Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I was thinking over this and I just realized something... I'm 99% sure the prospect from the Mets won't be good at all. Probably not even top 10. The reason I say this?

1. Dickey was the best available pitcher on the market. David Price, Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Clayton Kershaw, Stephen Strasburg, Jered Weaver, and Gio Gonzalez were not available. Will not be available. So don't even think about it. He was the best there is.

2. Zack Greinke signed for 147 million. Anibal Sanchez signed for 80 million. James Shields received Wil Myers and Montgomery, and Odorizzi in the deal. That is a #3, #30, and a top 50 prospect in a deal for James Shields. Like it or not, they set the market for pitchers... Dickey became the next best thing and his value increased when people saw how much these guys were going for.

Basically the Jays could have either stand pat or made a move. And they didn't want the Angels to get Dickey after getting Hamilton. They didn't want the Rangers to get him. They wanted to make the others weaker and themselves stronger.

Like it or not, Dickey was the best there was. And his value went up because the other teams waited to see how it would play out...

Before the Winter Meetings Dickey for D'Arnaud would be a done deal. After seeing how much the others went for, D'Arnaud wasn't enough. Before the Meetings then I would say that Flores/Wheeler/Davis need to be in the deal. But after seeing how much the other guys went for, the Mets had more leverage with Dickey as a trade piece.

So that's why D'Arnaud + Syndergaard cost Dickey

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I was thinking over this and I just realized something... I'm 99% sure the prospect from the Mets won't be good at all. Probably not even top 10. The reason I say this?

1. Dickey was the best available pitcher on the market. David Price, Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Clayton Kershaw, Stephen Strasburg, Jered Weaver, and Gio Gonzalez were not available. Will not be available. So don't even think about it. He was the best there is.

2. Zack Greinke signed for 147 million. Anibal Sanchez signed for 80 million. James Shields received Wil Myers and Montgomery, and Odorizzi in the deal. That is a #3, #30, and a top 50 prospect in a deal for James Shields. Like it or not, they set the market for pitchers... Dickey became the next best thing and his value increased when people saw how much these guys were going for.

Basically the Jays could have either stand pat or made a move. And they didn't want the Angels to get Dickey after getting Hamilton. They didn't want the Rangers to get him. They wanted to make the others weaker and themselves stronger.

Like it or not, Dickey was the best there was. And his value went up because the other teams waited to see how it would play out...

Before the Winter Meetings Dickey for D'Arnaud would be a done deal. After seeing how much the others went for, D'Arnaud wasn't enough. Before the Meetings then I would say that Flores/Wheeler/Davis need to be in the deal. But after seeing how much the other guys went for, the Mets had more leverage with Dickey as a trade piece.

So that's why D'Arnaud + Syndergaard cost Dickey
    Well thought out post, good job kyubi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That's why this could be a great deal.

The Mets could have a young, cheap rotation in 2014 that consists of a top 4 guys in Wheeler, Harvey, Niese, Gee, with guys like Syndegaard, Fulmer, and Montero all of which are not that far away.

Should allow them to spend on other areas of need, especially if Wheeler and Harvey end up being as good as advertised.

And we all know how expensive quality SP is. (seems like even mediocre SP is for that matter)

That could work to the Met's benefit.
    This is what thrills me the most. It's not just that, if things work out, we'll have a high-quality rotation on the cheap; it's also that we'll have organizational depth there, meaning we'll not only have money to spend elsewhere, but assets to move in trades, as well.

vCash
    Yeah we lost Dickey but the guy is 38, and who knows? Will last year be a fluke? Time will tell. The prospects we have picked up are a tremendous asset to our team, especially travis d'arnaud. Say he develops into a Buster Posey type catcher and say Syndergaard develops into a JJ pre injuries. This trade we might of hit gold. Well goodnight guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by akay47 View Post
    Still no word on who the 2 mystery prospects are?
    The last 2 pieces are Jordany Valdespin and Jacob Anderson, this from WFAN sports radio 66, New York

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METMANYAK View Post
    The last 2 pieces are Jordany Valdespin and Jacob Anderson, this from WFAN sports radio 66, New York
    Really? That would kind of suck.

EDIT: Actually his upside is quite high, but he was terrible last year
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 12-17-2012 at 03:00 AM.

vCash
    Jacob Anderson has big potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mets100% View Post
    Jacob Anderson has big potential.
    Whats the deal with Anderson?

vCash
    Whats the deal with Anderson?
    Big Power Potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mets100% View Post
    Big Power Potential.
    Just read this article on him, no way he is included.

DUNEDIN, FLA. - In taking Jacob Anderson in the first round of the MLB draft last June, the Blue Jays knew they were getting a player with a rare intangible.

Sure, the 19-year-old outfielder from Chino, Calif., is believed to possess raw five-tool potential, but he also looks to be armed with something that cannot be taught.

Jays batting instructor Dave Pano does not waste a word before hitting Anderson’s biggest asset.

“He is a very mature kid for being as young as he is,” said Pano, standing outside the batting cage at the Jays’ minor league complex. “He is not a typical 18- or 19-year-old kid. He handles himself like a professional and has caught on very well at the types of things he has to do.”

Offence seems to come easily for the 6-foot-4, 190-pounder. In his senior year at Chino High School, he batted .485 with seven home runs, 31 RBIs and 25 steals.

Last summer, he got his first taste of pro ball with the rookie-class Gulf Coast League’s Blue Jays where he bashed out 15 hits in 37 at-bats over nine games.

The humble Anderson, however, simply shrugs off his thus-far limited pro success.

“At first, I was a little nervous,” he said, before stepping up to launch several shots over the left-field wall in batting practice. “But then I just thought: ‘This is the same game I’ve been playing my whole life’.

“It was a really fun start, but there is a long journey ahead.”

Anderson signed with the Jays on July 26, despite a previous commitment to Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif. He did receive a $990,000 US signing bonus, but the teenager insists it was not about the money.

“My goal was always to play pro ball since I was a little kid,” Anderson said. “Pepperdine is a great school, but the Jays really believed in me and in my abilities and coming from them, it was really good news. I had great support around me to make that decision, but this is just something I always wanted to do.”

Throughout most of his baseball career, Anderson had split time between first base and third. Yet, the Jays identified his skill set as projecting to be a pro-level outfielder, a decision that he is simultaneously excited about and coming to terms with.

“I am getting more and more comfortable playing the outfield,” he said. “I played the infield for mostly my whole life, so I’m learning every day but just being (at spring training), it helps.

“It’s a work in progress,” Anderson said. “But I’m feeling comfortable and I like playing outfield.”

His coaches would like to see him fill out his big frame, and develop the consistency and command of the strike zone that young players tend to struggle with. Overall, however, they seem to love what he brings.

“He has professional-level at-bats,” Pano said. “He is so fundamentally sound right now and his hitting mechanics are outstanding. When he gets bigger and stronger, he’ll do very well.”

vCash
    Ive been listening to wfan tonight and they definitely never said anderson and valdespin are the other pieces involved in the trade. Im not sure where metmanyak heard that from but it certainly wasnt wfan.

vCash
    If this Anderson kid is included SA did a great job with this trade. He's still has a long ways to go but seems promising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfinest4life View Post
    Ive been listening to wfan tonight and they definitely never said anderson and valdespin are the other pieces involved in the trade.
    I heard this yesterday morning at about 2:30 am, on (I think her name is Laurie Rubinson's) show.

vCash
    Just read this article on him, no way he is included.

DUNEDIN, FLA. - In taking Jacob Anderson in the first round of the MLB draft last June, the Blue Jays knew they were getting a player with a rare intangible.

Sure, the 19-year-old outfielder from Chino, Calif., is believed to possess raw five-tool potential, but he also looks to be armed with something that cannot be taught.

Jays batting instructor Dave Pano does not waste a word before hitting Anderson’s biggest asset.

“He is a very mature kid for being as young as he is,” said Pano, standing outside the batting cage at the Jays’ minor league complex. “He is not a typical 18- or 19-year-old kid. He handles himself like a professional and has caught on very well at the types of things he has to do.”

Offence seems to come easily for the 6-foot-4, 190-pounder. In his senior year at Chino High School, he batted .485 with seven home runs, 31 RBIs and 25 steals.

Last summer, he got his first taste of pro ball with the rookie-class Gulf Coast League’s Blue Jays where he bashed out 15 hits in 37 at-bats over nine games.

The humble Anderson, however, simply shrugs off his thus-far limited pro success.

“At first, I was a little nervous,” he said, before stepping up to launch several shots over the left-field wall in batting practice. “But then I just thought: ‘This is the same game I’ve been playing my whole life’.

“It was a really fun start, but there is a long journey ahead.”

Anderson signed with the Jays on July 26, despite a previous commitment to Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif. He did receive a $990,000 US signing bonus, but the teenager insists it was not about the money.

“My goal was always to play pro ball since I was a little kid,” Anderson said. “Pepperdine is a great school, but the Jays really believed in me and in my abilities and coming from them, it was really good news. I had great support around me to make that decision, but this is just something I always wanted to do.”

Throughout most of his baseball career, Anderson had split time between first base and third. Yet, the Jays identified his skill set as projecting to be a pro-level outfielder, a decision that he is simultaneously excited about and coming to terms with.

“I am getting more and more comfortable playing the outfield,” he said. “I played the infield for mostly my whole life, so I’m learning every day but just being (at spring training), it helps.

“It’s a work in progress,” Anderson said. “But I’m feeling comfortable and I like playing outfield.”

His coaches would like to see him fill out his big frame, and develop the consistency and command of the strike zone that young players tend to struggle with. Overall, however, they seem to love what he brings.

“He has professional-level at-bats,” Pano said. “He is so fundamentally sound right now and his hitting mechanics are outstanding. When he gets bigger and stronger, he’ll do very well.”
    A person in the jays forum just said he K's too much. I don't think he is part of the deal because of his potential.
    Last edited by mets100%; 12-17-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Grammar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfinest4life View Post
    Ive been listening to wfan tonight and they definitely never said anderson and valdespin are the other pieces involved in the trade. Im not sure where metmanyak heard that from but it certainly wasnt wfan.
    lol

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast