Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I agree almost completely. I feel like the Tigers have a very good team that can best be improved by upgrading defensively at SS, 3B, and 1B. Because Miggy and Prince's bats dictate their defensive positions will not change, SS makes the most sense as an avenue for upgrading to a younger and more defensive player. I think the OF is in a good place with only a platoon partner for Dirks a need at this point.

I'm also against the pursuit of an expensive power bat at every position. I think that defense is underrated in this forum (even if it is overrated in the main forum) and OBP is as valuable as SLG (I always wished Ricky Henderson was a Tiger) and would love to see more team speed.

I would love more balance between the present and the future. I think the Prince signing will haunt this team a few years.

All in all, we're generally pulling in the same direction.

New ownership might not spend nearly the money Mr. I has spent to try winning. If and god forbid it happens he should pass before JV's contract is up we can just about kiss him goodbye.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    New ownership might not spend nearly the money Mr. I has spent to try winning. If and god forbid it happens he should pass before JV's contract is up we can just about kiss him goodbye.
    I wonder about that.

How exactly does it work?
    What happens when(if? maybe he's gonna live forever) Mr. I passes? Will the Tigers stay in the Illitch family? Be sold to the highest bidder? Will Little Ceasers take over?
    #teamboom4life

MLB: Tigers
    NFL: Lions
    NHL: Red Wings
    CFB(Div I): Michigan
    CFB(Div II): Hillsdale

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander 77 View Post
    I wonder about that.

How exactly does it work?
    What happens when(if? maybe he's gonna live forever) Mr. I passes? Will the Tigers stay in the Illitch family? Be sold to the highest bidder? Will Little Ceasers take over?
    His family is very involved in the business and would take over similar to what happened to the Yankees.

vCash
    Why wouldn't he be a great guy? He got 209 million didn't he?
    Money didn't make Man-Ram a good clubhouse guy.

vCash
    His family is very involved in the business and would take over similar to what happened to the Yankees.
    Good. That's what I was thinking/hoping for.

Maybe it won't be as bad as some fear if/when he passes then. I mean, it's not like his money disappears when he dies.
    #teamboom4life

MLB: Tigers
    NFL: Lions
    NHL: Red Wings
    CFB(Div I): Michigan
    CFB(Div II): Hillsdale

vCash
    Money didn't make Man-Ram a good clubhouse guy.
    yes thats true. But Manny also did things his way. Manny being Manny.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash

Maybe it won't be as bad as some fear if/when he passes then. I mean, it's not like his money disappears when he dies.
    A younger generation may have a more conservative opinion about spending money, also see Yankees.

vCash

but look at what the Yankees have done since George passed. They are signing guys to one year deals and older players. The yankees are still in the family but they aren't spending moey like George would have. If he was still alive both Hamilton and Grienke would be Yankees today.
    Sure the family will take over when Mr. I passes but will they continue to spend?
    Look what happened when the Pistons owner passed. Sorry drawing a blank. Old age thing. His daughter took over the team and sold it not long after.
    Stay tuned .

vCash
    but look at what the Yankees have done since George passed. They are signing guys to one year deals and older players. The yankees are still in the family but they aren't spending moey like George would have. If he was still alive both Hamilton and Grienke would be Yankees today.
    Sure the family will take over when Mr. I passes but will they continue to spend?
    Look what happened when the Pistons owner passed. Sorry drawing a blank. Old age thing. His daughter took over the team and sold it not long after.
    Stay tuned .
    He was a cheap *** so it's not really the same thing though

vCash
    If I were the GM I'd do anything possible to trade for one of the young stars. Obviously most teams wouldn't be up for it as they are the building blocks but maybe steal away Stanton for the Marlins. Very unlikely I know but one can dream.

Catches: 23 Yards: 210 TDs: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    He was a cheap *** so it's not really the same thing though
    My point was not how much our Piston owner was or was not spending. It was that when he died his daughter sold the team. So it doesn't mean the Illich family will continue to spend like dad did. And they could sell the team. Meaning. lets do it while we can and not worry about the money if he is willing to spend it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456