Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Last edited by letsgobrownies7; 01-31-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: edited due to a deleted post quote that I removed.

TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brownies236 View Post
    Did you mean Gordon? I also don't think we need 2 FA CB. I have liked Seam Smith out of Miami as a strong #2 next to Haden and would rather see a CB drafted or try and develop Wade. But I also want some Zona players to help smooth the transition. If they get one off of that list I hope its Kruger to help our backers.

I think some sort of receiver, kicker, punter, and TE will be brought in like you said. Guard will also be looked at although it is hard to tell not knowing what is going on with Pinkston. I am sure the Browns know what kind of recovery he will have and are not in the dark as we are.
    No I meant Benjamin. Benjamin doesn't play the slot well. He is a more speedy, small outside WR that is better getting vertical or cutting on drags and curls. Can see Chud maybe trying to utilize him like a Steve Smith but without the aggressiveness that Smith had that Benjamin clearly doesn't. Little is probably the best slot option outside of Norwood and Cooper who might not be retained this offseason on the current roster as he can use his body like a TE to get in the middle and post up and find the soft spots. He just needs his hands to be more consistant like he did in the second half and I think they could run a lot of 3 WR sets with Gordon and Hartline/Benjamin on the outside while Little and the TE's cover the middle. Possibly retain Cooper as a 5th or 6th WR for the slot too if they stick with Weeden. Chud and Turner have never really used a small possession slot WR though in their vertical systems but instead big TE's (Gates, Olson, Shockey etc.) and big WR's with good hands (Jurevicous, Louis Murphy, Naanee) to cover the middle while having bigger, speedy WR's on the outside. Hartline and Benjamin aren't big but as second and third options would be better than what they have had recently.

vCash
    Outside linebacker is a serious area of need for the Browns. Here are a few options I see them looking at when free agency begins:

Paul Kruger (Ravens) - got better and better as the year went on. Especially when Suggs.

Manny Lawson (Bengals) - before joining the Bengals he was an OLB/pass rusher for the 49ers. Just ok at rushing the passer but is dependable in coverage. Big body.

Connor Barwin (Texans) - had a breakout season in 2011 but didn't match it this past season. Brooks Reed and Whitney Mercelius could make him expendable as he could get a big pay-day elsewhere.

Quentin Groves (Cardinals) - never lived up to the hype in Jacksonville and played well when he arrived in Oakland. Revived his career under Horton. Has lined up at 4-3 DE and OLB as well as OLB in Horton's 3-4 defense. Still has plenty of tread left on the tires, Cleveland could be his only opportunity to start having knowledge of Horton's scheme.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonevision View Post
    Outside linebacker is a serious area of need for the Browns. Here are a few options I see them looking at when free agency begins:

Paul Kruger (Ravens) - got better and better as the year went on. Especially when Suggs.

Manny Lawson (Bengals) - before joining the Bengals he was an OLB/pass rusher for the 49ers. Just ok at rushing the passer but is dependable in coverage. Big body.

Connor Barwin (Texans) - had a breakout season in 2011 but didn't match it this past season. Brooks Reed and Whitney Mercelius could make him expendable as he could get a big pay-day elsewhere.

Quentin Groves (Cardinals) - never lived up to the hype in Jacksonville and played well when he arrived in Oakland. Revived his career under Horton. Has lined up at 4-3 DE and OLB as well as OLB in Horton's 3-4 defense. Still has plenty of tread left on the tires, Cleveland could be his only opportunity to start having knowledge of Horton's scheme.
    Like all four as possibilities with Kruger and Barwin being the only two that are Starters though and the other two are depth.

BTW Manny Lawson has always graded out negatively in coverage for his entire career. He is stout against the run and a very average pass rusher but he is only a two down player. Could be a cheap rotational player with Sheard as the pass rusher on 3rd Down but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick in Cincy as he has played OLB and DE there and had good production in their 4-3 even if he is better suited for the 3-4. They mix up their schemes a lot though with Zimmer out of the base 4-3.

vCash
    ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes the Patriots would trade Ryan Mallett "in a heartbeat" if they were offered an early second-round pick.
    Reiss' response to a chat question about Mallett suggests he doesn't believe the Pats fancy him as Tom Brady's heir apparent. (We don't believe they do, either.) Reiss says he'd be "surprised" if New England got that kind of offer, but it's not impossible. Perhaps new Browns VP of Player Personnel Mike Lombardi -- a known Mallett lover -- would dangle the 68th and 101st overall picks.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...l-player-news/

Say the Browns can get Mallett or Alex Smith for their 101st 4th Round pick. Do you do it and for whom?

vCash
    If Chud, Norv, our scouts, etc., are all sold on Alex Smith then I say **** it, trade a 4th for him. If they have a legitimate plan in place and he's one of the components of that then I'm fine with them going out and getting their guy. I'd be very cautious about dealing for Mallett though. I'm not sure that he's an upgrade from Weeden in any way other than age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    If Chud, Norv, our scouts, etc., are all sold on Alex Smith then I say **** it, trade a 4th for him. If they have a legitimate plan in place and he's one of the components of that then I'm fine with them going out and getting their guy. I'd be very cautious about dealing for Mallett though. I'm not sure that he's an upgrade from Weeden in any way other than age.
    I feel that if they go after Smith too that they can let him compete with Weeden and have the winner come out of pre-season winning the job instead of being handed it because sadly there is no one out there right now or on the Browns roster that should just be handed a starting QB job this offseason at least IMO. Bringing in a guy like Smith would show me too that they are serious about trying to at least win right now in the fact that Smith has been a winning QB the past 3 years and is hitting his athletic prime right now as a QB if he did win the job. Smith has concerns but Mallett has a lot of ?'s as he still has never started a game and like you said he is very similiar to Weeden in their skill set. Also I think they would push harder for a guy like Mallett to just be handed the job unlike Smith.

Either way I just don't want the QB situation to be dealt with like last year where the FO/coaches say that it is a competition but yet easily announce Weeden the starter. I believe Chud and Turner will actually bring in competition this offseason in some sort and no matter what will actually play the best overall QB that gives them the chance to win no matter what they did to get that QB ala the Seahawks last year with Wilson/Flynn/Jackson.

vCash
    That's a good way of looking at it. We're definitely going to see what Weeden's made of through all of this. It has got to be tough seeing yourself being criticized so much. Hopefully he's taking this as a challenge and pushing himself to improve rather than sulking like we've seen some QBs do in the past.

vCash
    I really dont wana waste picks unless we go hog wild and sign some big needs in FA!

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgobrownies7 View Post
    I really dont wana waste picks unless we go hog wild and sign some big needs in FA!
    Completely agree...we have holes and if we trade picks for yet another quarterback, we aren't filling the holes. If they are aggressive in filling holes via free agency...giving up a 4th or maybe a conditional 2nd-4th next year for Alex Smith wouldn't be the end of the world. Not having a 2nd this year (not complaining about it because I see Josh Gordon having a GREAT sophomore season) really makes me want to hold on to the rest of the picks.

vCash
    its kinda dumb to trade for Smith. I think there's a solid chance he is released because of the money he's suppose to make. So if he is released and the Browns wanna make an offer then fine, if not Weeden deserves a chance in a real system that's more him style.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    its kinda dumb to trade for Smith. I think there's a solid chance he is released because of the money he's suppose to make. So if he is released and the Browns wanna make an offer then fine, if not Weeden deserves a chance in a real system that's more him style.
    I agree here.

vCash
    Haslem said during his media availability at the SuperBowl that the Browns are going to be selective during the upcoming free agency period. With none of their own UFAs likely to get re-signed how could they possibly meet the league minimum salary number? I would expect to see extensions coming for Alex Mack and TJ Ward as a starting point.

vCash
    Phil walking would be a huge mistake.

vCash
    Impending free agent DE Juqua Parker is unlikely to return to the Browns.
    Parker, 35 in May, signed a one-year deal with the Browns last offseason, and he put together a nice year with six sacks. Unfortunately for him, the Browns are moving to the 3-4 defense, and he doesn't have a spot. The long-time Eagle will likely have to settle for another one-year pact this offseason.
    The Cleveland Plain Dealer wonders if Browns DE Frostee Rucker is a candidate for release.
    Cleveland just signed Rucker to a five-year, $20.5 million deal last offseason, but with the team's switch to a 3-4 defense, he doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Rucker has always been a 4-3 end. He started all 16 games in 2012, registering four sacks. Rucker has $2.5 million in guaranteed money left on his contract.
    roto

Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast