Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    I disagree with quality>quantity.

One or two players is not going to turn this team into a contender. SA is making the right moves trying to put us in position to compete in 4ish years, with David/Niese as dependable veteran leaders ushering in a slew of 'spects.

We are bad. Stockpile talent, and cross your fingers. That's our best bet to get back to meaningful baseball. Not sacrificing for a "missing piece". We could do that with the team with the core of Delgado-Beltran-Wright-Reyes. There is no plugging leaks at this point.

To reiterate... we are bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Norwegian View Post
    I disagree with quality>quantity.

One or two players is not going to turn this team into a contender. SA is making the right moves trying to put us in position to compete in 4ish years, with David/Niese as dependable veteran leaders ushering in a slew of 'spects.

We are bad. Stockpile talent, and cross your fingers. That's our best bet to get back to meaningful baseball. Not sacrificing for a "missing piece". We could do that with the team with the core of Delgado-Beltran-Wright-Reyes. There is no plugging leaks at this point.

To reiterate... we are bad.
    So, based on what you are saying, you would rather have Gose, McGuire, Arencibia, Gonzales, Pillar, and Dyson for Dickey instead of d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, and Becarra?

Quality ALWAYS is better than quanity. Getting the most high ceiling talent is the way to go and I'm glad Sandy realizes that. That is why we have Wheeler, TDA, and Syndergaard.

vCash
    And I know people are gonna give me the "But look at the first half of last year!!". Yes, that was incredible, the fact that we were even over .500, much less challenging for a spot in the playoffs. But once we stopped hitting .950 with 2 outs and .999 with RISP, you all saw the team we really were.

A ton of bumps in the road for this franchise.

http://nationals.mlb.com/team/roster...e.jsp?c_id=was
    http://braves.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=atl
    http://phillies.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=phi

and then

http://marlins.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=mia
    http://mets.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=nym

Anyone really want to tell me that we're anything close to being top 3 in our division the next 2 years? Really?

The Nationals are loaded and Harper is probably a hall of famer.
    The Braves have a ridiculously athletic squad that's been to the playoffs.
    The Phillies still have Hamels-Halladay-Lee, and veteran hitters that can get those pitchers leads.

Then it's us and the Marlins. 2 rosters devoid of established talent. But only one of the fanbases thinks that their team can go anywhere.

I will ecstatically eat my own words. But I don't see it.
    Last edited by Angry Norwegian; 12-18-2012 at 05:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    So, based on what you are saying, you would rather have Gose, McGuire, Arencibia, Gonzales, Pillar, and Dyson for Dickey instead of d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, and Becarra?

Quality ALWAYS is better than quanity. Getting the most high ceiling talent is the way to go and I'm glad Sandy realizes that. That is why we have Wheeler, TDA, and Syndergaard.
    I'm not sure that's what I'm saying. I'm not saying "**** quality". I am saying, don't throw 5+ of touted prospects for one player, because I don't think it will turn this team into a winning club.

vCash

I am trying to make this point.

vCash
    I guess I shouldn't have made a statement as strong as "quantity>quality". Maybe that's not the way to communicate what I'm trying to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Norwegian View Post
    I'm not sure that's what I'm saying. I'm not saying "**** quality". I am saying, don't throw 5+ of touted prospects for one player, because I don't think it will turn this team into a winning club.
    You're right, I don't want Stanton for that reason. I'd rather just pay for him outright when/if he reaches FA.

vCash
    Makes no sense to trade for Stanton when he'll be a free-agent soon and he's definently not re-signing in Miami. If you trade for him, you'll still have to pay him large to keep him from the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Rangers, Dodgers. You might as well just wait until he's a free-agent and keep all your youth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    Makes no sense to trade for Stanton when he'll be a free-agent soon and he's definently not re-signing in Miami. If you trade for him, you'll still have to pay him large to keep him from the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Rangers, Dodgers. You might as well just wait until he's a free-agent and keep all your youth.
    Gonna take four more seasons before that though, right when we should be extremely relevant.

vCash

It's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

I'd rather have 3 guys that I've determined each to have a 10% chance of becoming an all-star than 1 guy with 25% chance. There's a line there. Collectively between those 3 10% guys, there's a 27.1% chance one of them becomes an all-star.

Swap Dyson and Syndergaard and how do those two deals look?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    It's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

I'd rather have 3 guys that I've determined each to have a 10% chance of becoming an all-star than 1 guy with 25% chance. There's a line there. Collectively between those 3 10% guys, there's a 27.1% chance one of them becomes an all-star.

Swap Dyson and Syndergaard and how do those two deals look?
    I was just throwing random, non-elite names out there.

Would you rather have 6 medium-ceiling guys, or 3 high ceiling ones?

That is basically what I mean by quality>quantity

vCash
    I was just throwing random, non-elite names out there.

Would you rather have 6 medium-ceiling guys, or 3 high ceiling ones?

That is basically what I mean by quality>quantity

It would depend on the probability of each player reaching their ceiling. There's some medium-ceiling guys who are much more likely to reach their ceilling than others. There may be some super-high ceiling raw type youngsters but are 20-1 shots in realizing that potential. Also injury proneness would have to be factored in.

If they all had the same exact % chance of reaching their ceilling, then yes, I'd probably take the high-ceiling guys. But add a couple more medium-ceiling guys to that side of the deal (make it 8) and it probably swings the other way (but still close)

vCash
    I haven't posted in a while, but does anyone else think Cory Vaughn looks like Stanton? I think the Mets should put Vaughn on the fast-track considering there aren't that many internal options for the OF.

thanks to grkmaster for the amazing sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DjD3990 View Post
    I haven't posted in a while, but does anyone else think Cory Vaughn looks like Stanton? I think the Mets should put Vaughn on the fast-track considering there aren't that many internal options for the OF.
    No. Consider that they are the same and then think about that again.

vCash
    We will never get AmerigoVespucci Stanton

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast