Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think if the Browns wait he will be cut then they won't have to surrender any picks. But if the are worried KC may have an edge for some reason on landing him than trading makes sense to secure him.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    I really don't get why the Browns are linked to Smith. I get our QB is questionable and a new regime is in. I just don't see Smith being the guy. One of his biggest knocks is his lack of talent for down the field throws. Chud wants to run a down the field passing attack with power run mixed in. Seems like Smith wouldn't fit in. Chud said he would coach to strengths of players, but I do not see us making a big push for him as he doesn't have the skills we want and he isn't a vast upgrade at the position that would warrant changing the offensive philosophy.

I get why he is linked to KC as they are QB needy, and will run a WCO under Reid. Smith would fit there.

vCash
    I think if the new coaches and FO don't have faith in Weeden they will view Alex Smith as a decent stop gap QB until they find their guy.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    Once again, posted previously but an article on Smith and his deep throws. Also Smith is connected here because before Harbaugh took over the best season he had with the Niners was when Turner was his OC in 2006 so there is a tie there and Turner has in the past repeatadly stated that Smith has the armstrength to succeed in his offense due to his time.

According to Pro Football Focus, Smith had a 111.4 rating on throws that traveled 20 or more yards last year, a marked improvement from his 47.5 rating in 2010. Per PFF, Smith’s rating on such throws in 2011 topped those of Drew Brees (107.3), Eli Manning (103.2) and Tom Brady (87.7).

Now, I wouldn’t suggest Smith was a better deep passer than that trio based on a higher passer rating. For starters, in the 49ers’ buttoned-up, run-heavy attack, Smith benefited from the element of surprise when he went deep.

In addition, passer rating is an imperfect statistic. Brees, for example, had a lower passer rating than Smith thanks to his six interceptions on deep throws, but his less-risk-averse style netted him a touchdown on every 4.3 deep passes (Smith averaged a TD every 8.5 passes).

I’d take Brees’ numbers over Smith’s, regardless of the rating.

Still, the issue isn’t whether Smith is the equal of Brees, Manning or Brady when it comes to flinging it downfield. It’s whether he’s capable of connecting with his new offensive weapons on routes beyond curls, quick outs or bubble screens.

The numbers below, which compare Smith against the NFL’s top quarterbacks, suggest he’s better equipped to go deep than many might think:

THROWS OF 20-PLUS YARDS IN 2011 (includes playoff games)

(From Pro Football Focus)

AARON RODGERS, Packers (16 games): 129.1 QB rating

33 of 66, 1,264 yards, 14 TD, 1 INT

MATT SCHAUB, Texans (10 games): 125.3

14 of 37, 499 yards, 5 TD, 0 INT

TONY ROMO, Cowboys (16 games): 123.8

32 of 61, 1,166 yards, 13 TD, 2 INT

ALEX SMITH, 49ers (18 games): 111.4

21 of 51, 723 yards, 6 TD, 2 INT

Note: In 2010, Smith completed 9 of 36 passes for 316 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions on throws of 20-plus yards (47.5 rating).
    http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/05...-deep-threats/

Now like they said, this could be the element of surprise helping Smith in 2011 with the Niners very good running game and it also showed by the comparison numbers that even though he played more games than everyone he went over 20 yrds the least amount of times but still he was able to connect on those when given the opportunity. I think with the O-line here, the running game that is being built and the WR's abilities that it would not be a tough transition for Smith coming here at least compared to the other QB's available where they all seem to be still on the learning curve.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Once again, posted previously but an article on Smith and his deep throws. Also Smith is connected here because before Harbaugh took over the best season he had with the Niners was when Turner was his OC in 2006 so there is a tie there and Turner has in the past repeatadly stated that Smith has the armstrength to succeed in his offense due to his time.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/05...-deep-threats/

Now like they said, this could be the element of surprise helping Smith in 2011 with the Niners very good running game and it also showed by the comparison numbers that even though he played more games than everyone he went over 20 yrds the least amount of times but still he was able to connect on those when given the opportunity. I think with the O-line here, the running game that is being built and the WR's abilities that it would not be a tough transition for Smith coming here at least compared to the other QB's available where they all seem to be still on the learning curve.
    I remember that previous post. Smith also plays in the NFC west. San Fran (nice weather) and 2 domes. 10 games a year, weather isn't really thought of as a problem for him. CLE on the lake in winter and the outside AFC North with Smith will be like watching McCoy IMO. Granted Smith is better, I just think his deep balls will float in the wind and get held up.

Personally, I would wait until next year as you pointed out Otto. I think there is more talent, and I doubt Smith is signing a one year deal. Don't want to get too much tied up in a guy that I think is serviceable at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brownies236 View Post
    I remember that previous post. Smith also plays in the NFC west. San Fran (nice weather) and 2 domes. 10 games a year, weather isn't really thought of as a problem for him. CLE on the lake in winter and the outside AFC North with Smith will be like watching McCoy IMO. Granted Smith is better, I just think his deep balls will float in the wind and get held up.

Personally, I would wait until next year as you pointed out Otto. I think there is more talent, and I doubt Smith is signing a one year deal. Don't want to get too much tied up in a guy that I think is serviceable at best.
    Oh I agree with all of this but like I said previously too that if the FO is serious about bringing in competition for Weeden I think Smith would be the best out of everything available and wouldn't hog tie as say a high draft pick again. Also I think Smith will be traded and not released as the Niners will want to get something about of him instead of paying him the 1 million in cap. Also if he does hit the open market I know teams are desperate for QB's on the open market but remember that the market wasn't the greatest for him last year where it basically was the Dolphins or go back to the Niners on a 1 year deal after they lost out on Manning.

I say stick with Weeden but I hope they are actually serious about bringing in competition and good competition for him to actually push him this offseason and see if he sinks or swims. If he sinks at least we know not too put anymore time in him as at least a Franchise QB and can just go with the stopgap till they believe they found that person.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Oh I agree with all of this but like I said previously too that if the FO is serious about bringing in competition for Weeden I think Smith would be the best out of everything available and wouldn't hog tie as say a high draft pick again. Also I think Smith will be traded and not released as the Niners will want to get something about of him instead of paying him the 1 million in cap. Also if he does hit the open market I know teams are desperate for QB's on the open market but remember that the market wasn't the greatest for him last year where it basically was the Dolphins or go back to the Niners on a 1 year deal after they lost out on Manning.

I say stick with Weeden but I hope they are actually serious about bringing in competition and good competition for him to actually push him this offseason and see if he sinks or swims. If he sinks at least we know not too put anymore time in him as at least a Franchise QB and can just go with the stopgap till they believe they found that person.
    I really hope they just stay with Weeden as well and focus on the other holes this year.

vCash
    Source has told me #Browns are one of the teams #49ers QB Alex Smith is interested in.
    -Keith Britton

Yet another obvious statement from Britton

vCash
    Keith Britton ‏@KeithBritton86
    Source has told me #Browns are one of the teams #49ers QB Alex Smith is interested in.
    If this is what the Browns want we have to back it. Just want to be on record I don't think this is a good idea.

vCash
    Beat me to it.

vCash
    Justin Higdon ‏@afc2nfc
    Are the Browns interested in him? RT @KeithBritton86: Source has told me #Browns are one of the teams #49ers QB Alex Smith is interested in.
    Interesting to see how CLE media responds to this one.

vCash
    It's the CLE media so safe to say the response will be negative

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    It's the CLE media so safe to say the response will be negative
    I'm sure there will be comparisons to Couch, Weeden as they are also 1st round picks, and end with McCoy should be starting.

vCash
    MKC is dripping with excitement right now as she can't ever seem to write anything by herself unless its a QB controversy.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Schefter said on Mike and Mike that the Jets should offer Revis to the Niners for a second and Alex Smith. smh, I would hope you could get more in return for Revis than that but who knows.

HOYERMANIA!!!

Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast