Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The new Browns' coaching staff "loves" 2012 sixth-round pick Billy Winn and believes he "easily" can play defensive end in Ray Horton's 3-4.
    It should be noted that numerous NFL scouts considered Winn a potential late first-round prospect before a relatively underwhelming senior year at Boise State. 23-year-old Winn showed well as a rookie, coming on very strong as a run defender down the stretch. He'll likely be Cleveland's right end in the new 3-4, with Ahtyba Rubin at left end and Phil Taylor manning the nose.
    The Browns expect Phil Taylor to be the nose tackle in their new 3-4 defense.
    It may seem obvious, but fellow 330-plus-pound defensive tackle Ahtyba Rubin had a case to play nose, as well. Rubin will likely be a mammoth "five technique" in the Red Bryant mold. Taylor, 25 in April, came off PUP in Week 9 this past season to close strong, grading out positively as a run defender per Pro Football Focus' ratings. Taylor was also a 3-4 nose tackle at Baylor.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...ll-player-news

That is going to be a big defensive line with Winn, Taylor, and Rubin. Definately going to take on some blockers and leave some room for the LB'ers (hopefully they get some good ones in here). Also should allow DQ more room to play in this 3-4 then what he had in 2009-2010 when he really struggled.

I also think they can get away with Rucker as a five tech DE in the 3-4 if he puts a little more mass on but I guess that would be a lot of money to be spending on a backup to Winn and Rubin where you could probably find a more polished 5-tech DE in FA to replace him and just eat his guaranteed money.
    Last edited by ottograham14; 02-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    If we release Rucker, doesn't that put us under the cap floor even more? I am confused, because Haslam (as previously Stone noted) said that we would not make a splash in FA. How can we get to the floor then? What is the rule for the cap this year? Do we have to get to the floor this year or just a percentage closer to the floor this year? Can contracts that we have currently move up signing bonuses to this year to get to the cap floor?
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosar4president View Post
    If we release Rucker, doesn't that put us under the cap floor even more? I am confused, because Haslam (as previously Stone noted) said that we would not make a splash in FA. How can we get to the floor then? What is the rule for the cap this year? Do we have to get to the floor this year or just a percentage closer to the floor this year? Can contracts that we have currently move up signing bonuses to this year to get to the cap floor?
    Happy Holidays everyone (or whatever time of the year this article finds you)! I guess I should introduce myself first. My name is Mikey and I’m a Browns fan (Hi Mikey). I am a part of this great site not only for my obsessed fandom but also for my newly acquired knowledge of the NFL CBA, specifically the salary cap. I am here to break down financial transactions that occur in today’s NFL. A little disclaimer: I don’t have any “sources” (yet?), and as found everywhere else, contracts are freaking difficult to read and interpret. Therefore most of my analysis will be labeled estimated. If every player contract was public record then I would have exact numbers down to the penny, but guess what, I don’t. If anyone reading this has those, however, I would be thrilled to have access to it!

I’m positive that either from TV, Radio, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, hell even LinkedIn you have seen or even made comments like this:

“Did you hear that every NFL team HAS to spend their 90% of the league’s salary cap next year?!”

“Why didn’t the browns spend money on Mario Williams or Vincent Jackson with all the cap room they had!?”

“LOL look at those idiots in Jacksonville with $20.1m in cap space, they are going to be SO screwed”

“DERP”

You’ve also seen members of the media state that in 2013 a league wide salary cap floor begins, and every NFL team has to spend 90% of the salary cap. This is partially true; it is also deceiving and downright lazy on their part not to explain it on a more accurate basis. That is what I’m going to do today. I’ll start with a previous post from Pro Football Talk with updated cap space for all 32 teams. There are currently 7 teams not spending 90% of the leagues allotted salary cap, $120.6m, our beloved Browns have the 3rd most cap room according to Florio’s source. I have seen many a fan, even a few media, freak out over why were not spending our $14.5m to plan for the cap floor for next season.

Here is the exact section from the 2011 NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement outlining how it works, but as I’ve stated before, ****’s tough to read so I’ll make it a lot simpler to follow.

The percentage to follow is actually 89%, not the 90% that’s been thrown around. There are also 4 year periods to base the 89% cap floor on, 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.

I like to learn with examples so that’s how I’m going to break this down. In the previously linked CBA section, there is an example, however it is too simple. I have to make it complicated to fully educate. I’m going to ignore any speculation regarding how the salary cap is going to be much higher in 2014 and beyond based on a new TV deal for this example. The 2013 cap number of $121m was just announced today.

Here is an example of what the salary cap would be with a 5% annual increase 2014-2016, along with what a calculation of what the spending floor would be.

We have a $460.32m 4 year cap floor to deal with. With the estimated annual growth of the salary cap, the percentage of annual cap space a team needs to spend in 2013 is much less than future years to ensure they reach the spending floor. With this example, does anyone want to see how little a team can spend in 2013 and still reach the floor? “YES, MIKEY, STOP TEASING ME WITH THIS” Ok ok, here goes.

That’s right, the Cincinnati Bengals (or any other frugal franchise) can spend 52.6%, $63.1m, 63.74 million Wendy’s 5 piece spicy nuggets, of the 2013 salary cap. BTW yes I’m upset that the original Wendy’s nuggets aren’t 99 cents anymore. I’ll let everyone catch their breath for a minute because as Marty McFly says “This is heavy”. Remember, this is only an example, and the league salary cap numbers I used will, without a doubt, be different.

So after reading and understanding this, can we put to rest the myth of the 2013 salary cap floor? Please!? If you have any questions regarding anything here please ask me on Twitter, I’d be happy to answer.
    http://www.draftbrowns.com/2012/12/t...ary-cap-floor/

This is a very good website fyi for all cap information regarding the Browns. I wasn't able to post the graphs so click on the link if you want to see those.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Jimmy Haslam stated on February 1st, that they’re going to build through the draft and not likely to make any “big, splashy, high-priced moves” when discussing signing free agents. That basically gives the assumption that they’ll spend the bulk of their salary cap space on the players they had under contract for the 2012 season.

Long Term Extensions

Based on current contracts these are the 5 players I see as a possibly getting extensions on their current contracts that aren’t set to expire in a few months and what I project to happen.

Alex Mack

Extended. He’ll get a deal very similar to Ryan Kalil in 2011, probably a bit higher, making him the highest paid center in the league. This will likely set the market for when the Pouncey brothers are up for extensions. I’m going to project a 6-year $50m deal with $30m guaranteed and a $19m signing bonus.

TJ Ward

Extended. TJ’s deal will be similar to Michael Griffin’s that was signed last year. I used Griffin because his deal was an extension from the team that drafted him, and was coming off a rookie contract. Ward’s deal will be around 5 years, $37m, $16m guaranteed, and a $10m signing bonus.

Joe Haden

Not Extended. This is the only one I’m not sure about. Joe will be in the 4th year of his 5 year deal. On one hand, with the recent suspension, his market value should be down a bit. Also, the talk about Revis wanting an ABSURD contract should scare the living crap out of Haslam and Banner. On the other hand, signing him will actually take money off our salary cap number since he was a part of the last rookie class making big money. His 2013 cap number is around $8.5m. I could see an extension done during the 2013 season but not in the offseason.

Montario Hardesty

Not Extended. Hardesty still has to prove he’s the “lightning” to Trent Richardson’s “Thunder”. So he’ll play the 2013 season in a “contract year” to prove his worth.

Shaun Lauvao

Not Extended. Lauvao is talked about the weak link in the Browns’ offensive line. Just like Hardesty, Shaun will need to prove himself that he’s a long-term piece for this franchise.

Since Peter King’s number includes Alex and TJ’s current 2013 cap number, I have to take the difference between the old deal and my projected new deals. Recently it was reported that Mack reached incentives that increased his base salary for next season, but since that was reported after January 7th, I’m assuming it wasn’t included.

Here’s where we’re at after the rookie contracts and extensions.

I’m not qualified to say that Alex Mack is the best center in the league, but it just so happens he’s the next young center to set the market on the young, elite centers in the league. Just like you’re hearing about Joe Flacco, he’s not the best QB in the NFL, he’s just the next one up for a new contract.
    http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/02/s...rm-extensions/

Once again graphs can be found on the link.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Hello class, this is Cap Planning 101. I’m Professor Mikey, if you’re not here for this class, I urge you to stick around anyway, you might learn something! I don’t give exams, homework, or dirty looks, only a classroom that promotes critical thinking and basic mathematics.
    Lectures will cover the salary cap number that Peter King stated in his MMQB column on January 7th. I’m referring to his statement that the Cleveland Browns have $47 million worth of salary cap room available to spend this off season. That is an absurd amount of money to even fathom to normal folk like us, but I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t give Jimmy Haslam, Joe Banner, and Michael Lombardi the right to give blank checks to all the top tier free agents that are set to hit the market on March 12th at 4 pm New York time. (Take note of this calendar that the folks at bucsnation.com put together.)

The $47 million needs to be earmarked for draft picks, players to be re-signed by the Browns whose contracts are expiring, extending contracts of players currently under contract, THEN we can talk open market free agents.

Today we’re going to cover with the easiest and most accurate to estimate, which is the cap money that will go towards the 2013 Cleveland Browns draft class. The NFL CBA states that rookie contract values increase the same percentage as the league salary cap does. The 2013 cap number is rumored to be close to $121m, up from $120.6m in 2012. That’s a 0.33% increase. Below you’ll find a chart of picks from 2012 of which the Browns hold in the 2013 draft along with their contract details:

In the spreadsheet I created I have the signing bonus and base salaries that were provided by http://www.rotoworld.com/ which calculated the cap number for each player. If you would like a more detailed breakdown, leave a comment and I’ll provide what you’re looking for.

In the next chart, I use the picks the Browns have and add in the increase in contract value. I’m no Miss Cleo, so there is no way I’ll project any sort of trades.

So in conclusion, I just knocked $5.409m off the $47m that the Browns will have available to spend in the 2013 offseason. I’m going to keep an additional chart at the bottom of every “lecture” to keep track of what we covered.
    http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/01/s...kie-contracts/

Graphs on links.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Good stuff bro!!!

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    I've been reading those Salary Cap explanations too. Great reads. Quick to the point reads that are very educational.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brownies236 View Post
    I've been reading those Salary Cap explanations too. Great reads. Quick to the point reads that are very educational.
    Yeah I was going to post the NFL's rules and salary explanations but that has a lot of jargon in there that nobody needs to waste time on. DraftBrowns and Dawgsbynature are by far the best blogs to go to for stuff like this at least concerning the Brownies.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Great info. Thanks Otto!!! So, let me get t his straight. The period is in four year increments and the total salary cap for the four years has to be met by 89 % after adding each years actual salaries up. That makes sense. We may want to make some moves because we don't want to have to be at the cap max in years two three and four to make up for a poor year one.
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosar4president View Post
    Great info. Thanks Otto!!! So, let me get t his straight. The period is in four year increments and the total salary cap for the four years has to be met by 89 % after adding each years actual salaries up. That makes sense. We may want to make some moves because we don't want to have to be at the cap max in years two three and four to make up for a poor year one.
    I really think Jimmy is just trying to not get a lot of fans hopes up via FA this year with fans already thinking they have to spend all of this money on UFA not on the team already. They are going to have to sign multiple players no matter if they want to or not this offseason just to replace the depth they are losing and because of the lack of draft picks (2nd round) and the transition to two different systems. I think what he means is that don't expect the big 12-16 million a year deals being thrown out but you will probably see 1 or 2 guys signed in the 8-10 million range (Hopefully Kruger and Sean Smith on the defensive end) and then a couple guys in the 4-6 range to fill out a roster.

I don't think Jimmy is patient enough either to continue just to build strictly thru the draft especially without a 2nd round pick this year. I expect him/Banner to do more than Heckert was able to do the past three years and if he was bright he would see that this team is close to being a .500 ball club if they can add 1-2 impact FA's in their 20's and then some nice depth to go with the core that would be from the draft.

It feels his comment meant that they are going to build their core through the draft while not going crazy in FA but adding additions that fit what they want to do.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    “They’re studying,” Haslam said. “I think we have a pretty good feel for what our needs are. They’re going to look at free agency, and they’re going to look at the draft. I think we’ll be selective in what we do in free agency, but if there’s some talent out there that matches our needs and it’s at the right dollar level, then I think we’ll probably make some moves. I don’t think you’ll see us make any big, splashy, high-priced moves because I think we’ve said all along we’re going to build through the draft.”
    http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/clevela nd-browns-1.270107/owner-jimmy-haslam-tells-report ers-browns-will-have-qb-competition-1.369744

I also read comments like this from Jimmy and think he is just goating everyone and whenever FA occurs he will go out and get what he wants at whatever price it is as long as he and the FO/coaches feel that they are necessary for this team. Who knows these days, only a month left to go.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi says the Browns re-signing impending free agent K Phil Dawson is "not happening."
    Dawson, 38, was the team's "franchise" player the last two seasons, but it sounds like the Browns want to get younger. Dawson went on to make 29-of-31 field goals and all 29 extra points in 2012, making his first Pro Bowl. He's drilled 14-of-15 field goals from 50-plus yards over the last two seasons, so he has some juice left in his leg.

Said this three weeks ago but got some validation to it now. I hope whoever they bring in can figure out the wind of the Lake because if they don't it will be a long season. The best options in college coming out too are all warm weather kickers in Florida's Caleb Sturgis, FSU's Dustin Hopkins and Okie St. Quinn Sharp. My homerism says Hopkins in the 7th but Sharp might be the better option due to playing in Stillwater.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Free agent FS Dashon Goldson would be due $7.5 million if franchise tagged by the 49ers for the second consecutive season.
    NFL.com's Albert Breer believes it could make Goldson the "toughest" of San Francisco's free-agent decisions. Delanie Walker, Randy Moss and NT Isaac Sopoaga are also headed for the open market. The soon-to-be 29-year-old veteran is coming off one of the best seasons of his six-year career. Goldson's safety-mate Donte Whitner is signed for $3.75 million in 2013.

Possibly could be a name the Browns look at for FS as I don't see them retaining Young and if they do I don't see him starting.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    I don't really listen to Grossi much anymore. He's been wrong on everything thus far except for Lombardi, which was called by way more than just him. You can tell he's bitter against this regime because he doesn't seem to have any sources anymore and is getting beat to stories left and right. It's definitely possible Phil is playing elsewhere next year, but I'll wait until someone else reports it.

That, and I still can't stand the thought of Phil elsewhere

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    I don't really listen to Grossi much anymore. He's been wrong on everything thus far except for Lombardi, which was called by way more than just him. You can tell he's bitter against this regime because he doesn't seem to have any sources anymore and is getting beat to stories left and right. It's definitely possible Phil is playing elsewhere next year, but I'll wait until someone else reports it.

That, and I still can't stand the thought of Phil elsewhere
    Great points on Grossi. He really does seem butthurt about the new FO. I don't understand why he thinks that he deserves something from the team. He is a reporter that is there to report on them impartially but that isn't anything close to what he does. He had gotten better when he first moved to ESPN from PD but now he is back to the same as he was when he was leaving there. Its quite sad.

I think Phil is gone though. It seems like they do want to get younger at the position and I hope Phil can catch on with a team that is close to SB contending. Really hope SF looks at him. If he goes to Dallas to be closer to his family then good for him but Phil don't expect to win there anytime soon.

HOYERMANIA!!!

Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast