Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    SA has an option to go for stopgaps or build long term....I'm rooting for the latter.
    I also want the long term option.

2013 is irrelevant and should be irrelevant to any smart fan. We shouldn't sacrifice 2015 and beyond for a few extra wins in 2013. In fact, if we are really bad in 2013, then we get a better draft pick, and 2015 and beyond looks that much brighter. Remember that money comes off the books after 2013.

I'm not going to get worked up by any win or loss in 2013. I will see individual performances more than anything. I'd like to see if Duda can become something. I'd like to see if Ike can hit better than .220. I'd like to see if Johan can get back to normal so that maybe a desperate team at the deadline makes a move to get him, netting us more prospects (you never know).

It's not the wins and losses I will look at in 2013, it's the achievements of our young players who will be here long term.

vCash

New CF and RF Needed

Let's assume that Duda stays in LF and WFlores moves to LF and/or RF at AAA this spring as a future corner outfielder [Wright and Davis are going nowhere and he lacks range for middle infield]. Even if Nieuwenhuis is ready he doesn't fill the bill as CFer/leadoff hitter. If we don't get Gose from TOR the only CFer worth signing is Bourn. And with a net $70M payroll so far we can afford him [backloaded $12/16/16/16/16] and another righty power bat---Hairston [$15M for two years], Ross [about the same as Hairston], DYoung [27, though more of a LFer, $12M x 3] or Swisher [switchhitter, just turned 32, but solid #5/6 hitter, $13M x 3] or Soriano [for a medium level prospect and CHI paying all but $10M for two yeas according to reports]---and still keep the payroll under $100M.

Bourn, Tejada, Wright, Davis, Swisher [or Soriano, Young, Hairston, Ross] Duda, D'Arnaud/Buck, Murphy would be solid and well balanced. Budget wise Gose would be ideal as away to save alot of money---I would add in WFlores or Puello to the RA-TDA deal if we could pry Gose loose too....and take Buck and his $6M and add Thole if that got us Gose too.
    Last edited by rdg515; 12-16-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Mike Cameron, Cliff Floyd, Ryan Church...

Why'd all of these names pop into mind?
    Because right around now we could use all three.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    We wish we had an outfielder with Beltrans talent. Even today he would still be our #1 outfielder by a country mile.
    Loved Beltran's game and wish it had ended differently. I still rock the black #15 uni.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

vCash
    Would like one of the two: Hairston/Ross PLUS Swisher. Or if you want to go overboard, Bourn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Would like one of the two: Hairston/Ross PLUS Swisher. Or if you want to go overboard, Bourn.
    Ross would be more expensive than Hairston if they for the sake of discussion even shell out for Swisher. I predict Swisher goes to Seattle.

vCash
    Swisher costs a draft pick, there is no way they will go near him or Bourn.

vCash
    I think people are looking at Bourn the wrong way. Now that we have freed up some cash, you actually offer him a front loaded deal. Give him a good chunk of change (enough to make him take notice and sign) for the first three years and a low number for 4-5. That is assuming you can't sign him for just 3 years.

You have to realize that Bourn's game is about speed and speed disappears fast. He WILL NOT be worth his contract in 4 years. It just won't happen. So, you can't be saddled with a huge number in years 4-5 when he isn't producing.

Bourn adds a lot to this team now. If you could get him on friendly contract, this team could compete in '14 at the least. His improved defense and abilities on the base path are miles above what we had last year. Let him play for 3 years until the young guys are ready and then cut his theoretical friendly contract loose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Mitchell had an MVP season but overall McReynolds was the best player. I liked K-Mac. More than Strawberry in '88, McReynolds should have been the NL MVP with all due respect to Kirk Gibson who was a great player and leader of men.
    Maybe I’m biased, but I’ve always felt like the Mets got screwed twice in ‘88.

McReynolds should’ve been the MVP…followed by Straw. (In my mind I think Gibson was 3rd.)

And I know many will disagree, but I think Cone should have won the Cy Young over Hershiser. I know all about the scoreless streak, but I think from beginning to end, Coney had a better season. Slightly better, but still better.

Then we lose to them in October.

'Fricken Dodgers.

'Fricken Scioscia.

'Fricken Lasorda.

I think I need a drink.

Hopelessly Devoted

vCash
    With the Dickey trade, all I want for Christmas is a FREE AGENT OUTFIELDER!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Because right around now we could use all three.
    We'll bring back Moises Alou and Shawn Green.

Just sign these guys right now and they'll be better than what we have. Even though Alou and Floyd are in their mid-50s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12