Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Offseason - 2013 edition

Well...after that disgusting loss, time to start looking at the offseason. My wish list is included below.

1. Pat Shurmur = unemployed! Replacement = ANYONE with even a little charisma, personality, and creativity should be considered...experience be damned!

2. Brandon Weeden = replaced by yet another quarterback in our never ending carousel of QBs by the lake. He looks lost back there WAY too often! Unfortunately, free agency doesn't look like a good place to find one...maybe via trade, but most likely via the draft.

3. Either a veteran WR or a possession type receiver to help the youngsters continue their progression (Amendola, Hartline, Bowe, Jennings...all unrestricted thus far).

4. CB help...whether it be via free agency, trade, or the draft...whatever it takes to limit the time that Buster Skrine is on the field will help!

5. Phil Dawson = RESIGN...one of the best in the league at what he does

6. Safety help opposite TJ Ward.

7. A new Punter...nothing personal, Mr. Hodges, but you have been stealing money this year...one of the worst averages in the league, Don't let the door knob hit ya where the good lord split ya!!

8. Guards, Guards, Guards!!! We have every other O-Line position pretty well handled...now we need to fill in the gaps between Thomas, Mack, and Schwartz. This may not be a bad place to look via free agency.

9. Veteran LB depth. James Michael-Johnson, Kaluka Maiava, LJ Fort, Craig Robertson, and Tank Carder aren't terrible...but having someone there to push/groom them wouldn't be a bad idea.

10. Pass Rush consistency...someone that can put pressure on the QB from the outside with a little consistency (not that our pass rush has been terrible this year...but someone that opposing teams HAVE to double team would be a very nice thing to have).

I don't think that we are far from being VERY competitive in the division, especially with Baltimore and Pittsburgh getting older. The #1 thing that I see while watching this football team is an inability to finish. In several games this year we have gotten leads and been unable to finish them off...not to mention way too many field goals inside the Red Zone. We need someone with some imagination, creativity, and someone with a willingness to put MORE points on the board when they already have the lead. If they are able to find a coach that can do that, we don't necessarily NEED everything else mentioned above...their ability to keep the football away from the opposition will mask the less pressing needs.

Before today, I was very optimistic about this football team. Today's game definitely put a dent in that optimism, but it also has pretty much sealed Pat Shurmur's fate, which is a good thing.

I BADLY want to go into next season being able at least THINK my team is going to compete for a playoff spot. We won't be doing that with Shurmur at the helm!

Thoughts?

vCash
    Dont talk about Weeden they love him I got made fun of all offseason and begining of the season for saying the Browns shouldnt use that first on a QB pick and should get one next year. I said Wilson, Cousins, and Foles would all be better NFL Qbs and they laughed at me and ridiculed me. Weeden doesnt have pro level confidence same as in baseball. He is afraid to get hit, and hes afraid to throw it down field because he doesnt have the accucracy or eye to do so he turns it over, at moments he has moments of brilliance but hes not the answer. Id love to have Geno but its not gonna happen we will drat that corner or Teo without a doubt.

vCash
    I say...bring in Kevin Jones!!! lol

I was against taking a quarterback last year as well...why jump to judgement on McCoy when he was surrounded with inferior talent. The local paper had a comparison of McCoy's first 13 games last year and Weeden's first 13 this year...eerily similar with Weeden having better protection, a better running game, better receivers, and the playcalling duties taken away from Shurmur.

How much better COULD McCoy have been this year? Would he have been better with a 1st or 2nd string running back to hand the ball off to rather than 3rd, 4th, and 5th stringers last year? Would he have been better throwing the ball to Josh Gordon, Greg Little with a year of experience under his belt, and T-Rich out of the backfield? Would he have been better with a REAL RT protecting him?

We DO need to find some stability at the quarterback position...but I am not sure that I want to watch Brandon Weeden for another year or two. Whichever direction they decide to go in, they are already going to have a head start over what McCoy was screwed with last year...they will have REAL NFL talent surrounding them on the offensive side of the football.

vCash
    I wanted Weeden to play this season or battle with Wilson, Cousins, Or Foles. There was no QB battle they brought in Weeden to replace they were in love with him. Colt would have played better, and Weeden isnt the answer. Im not saying those guys were either but they are better pro style QBs, and they are def showing it. I think Colt deserved his shot, against a late safe pick, and thne next year when the stock was great as it will be in this draft get your QB. Id love for it to be Geno becaus eI believe he can make all the throws and has the confidence to be great in this league, ive seen him make throws im not sure anyone else could have. But I agree Colt would have done better then Weeden this season. And I believe we have talent at most positions that went under used because of struggle at QB position you cant keep blaming the recievers. Little and Gordon are very capable as well as Benjamin from time to time to break one away. This guy is afraid to let it fly, and has dipped and dumped all season, or under and over threw guys. I know hes a rookie, but his age not really, he should have matured more. His problem isnt understanding offenses, or meshing with players like the usual rookie players, its fear, and lack of confidence which is something he shouldnt be struggling with at his age and pro and college experience, he may never get over it. I know we wont go QB again though they wont wanna admit they are wrong like the Cavs and TT lol. So I hope we at least get Teo,Jones,Banks,Vaccaro. My favorite move would be trading down though and getting Tavon Austin, and anothe rpick in second or third. I think Austin with Little, and Gordon already holding down the corners would bring alot of excitment. I know we have Benjamin but hes same kinda speed with alot more brought to the table.

vCash
    Damontre Moore, DE is every mock drafts selection for us, but I think we are fine on the defensive line I love the line. Sheard, Taylor, Rubin, Rucker, Hughes, Parker are playing great football in my opinion. I dont see it as a major need replacement for Brown in secondary minor need, but Skrine and Patterson have played okay. But wouldnt mind if it was a lockdown player like banks. I think Linebacker, Secondary ar minor needs, Wr a minor need, as well as tightend. We dont need alot we have a good young team need to mature, and better coaching, I hope we can find a good coach in the offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    1. Pat Shurmur = unemployed! Replacement = ANYONE with even a little charisma, personality, and creativity should be considered...experience be damned!
    My favorites in order are; David Shaw, Mike McCoy, Chip Kelly, Rick Dennison, Brian Schottenheimer, Rob Chudzinski, Pat Fitzgerald, Alan Williams, Eric Mangini

2. Brandon Weeden = replaced by yet another quarterback in our never ending carousel of QBs by the lake. He looks lost back there WAY too often! Unfortunately, free agency doesn't look like a good place to find one...maybe via trade, but most likely via the draft.
    I think we need to give him one more year. He is throwing to young developing WR. Trent Richardson hasn't been 100%. And he has had Shurmur calling the plays. Plus he is a rookie, lets give him another season.

3. Either a veteran WR or a possession type receiver to help the youngsters continue their progression (Amendola, Hartline, Bowe, Jennings...all unrestricted thus far).
    I would prefer Hartline or Amendola, personally

4. CB help...whether it be via free agency, trade, or the draft...whatever it takes to limit the time that Buster Skrine is on the field will help!

6. Safety help opposite TJ Ward.

8. Guards, Guards, Guards!!! We have every other O-Line position pretty well handled...now we need to fill in the gaps between Thomas, Mack, and Schwartz. This may not be a bad place to look via free agency.

10. Pass Rush consistency...someone that can put pressure on the QB from the outside with a little consistency (not that our pass rush has been terrible this year...but someone that opposing teams HAVE to double team would be a very nice thing to have).
    This is my first mock draft that I think will hit most of those needs:

Round 1- Dee Milliner CB (Alabama)
    Round 3- Tony Jefferson FS (Oklahoma)
    Round 4- Brandon Jenkins DE (Florida State)
    Round 5- Blazie Foltz G (TCU)
    Round 6- Michael Williams TE (Alabama)
    Round 7- James Wilson G (Florida)

5. Phil Dawson = RESIGN...one of the best in the league at what he does
    This should be the second priority behind firing Shurmur, Phil has been loyal through it all. Give him the contract he has earned/deserves.

7. A new Punter...nothing personal, Mr. Hodges, but you have been stealing money this year...one of the worst averages in the league, Don't let the door knob hit ya where the good lord split ya!!
    I like the Quinn Sharp from Oklahoma State. We should be able to nab him as a un-drafted free agent. The kid has a good leg, and may be able to develop into a good place kicker to.

9. Veteran LB depth. James Michael-Johnson, Kaluka Maiava, LJ Fort, Craig Robertson, and Tank Carder aren't terrible...but having someone there to push/groom them wouldn't be a bad idea.
    I think that's where Jackson, Gocong, and hopefully Fujita comes into play.
    Last edited by ClevelandFan11; 12-17-2012 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandFan11 View Post
    My favorites in order are; David Shaw, Mike McCoy, Chip Kelly, Rick Dennison, Brian Schottenheimer, Rob Chudzinski, Pat Fitzgerald, Alan Williams, Eric Mangini
    Now that's a name that I haven't heard...but I love his passion. I am not sure if he is developmentally ready for the NFL or even personally ready to leave Northwestern (he is VERY passionate about Northwestern football). This would be a risky hire, but someone along his lines would be okay with me...passionate, creative, willing to take chances, etc... He has been able to take marginal talent and win football games with the Wildcats...we have marginal talent that has some VERY good players...what could he do with that?

vCash
    Now that's a name that I haven't heard...but I love his passion. I am not sure if he is developmentally ready for the NFL or even personally ready to leave Northwestern (he is VERY passionate about Northwestern football). This would be a risky hire, but someone along his lines would be okay with me...passionate, creative, willing to take chances, etc... He has been able to take marginal talent and win football games with the Wildcats...we have marginal talent that has some VERY good players...what could he do with that?
    I think if we get a good OC to come in with Fitzgerald, he would do great.

vCash
    This offseason is going to be a pretty busy one. I expect there to be a lot of movement all around. I hope that we are able to hire/retain the correct personnel need to right this ship and get us on track to being good and no longer one of the laughables in the NFL

vCash
    I have only really heard about Lombardi coming to Cleveland, and I have been dreading the day that this would happen. However, came across this article today. Links David Caldwell Director of Player personnel in ATL. Would welcome him over Lombardi in a second IMO.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...?sct=uk_t11_a5

vCash
    A few key dates to keep in mind this offseason. Combine: February 20-26. NFL League Year/FA begins at 4:00 pm EST, March 12. Draft is April 25-27.

vCash
    Bored so he goes a really rough Mock:

1. Manti Teo LB Notre Dame. They take BPA IMO but I could really seem them trading down.

3. Tyler Bray QB Tennesse. I mocked Bray because of the JH3 connection with UT. I wanted to go with CB Nickell Roby from USC but couldn't pull the trigger.

4. Tryann Mathieu CB LSU. I think this is a risk pick but well worth the gamble.

5. Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina. He is worth the risk this late in the draft and could be IRed the whole season without hurting the team. If he recovers well he could make Hardesty expendable and would be a good RB to pair with Trent or he could become great trade bait.

6. Tobias Smith OG Miss State. Depth pick here.

6. Cameron Meridith DE Nebraska. Another Depth pick.

7. Josh Evans S Flordia. Much needed Safety depth.

I also see us getting a comp pick for Hillis and Adams leaving in FA.

Don't riddicule this too much. I was just bored and decided to make one.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    agreed! I don't want just anyone though lol. They need to do a good investagation and find the right man.

let me ask you this- Are the Browns a QB away from winning the superbowl? my answer to that is of course not. Browns still have needs elseware. Considering this draft class for QB's is very weak and the FA/trade market will pretty much be vick, Smith, Flynn why get rid of Weeden? Lets get him a real system, another year of experience and see what happens. He has the arm thats for sure. Alot of his problems can be corrected. Hate to give up on a rookie.

agreed. Little, Gordon, Travis are good WR's and I like them. Would also like to add a veteran who can help them grow but still be a factor himself.

I think CB or LB should be are 1st pick

I agree with pretty much everything else
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    let me ask you this- Are the Browns a QB away from winning the superbowl? my answer to that is of course not. Browns still have needs elseware. Considering this draft class for QB's is very weak and the FA/trade market will pretty much be vick, Smith, Flynn why get rid of Weeden? Lets get him a real system, another year of experience and see what happens. He has the arm thats for sure. Alot of his problems can be corrected. Hate to give up on a rookie.
    I'm still a believer in Weeden but did anybody think the colts would go 10-5 or the redskins be in the playoff hunt with their rookie qbs? Grant it, those guys are once a decade talents but in this new nfl it's becoming clear a rookie qb can be the difference. that being said, i'm all for keeping weeden for one more year, maybe draft a project late in the draft such as logan thomas or the kid from syracuse but give weeden one more year, then dump him if necessary.

vCash
    The more I see of Weeden, the less impressed I am with him. The more I watch today's game, however, the more I question whether it is his fault or the fault of the idiot calling the plays. I will say that if we stick with Weeden at QB, he will need to show marked growth next year in hitting receivers in stride, throwing to receivers on 3rd down that have a legitimate chance of getting the first down (not having to make 3 people miss), and looking off defenders.

Of my list of ideas for the 2013 offseason, replacing Weeden is one that I could go both ways on. If they stick with him, they need to find another guard to help him out and a veteran/possession type receiver to provide the youngsters with some guidance...at the minimum! He isn't a guy that is going to LEAD the team to the Super Bowl...he is the type of quarterback that the team may get to the playoffs in spite of (like a Trent Dilfer).

I just want to be able to watch winning football....sooner rather than later!

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast