Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    yeah i would be down to get glaus, he never had a very good avg, but he always did well taking a walk, his OBP was at least 70 points above his avg, and he generally had a good wOBA, even in his last year .320 wOBA is at least avg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    yeah i would be down to get glaus, he never had a very good avg, but he always did well taking a walk, his OBP was at least 70 points above his avg, and he generally had a good wOBA, even in his last year .320 wOBA is at least avg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
    We're going to go with 5 starters and Ryu will get spot starts and long relief. He also may give Lily some rest from time to time until they're sure he's fully recovered.
    Though I don't necessarily agree with this statement, I must say I do see the validity in your argument.

In Ryu, the Dodgers know they have a pretty remarkable talent, but the last time he threw more than 200 innings was 6 seasons ago. In the last five years, he's only thrown an average of 170 - and that's in Korea, where he's the cream of the crop. He's not likely to fare as well here in the baseball mecca of the world and could pitch less innings purely on merit.

In my estimation the 5th rotation spot is his to lose, but given our rotation depth and the level of talent he's going to face, your scenario isn't beyond the realm of the believable.

Stats referenced - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryu_Hyun-jin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Though I don't necessarily agree with this statement, I must say I do see the validity in your argument.

In Ryu, the Dodgers know they have a pretty remarkable talent, but the last time he threw more than 200 innings was 6 seasons ago. In the last five years, he's only thrown an average of 170 - and that's in Korea, where he's the cream of the crop. He's not likely to fare as well here in the baseball mecca of the world and could pitch less innings purely on merit.

In my estimation the 5th rotation spot is his to lose, but given our rotation depth and the level of talent he's going to face, your scenario isn't beyond the realm of the believable.

Thank God someone sees my reasoning.

this is his contract

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.truebluela.com/2012/12/10/3748440/hyun-jin-ryu-contract-details
    $5 million signing bonus
    2013: $2.5 million
    2014: $3.5 million
    2015: $4.5 million
    2016: $7 million
    2017: $7 million
    2018: $7 million

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash

Thank God someone sees my reasoning.

this is his contract

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.truebluela.com/2012/12/10/3748440/hyun-jin-ryu-contract-details
    $5 million signing bonus
    2013: $2.5 million
    2014: $3.5 million
    2015: $4.5 million
    2016: $7 million
    2017: $7 million
    2018: $7 million

vCash
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryu_Hyu...O_Career_Stats

Interesting thing here im worried about

as he got older in Korea, he pitched less innings. He turned his last season in 2012 into a major league contract but i dont think it was his best

vCash
    Umm they only play 133 games in the KBO if I am not mistaken so worrying about his innings pitched shouldn't be a concern. He would easily touch 200+ innings in most of those other seasons after his mvp season if he pitched over 162 games. For him to pitch 200+ innings in his first 2 seasons is pretty crazy over 133 games. He would get what 5 more starts feasibly in the majors? If anything, I would be more worried that his mechanics are good enough to be effective in the majors rather than worrying about his innings worked in Korea.

vCash
    why would u not be worried that he pitched more his 1st 2 seasons then never hit that number again, even pitching 126 at one point, i want to know why.

he also had 6 non starting games in 2011, why? was he hurt? ineffective? what?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D Blue987 View Post
    Umm they only play 133 games in the KBO if I am not mistaken so worrying about his innings pitched shouldn't be a concern. He would easily touch 200+ innings in most of those other seasons after his mvp season if he pitched over 162 games. For him to pitch 200+ innings in his first 2 seasons is pretty crazy over 133 games. He would get what 5 more starts feasibly in the majors? If anything, I would be more worried that his mechanics are good enough to be effective in the majors rather than worrying about his innings worked in Korea.
    Umm... Sarcasm noted... You seem to have completely missed the point however.

I'm not as concerned about his inability to reach 200 innings in Korea as I am over what it possibly represents.

* Innings Decline - actually declined from 200 in each of his first 2 years, to an average of far less (171 over 5 seasons)

* Higher Pitch Counts - Ryu will face opposition far superior to that of South Korea. More disciplined hitters equal higher pitch counts and can result in shorter starts.

* The Stretch Run - if he has not been stretched out the additional 5 or 6 games that he would pitch in the ML for his entire career, we can't really be too confident that a strong start should hold up through the stretch run or in the playoffs.

I'm not saying he won't be a starter, or even that he won't be good one. I'm simply saying that Tym's view isn't as far fetched as some are making it out to be. That there are some unknown variables that exist. I actually believe the spot is Ryu's to lose and he'll pitch well, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

On a side note, I prefer not to speak in 'absolutes' because the result of a theory can never be known until it is put into practice. For some users, an anonymous username is similar to having an etch-a-sketch. They speak in absolute truths, call people idiots, end up being wrong, then just shake it up and start over again. Never have to own up to it. It bugs the **** out of me.

Tym stepped out and made a prediction and if he's right I suspect it will largely go unnoticed because he won't toot his own horn and those that will have been wrong will never say a word, continuing on as if they had never facepalmed him and hoping no one noticed. I choose not to be one of those guys.

vCash
    Jesus you guys need to chill the **** out. Your criticizing a guy who hasn't thrown a single pitch for us yet. The kid is 25 lol. I get your points but these detailed posts about why he is going to suck need to stop until we see what he is capable of. It's easy to predict he will suck based off of stats. It's easy to predict he will do well too. Just stop worrying until we see what we have is all I'm saying. Give the guy a ****ing chance.

vCash
    Jesus you guys need to chill the **** out. Your criticizing a guy who hasn't thrown a single pitch for us yet. The kid is 25 lol. I get your points but these detailed posts about why he is going to suck need to stop until we see what he is capable of. It's easy to predict he will suck based off of stats. It's easy to predict he will do well too. Just stop worrying until we see what we have is all I'm saying. Give the guy a ****ing chance.
    Do you even read what you're replying to or just assume you know what the whole post says? You seem to have completely missed where I said this...

I'm not saying he won't be a starter, or even that he won't be good one. I'm simply saying that Tym's view isn't as far fetched as some are making it out to be. That there are some unknown variables that exist. I actually believe the spot is Ryu's to lose and he'll pitch well, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.
    #Overreaction?
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 12-17-2012 at 12:23 PM.

vCash
    I remember the same things were said about Kuroda when we first signed him. Now look at him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    I remember the same things were said about Kuroda when we first signed him. Now look at him.
    Let me start by saying no one is suggesting Ryu is going to suck.

Now, while you're statement is correct, there are multiple reasons the suggestion is dissimilar.

1) When Kuroda signed, he was immediately one of the best starters in an otherwise thin rotation that featured Derek Lowe and Brad Penny as the line-towing veterans, and two very young and inexperienced pitchers in Bills and Clay.

2) While we can be hopeful that Ryu will dominate, will his performance in Korea seamlessly transfer to the states? If his performance is even slightly degraded by coming here that makes our glut of starting pitching much more competitive on the back end.

3) Though Kuroda hadn't thrown 33+ games in Japan, he did consistently reach the 180-200 innings pitched plateau. Still, he didn't hit his potential or approach 200 innings in the MLB until his 3rd season with the Dodgers. Granted, he was injured in his second season, but his "per9" numbers were very consistent with his first season. He didn't breakout until year 3 either.

4) Kuroda threw only 4 more innings in his debut year in the MLB than he did the prior season in Japan. (183.1 to 179.2 respectively)

Taking all this into consideration, would it really be inconceivable for the Dodgers to let him work his way out of the bullpen and earn his rotation spot?

Again, I don't think we'll have to worry about it either way, just being objective.

http://www.japaneseballplayers.com/e...php?id=hkuroda

vCash
    Do you even read what you're replying to or just assume you know what the whole post says? You seem to have completely missed where I said this...

#Overreaction?
    Don't try to be an ***. I read your post. All I am saying is let the guy throw a few games before you worry too much about anything. I am reading large posts about all these concerns on the guy. He was a good pitcher in Korea. Who knows how he will pitch in the u.s.a. I'm certainly not worried about his innings pitched.

vCash
    Don't try to be an ***. I read your post. All I am saying is let the guy throw a few games before you worry too much about anything. I am reading large posts about all these concerns on the guy. He was a good pitcher in Korea. Who knows how he will pitch in the u.s.a. I'm certainly not worried about his innings pitched.
    I'm not sure how my reaction to your overreaction is me being an azz... I was merely pointing out that you were being an azz...

Again, I'm not saying Ryu's going to suck. Again, I believe he'll be a good starting pitcher for the year.

I'm just saying that those knocking Tym's position lack objectivity. The fact that you keep reading my attempts to relay Tym's position in an objective manner as a declaration that 'Ryu is going to suck' shines a big bright spotlight on that point.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 12-17-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast