Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Lions kitchen overhauled

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...w_chefs_r.html

ALLEN PARK -- Devin Taylor is noticeably bigger after packing on some extra muscle during his first full offseason in the Detroit Lions' strength program.

But he hasn't put on much weight.

Simple arithmetic would suggest the 6-foot-7, 267-pound defensive end has lost body fat, and probably a lot of it. Taylor says that's absolutely true.

And like many of his teammates, Taylor credits the revamped nutrition program at team headquarters for helping get his physique in order.

"Just coming in, working out, a little bit of running. A little extra cardio on the side. But really eating healthier helps, especially with the new nutrition program and chefs we have," Taylor told MLive recently. "They've made more healthier foods. Even though there were a bunch of healthy options with the other cooks, they decided to switch them out. It's working for me."

Nutrition has become increasingly important in the NFL over the past decade. The Lions certainly didn't neglect that trend, but players say the new program is significantly improved over the one used by Jim Schwartz.

First-year Lions coach Jim Caldwell prioritized overhauling the menu after his hire in January, and hired a new kitchen staff to deliver it.

The biggest changes are more healthy options and less fried food, according to players.

"They got a whole new kitchen staff. We liked the old guys -- I didn't have nothing against them -- but obviously people in the building wanted changes and they made it happen," said offensive lineman Rodney Austin, who said he's shed a lot of fat this offseason.

"(There are) a lot more healthy options now. They had a lot of fried chicken in there last year -- every week. They're making championship-type steps. I feel like anything a guy with two rings does has to be considered."

Some of the biggest hits of the new cafeteria are a smoothie bar and an omelet station.

"I have an omelet every day," quarterback Kellen Moore said. "It's impressive."

Added cornerback Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

The overhauled menu should help players on more restrictive diets -- such as Nick Fairley, who reportedly has lost 30 pounds this offseason -- avoid temptation in the building.

It's too early to say just what kind of long-term effect, if any, the new program will have on players. But safety Glover Quin is encouraged by what he's seen -- and eaten -- during the first three months of the offseason program.

"I think as the season goes along -- less injuries, guys being in better shape, guys weighing better weights -- I think we'll be able to tell more about how much this helps," Quin said.

"But I think the new food is great. I think it's very clean for us, very fresh. I'm not here to shine a bad light on whoever was doing it last year, but the food is great."

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 tackles sacks ints
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Do you guys think diet will impact our play on the field?

Part of me says absolutely, garbage in garbage out. The other side says that if they can't control
    What to put in their bodies, they're going to eat crap anyways....

vCash
    Its not a bad plan. Keep the diets healthier its easier to build muscle, stamina etc. Maybe we'll see the team not tire out as much at the end of games and give up stupid TD/choke leads away.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    I like it... Another reason Shartz is an idiot! FEED THE FRIED CHICKEN BRAH!!!!

I want an omlette station...

vCash
    I have always been very active and spent a good amount of time in the gym, ever since playing soccer in High School and lacrosse in College but never really cared about what I was putting into my body. Wasn't until I was done with college and moved in with my vegetarian girlfriend that I really started to think about what exactly I was putting into my body....Boy have I noticed a difference. Still am in great shape but I feel and look a lot better than I did in college.

So I'd say that if the team is starting to eat healthier, their play can only be helped. I see no negatives in this.

And I saw this tidbit earlier on the POD Twitter:

"It's amazing: #Lions were tied or had a lead in the fourth quarter in 15 games last season. Only won 7 of them."

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/6...ns-close-games

Maybe it was the junk they were eating that caused them to shut down and be worn out in the 4th quarter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post
    I like it... Another reason Shartz is an idiot! FEED THE FRIED CHICKEN BRAH!!!!

I want an omlette station...
    How the **** did anyone think that feeding these guys fried chicken was a good idea?

No wonder they run out of steam every year & are always leading the league in injuries.

#hireCaldwell!

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Taylor is a beast you will see with him in shape now.

vCash
    Suh ate all of the smoothies. Cut him!

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Added cornerback Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."
    lololololol
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    Chip Kelley drastically changed his players diet in order to help their endurance. If the players are strict on themselves then I think it can make a difference. The thing is, you can't force these guys to healthy when they're at home.

Rush Yards: 18 TDs: 0

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Chip Kelley drastically changed his players diet in order to help their endurance. If the players are strict on themselves then I think it can make a difference. The thing is, you can't force these guys to healthy when they're at home.
    I know what you mean... But if these guys get it drilled into their heads that diet can affect their field play then maybe it'll turn the culture around. Personally speaking I think this might be something small that pays off big for us. It's like Caldwell is teaching these guys how to be men, vs letting them what they want.

vCash
    To build off what LFFS said if the veterans and leaders start with the diet it'll force the younger kids to follow suit. You're right nobody can force you to do anything but that peer pressure that'll be in the locker room might chance a few people's minds.

Catches: Yards: TDs: