goal for this season regardless

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Not with that attitude!

vCash
    Nope, we'll finish like 12th

vCash
    I don't care. I just want to see good basketball the rest of the season. If it's a wash, then fine. But at least go down playing good ball, get better at least. I'm tired of watching blowout games.

vCash
    I rather finish 9th than 8th, just so OKC can get a ****** pick in a weak draft
    Try staring at this picture for more than a minute without getting a headache

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Guy View Post
    I don't care. I just want to see good basketball the rest of the season. If it's a wash, then fine. But at least go down playing good ball, get better at least. I'm tired of watching blowout games.
    I agree. Theres no incentive to tank anyway, so we should just continue to try to build a positive culture here. Itd be better for both player and fan morale

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedTofuz View Post
    I rather finish 9th than 8th, just so OKC can get a ****** pick in a weak draft
    Thats why I say go for 8th. If we make it great, but if not then at least we get our 2014 pick plus we get the satisfaction of knowing that we aren't a bottom feeding team anymore

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast