Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 650
  1. #571
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27,446
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN
    I keep getting texts from officials around baseball lauding Mets. Unfamiliar territory.

    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN
    Most recent text, from AL executive: "Insane trade. Alderson abused the Blue Jays."
    Getting the Blue Jays to take Nickeas is where the abusing became comical.


    ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

  2. #572
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    6,830
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah Nickeas was laughable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #573
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,565
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Getting the Blue Jays to take Nickeas is where the abusing became comical.

  4. #574
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,124
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Getting the Blue Jays to take Nickeas is where the abusing became comical.
    I think the fact that we gave up 2 catchers who could barely hit a baseball is amazing.

    Yes R.A. Dickey is an ace and is coming off a CY Young season, but what we got in return is just mind blowing. Especially when guys like Flores and Familia were names being thrown around to who the Jay were getting as the 3rd prospect/player.

  5. #575
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,124
    vCash
    1500
    We have 3 spots open now on the 40 man.

  6. #576
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,565
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I think the fact that we gave up 2 catchers who could barely hit a baseball is amazing.

    Yes R.A. Dickey is an ace and is coming off a CY Young season, but what we got in return is just mind blowing. Especially when guys like Flores and Familia were names being thrown around to who the Jay were getting as the 3rd prospect/player.
    Yeah it's amazing the secondary players on the Mets side were Thole and Nickeas.

    I mean this might be the only instance where Nickeas has trade value.

    I could have swore that Familia or Tapia were gonna be part of this deal as well.

  7. #577
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27,446
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I think the fact that we gave up 2 catchers who could barely hit a baseball is amazing.

    Yes R.A. Dickey is an ace and is coming off a CY Young season, but what we got in return is just mind blowing. Especially when guys like Flores and Familia were names being thrown around to who the Jay were getting as the 3rd prospect/player.
    I disagree what we received was a fair trade for one of the best pitchers in the game.

    The fact that Nickeas was the mystery prospect is just too funny, especially considering that some BJs fans were hoping they were getting Wheeler.

    Comedy Gold.


    ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

  8. #578
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,516
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I disagree what we received was a fair trade for one of the best pitchers in the game.

    The fact that Nickeas was the mystery prospect is just too funny, especially considering that some BJs fans were hoping they were getting Wheeler.

    Comedy Gold.
    I was convincing myself that the best deal we could get for Dickey was Olt straight up, maybe another decent prospect with him. So this sweet return was not expected for me.

  9. #579
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,124
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I disagree what we received was a fair trade for one of the best pitchers in the game.

    The fact that Nickeas was the mystery prospect is just too funny, especially considering that some BJs fans were hoping they were getting Wheeler.

    Comedy Gold.
    What I am saying is that 3rd guy was sure to be a Familia or someone like him, but even after that the deal would have been fair.

    I think if you take in Dickey's age, his short body of work, and him not being a traditional knuckleballer he has just as many question marks as these prospects.

    We all love R.A. Dickey. He is a great person, great story, and a fantastic pitcher/baseball player. However that doesn't mean he still can't be a question mark going forward because of his age.

  10. #580
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Up along first, behind the bag.
    Posts
    1,146
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    Right, because Jeff Loria had a $100+ million payroll year in and year out. Oh, wait...



    And as soon as you saw they'd get out of it, you changed your tune from "They're broke!" to "They're hoarding money!" Because once your first boogeyman wasn't enough to bounce them from ownership, you needed a new boogeyman to do the trick.



    You really can't see how these two claims contradict each other? If you don't know how much money the Wilpons have, you can't say that you know they're draining the team to restore personal wealth. You weren't even right about the financial issues they were facing in the first place; we've since learned that their assets were frozen during the Picard business, which explains why they couldn't even operate the team without borrowing from MLB. If they had enough money from SNY, why the hell would they take out bank loans and MLB loans? Why put a magnifying glass on it? Obviously, the answer is that they wouldn't, so your contention that they have liquid assets simply because SNY is profitable is incorrect.



    That's not why they've tanked. They've taken because their big-ticket expenditures weren't enough to make them competitive, and left them in payroll hell. That 2009 team had a $135 million payroll (second in baseball by the same guys you say operates from the Jeff Loria school of baseball management) and won 70 games. $132 million in 2010 chalked up 79 wins. $120 million in 2011 netted us 77. Clearly, we took a wrong turn at Albuquerque. If the Wilpons never encountered the financial problems, they would have had to spend Yankee money to correct Minaya's mistakes, which they clearly do not have. Whoever the next GM was, they would have had to cut payroll regardless of the status of ownership, because no version of the Wilpons could have swung a $190+ million payroll.

    Then the assets were frozen, forcing an even bigger salary dump. Now they're not, but the Wilpons still aren't back to normal after the Ponzi losses, and won't be for some time. This is where Alderson's wizardry on the trade market pays dividends, because instead of patching together a team and hoping it wins enough to keep fans interested, they're rebuilding the farm with an eye towards winning before fans come back to the stadium. Tampa, Baltimore, and now Kansas City have employed this same strategy to great results.



    I've read your posts plenty. There's no substance to it. See your earlier posts in which when pressed to explain yourself, you retreat into the one argument that anyone can ever make against ownership legitimately, which is drafting below slot. But even then, you can't tell me who we've missed out on for doing it. Well, you tried, but you were flat-out wrong.



    I seem to recall the equity of Citi Field plummeting as recently as last year, so not all of their assets are "soaring." Also, do you not understand how credit works? Being late on payments hurts it. The Wilpons, if I remember correctly, were late on payments for bridge loans last year. That's not good for one's credit.



    You really don't know what a conspiracy theory is?



    The only Wilpon apologist I've encountered on the forum is that guy with the Alfred E Newman avatar. He seems to jump in front of bullets for them on a daily basis. The rest of us are simply excited that our plan for the future is taking shape. The rebuild is finally in full swing, and we can start setting our watches for spring of 2014.
    I was in the middle of a response to this post when I realized practically the only jughead in America who used to go around claiming the Wilpons had their assets frozen (Google it) was ReyesRulez, who was permabanned for being foul and abusive to pretty much everybody.

    I then remembered ReyesRulez was also the only guy that kept using the term conspiracy theorist whenever he heard something he didn't like.

    I then said - "wait a minute... ReyesRuleZ... WoodyHoopZ... Oh, no!

    Welcome back old friend, but it's against the rulez (he, he!) to register again with another user ID after you've been permabanned. Oh, Moderator!

  11. #581
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    231
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I was in the middle of a response to this post when I realized practically the only jughead in America who used to go around claiming the Wilpons had their assets frozen (Google it) was ReyesRulez, who was permabanned for being foul and abusive to pretty much everybody.

    I then remembered ReyesRulez was also the only guy that kept using the term conspiracy theorist whenever he heard something he didn't like.

    I then said - "wait a minute... ReyesRuleZ... WoodyHoopZ... Oh, no!

    Welcome back old friend, but it's against the rulez (he, he!) to register again with another user ID after you've been permabanned. Oh, Moderator!
    Coupon creating more boogeymen to get out of an argument. I'll take this as your white flag.

  12. #582
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    6,863
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I was in the middle of a response to this post when I realized practically the only jughead in America who used to go around claiming the Wilpons had their assets frozen (Google it) was ReyesRulez, who was permabanned for being foul and abusive to pretty much everybody.

    I then remembered ReyesRulez was also the only guy that kept using the term conspiracy theorist whenever he heard something he didn't like.

    I then said - "wait a minute... ReyesRuleZ... WoodyHoopZ... Oh, no!

    Welcome back old friend, but it's against the rulez (he, he!) to register again with another user ID after you've been permabanned. Oh, Moderator!
    I don't think attacking someone like that is a valid argument for what you saying. Also there's no proof he's ReyesRulez.

  13. #583
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Up along first, behind the bag.
    Posts
    1,146
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    Coupon creating more boogeymen to get out of an argument. I'll take this as your white flag.
    No fooling man. You're pretty much the only guy in America who thinks the Wilpons had their assets frozen in the Madoff case:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=wilpo...NI_V0gHckYCADQ

    Busted!

  14. #584
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,361
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I then remembered ReyesRulez was also the only guy that kept using the term conspiracy theorist whenever he heard something he didn't like.

    I then said - "wait a minute... ReyesRuleZ... WoodyHoopZ... Oh, no!

    Welcome back old friend, but it's against the rulez (he, he!) to register again with another user ID after you've been permabanned. Oh, Moderator!
    ReyesRules wasn't perma banned, or was he? He wasn't. His ban is over.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-17-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

  15. #585
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    822
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I disagree what we received was a fair trade for one of the best pitchers in the game.

    The fact that Nickeas was the mystery prospect is just too funny, especially considering that some BJs fans were hoping they were getting Wheeler.

    Comedy Gold.
    Agree.

Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •