Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Draft

vCash

2015 Draft

The Browns currently have 10 selections in the upcoming draft. They are listed below:

Round 1: 12 and 19 (from Buffalo)
    Round 2: 11 (43)
    Round 3: 13 (85)
    Round 4: 12 (108) and 16 (112) (from Buffalo)
    Round 5: 11 (139)
    Round 6: 13 (173) and 22 (182) (from Baltimore)
    Round 7: 12 (204)

The overall number will change once supplemental picks are given, but this is how it stands now.

Let's try to keep draft talk in here and FA/FO/Cut moves in the offseason thread. Only 122 days until the Browns Super Bowl.

THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR

vCash
    Package Johnny Fooseball, Gordon and Gilbert for a first round pick.

#DoubleNickels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brownies236 View Post
    The Browns currently have 10 selections in the upcoming draft. They are listed below:

Round 1: 12 and 19 (from Buffalo)
    Round 2: 11 (43)
    Round 3: 13 (85)
    Round 4: 12 (108) and 16 (112) (from Buffalo)
    Round 5: 11 (139)
    Round 6: 13 (173) and 22 (182) (from Baltimore)
    Round 7: 12 (204)

The overall number will change once supplemental picks are given, but this is how it stands now.

Let's try to keep draft talk in here and FA/FO/Cut moves in the offseason thread. Only 122 days until the Browns Super Bowl.
    Top Needs outside of QB questions- WR, WR, D-Line, OLB, RT, O-line depth, Secondary depth

I think we need to add 2 WRs (one probably early in the draft). We need a DE/OLB or a DL first round talent that can come in right away and make a serious difference. Either a top end DT to clog the middle or a sack machine to provide pressure along with Kruger.

vCash
    I agree with the package then White, Clemmings, Jalean, and line help first 4 picks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Package Johnny Fooseball, Gordon and Gilbert for a first round pick.
    I doubt that is even close to enough to get a first. I am guessing each player by himself would be hard to get a third. Three thirds don't net a first.

THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR

vCash
    D-Line isn't as big of a need as people want to assume. Injuries killed that unit. But Say Gilbert and Gordon to Oakland for their 2nd would be good. Then Trade JFF and a 6th to Philly for Sanchez. I don't care at this point. Johnny cannot stay.

vCash
    honestly, i would draft a QB with one our 1st rounders. we cannot hand the job over to johnny manziel after what we saw this year and getting a veteran in free agency to "keep the seat warm while such-and-such learns" would make no sense and is a complete waste of time in this era of football. i'm not sure if amari cooper will fall to 12, but we should at least be able to get parker. i think we need a top flight WR opposite gordon (assuming he stays). i don't think we need to go crazy on the defensive side of the ball because our defense hit with a lot of injuries. just getting those guys back will improve the defense in my opinion. so, getting a QB, WR, ILB shouldn't be a problem. no matter what happens this offseason, drafting a QB is an absolute must.

vCash

2015 Draft

What QB is worth picking at one of those spots though? I'm genuinely curious because to this point it seems like the only QB's worth a 1st round pick are Mariota and Winston and both will be gone well before our pick. Is Hundley the 3rd QB to get picked with Connor Cook returning to school? I haven't had time to actually study the QB options but from a distance they certainly seem to be rather underwhelming. If there are any that you think can be worthy of the 12th or 19th pick though let me know because I'd love to watch some of them and see what it is I'm missing.

I'd rather use those picks to bolster our team in the trenches or add a talented skill player like at WR as you mentioned. Mike Pettine and Ray Farmer constantly talk about minimizing the QB's job/responsibility so upgrading at RT and building a truly elite run blocking offense would seem to go hand in hand with that. Plus our secondary should be very strong moving forward. Adding a legitimate run stopper to our defensive line or a true pass rusher would help our defense take that next step. Winning both sides of the ball in the trenches is huge. It allows us to control the game and makes the play action in our offense that much more dangerous. We saw that with Hoyer early on in the year. One benefit of this offseason too is that for the first time in a while our QB is going to be able to actually study the playbook and have familiarity with the offense coming into camp. With all the changes the past few years our QB's haven't been able to have that luxury. Hopefully Johnny can benefit from that.

vCash
    Agreed. We won't be getting Mariota (which sucks) or Winston (which actually is OK with me...his off field crap scares me). After those 2, the QB position drops off significantly. Wasting either #12 or #19 on a reach would be foolish. We need help at WR as well as O-Line (right side), D-Line (Rubin is an UFA, Kitchen is a RFA, Taylor coming off injury, Bryant coming off injury), DB (aside from Joe Haden, there are either injury concerns, maturity concerns, or ability concerns with each of the DBs on the roster), TE (Jordan Cameron seems intent on seeing what's out there in free agency...and someone will overpay considering his potential...the Browns can't overpay because of the injury questions), and even LB (Sheard is an UFA and Robertson is a RFA). We can't afford to reach for yet another QB...there aren't a whole lot of quality signal callers out there in the free agent market, either. I am sure that a couple of the QB prospects will climb the draft boards as we get closer...but from what we know right now, it is Mariota and Winston and then everyone else...much further down the board.

Looking at walterfootball's QB rankings and projections...Dak Prescott (if he comes out) is the only other QB that they have ranked as a 1st/2nd round pick...and I'm not sold at all on him as an NFL quarterback.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015QB.php

Looking at drafttek's rankings...they have Brett Hundley listed as 23rd best player in the draft. If you are 100% sold on him, he would be a reasonable pick at 19...IF the front office is completely sold. After that...I am intrigued by Kevin Hogan, but haven't watched enough Stanford football to be completely sold, Gunner Kiel is another guy to watch later in the draft if he declares (flaky in his recruiting and played against inferior competition at Cincy and should go back to Cincy for more seasoning), Bryce Petty is another interesting prospect (system QB?). Not a whole lot to get excited about unfortunately.

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Dra...gs/Top-QBs.asp

Hopefully...Johnny Manziel extracts his head from his sphincter and becomes an NFL quarterback...I don't expect this, but it would be REALLY nice!!! More likely...he is what he is and we go looking for QB #27,861,063 (oh wait...it only FEELS like that many) since coming back. Maybe Ray Farmer should spend some time with Urban Meyer...we can't find ONE quarterback and Urban has shown that he can win with any QB on his freaking roster!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    Agreed. We won't be getting Mariota (which sucks) or Winston (which actually is OK with me...his off field crap scares me). After those 2, the QB position drops off significantly. Wasting either #12 or #19 on a reach would be foolish. We need help at WR as well as O-Line (right side), D-Line (Rubin is an UFA, Kitchen is a RFA, Taylor coming off injury, Bryant coming off injury), DB (aside from Joe Haden, there are either injury concerns, maturity concerns, or ability concerns with each of the DBs on the roster), TE (Jordan Cameron seems intent on seeing what's out there in free agency...and someone will overpay considering his potential...the Browns can't overpay because of the injury questions), and even LB (Sheard is an UFA and Robertson is a RFA). We can't afford to reach for yet another QB...there aren't a whole lot of quality signal callers out there in the free agent market, either. I am sure that a couple of the QB prospects will climb the draft boards as we get closer...but from what we know right now, it is Mariota and Winston and then everyone else...much further down the board.

Looking at walterfootball's QB rankings and projections...Dak Prescott (if he comes out) is the only other QB that they have ranked as a 1st/2nd round pick...and I'm not sold at all on him as an NFL quarterback.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015QB.php

Looking at drafttek's rankings...they have Brett Hundley listed as 23rd best player in the draft. If you are 100% sold on him, he would be a reasonable pick at 19...IF the front office is completely sold. After that...I am intrigued by Kevin Hogan, but haven't watched enough Stanford football to be completely sold, Gunner Kiel is another guy to watch later in the draft if he declares (flaky in his recruiting and played against inferior competition at Cincy and should go back to Cincy for more seasoning), Bryce Petty is another interesting prospect (system QB?). Not a whole lot to get excited about unfortunately.

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Dra...gs/Top-QBs.asp

Hopefully...Johnny Manziel extracts his head from his sphincter and becomes an NFL quarterback...I don't expect this, but it would be REALLY nice!!! More likely...he is what he is and we go looking for QB #27,861,063 (oh wait...it only FEELS like that many) since coming back. Maybe Ray Farmer should spend some time with Urban Meyer...we can't find ONE quarterback and Urban has shown that he can win with any QB on his freaking roster!!!
    I like Hundley as a potential QB but not at 19. I would take him probably with our 2nd round pick and have him compete with Johnny from the beginning. The reason I'd want to use our 2nd rounder is because of the reasons you listed above. We need to add other positions as well unless we are planning to trade up for Mariota. He is a very intelligent Kid who should put in the time required to learn how to be an NFL QB. He has shown major inconsistency at UCLA, but I think he has a really good shot to transition well into the NFL. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

vCash
    12. Shelton
    19. Erving
    43. Kendricks
    77. Greene
    111. Ramik Wilson
    115. McBride
    Last edited by carlessyen; 05-01-2015 at 06:02 PM.

vCash
    Hogan only QB id touch in this draft, with the best in the class returning for his senior year, really weak class. Garrett Grayson or Sean Mannion if I had to have one in this class.

vCash
    If Shanny stays with the Brownies, Kirk Cousins will be on this team come May. Team is looking for a vet to compete with Johnny and not to draft another high pick at the position at this time. If Shanny leaves then don't be surprised to see the team make a run at Sam Bradford if STL and him cannot come to an re-structured deal or even Sanchez/Foles depending on what Philly does.

As for the top couple picks. Already hear a lot about Devante Parker WR from Louisville as Farmer has strongly scouted him for 2 years now. Team loves his ability to gain free release, catching the ball at its highest point and using slight movements to gain separation. Farmer usually doesn't value WR's apparently high but with Gordon's issues and him most likely gone it seems that he will be willing to make a high pick on the position if a player he values is there. Remember he tried trading up to #11 last year for 2 players, Beckham and Lewan.

Also been hearing Malcom Brown DT out of Texas and Brandon Scherff out of Iowa. Some inside Berea believe Scherff can be this years version of Zack Martin.

#fiftyfive

vCash
    Nice thing about this draft as well, very top heavy in the positions badly of need for Cleveland DT, pass rushers, OT and WR where they should be able to get all three top level talents in their first 3 picks.

Jordan Cameron seems to be in line to be Tagged this off-season so the team can see if he can stay healthy next year before a contract but if somehow he got out, Maxx Williams from Minny at TE is a very interesting prospect to me.

Sounds like the team will try bringing back Buster as well.

Steve Doerschuk ‏ @ sdoerschukREP 7m 7 minutes ago
    Depth, big-game insurance one reason Browns itching to keep Buster Skrine. Joe Haden hasn't played a full season four years in a row.
    And have been hearing that the team could possibly kick the tires on Suh TFWIW.

#fiftyfive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Nice thing about this draft as well, very top heavy in the positions badly of need for Cleveland DT, pass rushers, OT and WR where they should be able to get all three top level talents in their first 3 picks.

Jordan Cameron seems to be in line to be Tagged this off-season so the team can see if he can stay healthy next year before a contract but if somehow he got out, Maxx Williams from Minny at TE is a very interesting prospect to me.

Sounds like the team will try bringing back Buster as well.

And have been hearing that the team could possibly kick the tires on Suh TFWIW.
    IMO Suh would make the D much better. Taylor should be able to play 5 technique end and that would be one less position to worry about. If they could land Suh, I would be ecstatic. Doubt it happens though.

I would not touch any QB in this draft except for mid round developmental. There will be one that impresses and makes it, but I would not put too much stock in anyone after Mariotta. I would not even draft Winston - sorry Otto.

THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast