Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    The Marlins also didn't have Morrow and Dickey to complement their stars AND they were dealing with an idiot GM and an even bigger idiot manager.

Johnson is the best young arm in the game should he stay healthy and while injuries are a part of the game his ceiling is devastating.

I love how all of the Cashman apologists were flooding these boards last year because Michael Pineda had such a "high ceiling" with virtually no resume to back up their blind defense of their administrative champion and then they come this year all but blindly ignoring Josh Johnson's actual resume.
    one year of michael pineda was enough but apparently 3 years is a fluke for RA Dickey

vCash
    And yet everyone around here has no problem defending the "high ceiling" of a certain Joba Chamberlain whose resume in the good health department has been a comedy show compared to Johnson. I wonder if Loira had groomed Joba and Cashman had groomed Johnson what key this song would be sung in by the denizens of these boards.

Problem is that Burhle has to play the other teams as well so his career numbers on a severely diminished Chicago staff are almost moot seeing as he'll be facing a severely diminished Yankee staff in a position of less responsibility as he will be moved from the high pressure number one slot of the rotation to the four hole.

Burhlhe also eats innings which in and of itself carries value when slotted against the workload of the other four guys.

Johnson and Morrow are both high powered phenoms when healthy (granted that's been a big 'when' lately) but the potential is devastating if they fire on all cylinders and Dickey lives up to form.

Gose only played half a season so there's plenty of room to grow and learn there, plus he'll have better lineup protection (not that pitchers are going to be worrying about Anthony Gose anytime soon) but Davis, Bonifacio, and Reyes will severely disrupt a pitchers concentration and rhythm should they all mesh and get atheir running potential hammered out into a process.

Personally, while I'm NOT trying to start World War Slick or World War Sauron with this, I think you are underestimating what they have accomplished (and inversely what they Yankees have failed to address thus far) this offseason.
    I'm not saying the Jays couldn't be a contender, because they could, but people were saying the exact same thing about the Marlins last year at this time. It wouldn't surprise me if they won 93 games and a playoff spot, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they went 81-81.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I'm not saying the Jays couldn't be a contender, because they could, but people were saying the exact same thing about the Marlins last year at this time. It wouldn't surprise me if they won 93 games and a playoff spot, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they went 81-81.
    I can see that.

I think though that the comedy duo known as Loira and Guillen contributes a lot to a toxic formula, but, then again, maybe Im overestimating.

Their rotation on paper is scary good.

They do need a power hitter and some pen work but everyone has needs.

We, however, are in real trouble right now.

We have eluded the poison of aging contractual slides and mediocre filler signings for many many years.

It's very hard for me to see us continuing that trend given the holes we have right now plus the distractions of Cano's impending FA, the continued aging on staff, and the salary mandates coming down from Sir Hal.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 12-19-2012 at 10:16 AM.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    I can see that.

I think though that the comedy duo known as Loira and Guillen contributes a lot to a toxic formula, but, then again, maybe Im overestimating.

Their rotation on paper is scary good.

They do need a power hitter and some pen work but everyone has needs.

We, however, are in real trouble right now.

We have eluded the poison of aging contractual slides and mediocre filler signings for many many years.

It's very hard for me to see us continuing that trend given the holes we have right now plus the distractions of Cano's impending FA, the continued aging on staff, and the salary mandates coming down from Sir Hal.
    I don't think the sky is falling on the Yankees. This is a 95 win team, so there was no reason to make the kind of moves the Jays made. The starting rotation should be solid 1-3 and hopefully Hughes, Nova, and possibly even Pineda can provide back end depth. I would not be surprised to see Cashman sign another Garcia-type reclamation project for depth.

The offense has lost Martin and Swisher, but Gardner and Ichiro should replace some of the lost offense, and I can promise they will bring in a RH hitting OF (Hairston?) before spring training starts. Youkilis should be adequate to replace A-Rod but presumably A-Rod comes back at some point giving us another bat.

The bullpen figures to be the same as last year with Mo replacing Soriano, so everything should be fine on that end.

vCash
    no to Vernon Wells
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    I don't think the sky is falling on the Yankees. This is a 95 win team, so there was no reason to make the kind of moves the Jays made. The starting rotation should be solid 1-3 and hopefully Hughes, Nova, and possibly even Pineda can provide back end depth. I would not be surprised to see Cashman sign another Garcia-type reclamation project for depth.

The offense has lost Martin and Swisher, but Gardner and Ichiro should replace some of the lost offense, and I can promise they will bring in a RH hitting OF (Hairston?) before spring training starts. Youkilis should be adequate to replace A-Rod but presumably A-Rod comes back at some point giving us another bat.

The bullpen figures to be the same as last year with Mo replacing Soriano, so everything should be fine on that end.
    Pettittes age worries me. I love what the guy has done for us but having him in a key rotational spot in late season squeakers worries me.

Hughes, to me (for what that's worth), has never lived up to the expectations of 2006-2007. He's a serviceable starter to be sure but he's never really become the wunderkind that a lot of sports analysts thought he had in him.

I have no confidence in Joba or Pineda right now.

They need to earn back every iota of respect they think they deserve. Whatever ceiling or potential they may have has been sullied by their situation be it voluntary or not. I cannot hold them up to hope unless they show they are up to it.

But, then again, his is only my opinion and the season is still 4 months away and you are SO right about Soriano.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Pettittes age worries me. I love what the guy has done for us but having him in a key rotational spot in late season squeakers worries me.

Hughes, to me (for what that's worth), has never lived up to the expectations of 2006-2007. He's a serviceable starter to be sure but he's never really become the wunderkind that a lot of sports analysts thought he had in him.

I have no confidence in Joba or Pineda right now.

They need to earn back every iota of respect they think they deserve. Whatever ceiling or potential they may have has been sullied by their situation be it voluntary or not. I cannot hold them up to hope unless they show they are up to it.

But, then again, his is only my opinion and the season is still 4 months away and you are SO right about Soriano.
    I don't disagree with any of that. I was really hoping they would have traded Hughes but I guess the options for replacing him weren't great so here he is back for his last season before free agency. We will probably lose him next winter and get a draft pick as consolation.

Joba has done little to inspire confidence, Pineda even less.

vCash
    I think 100 wins is a bit optimistic in the AL East. There are too many good teams and chances are none of them will win that many. On the other hand, I would be shocked if they didn't win more than 75. There are a lot of question marks, such as how Dickey and Johnson will transition to the AL East and whether Johnson can remain healthy. Buehrle's numbers vs. AL East teams aren't very good if I remember right. I would think at worst they go 81-81 and at best they get into the low 90s and challenge for a playoff spot.
    100+ wins if everything clicks right, hey if the Os can win 90+ wins with the roster from last year, then it's possible, but again, this means if EVERYTHING goes right.

All the teams in the AL East have a boat load of question marks.

Also for the reference I have the Yankees first, Tampa second and the Jays third. I pretty much have a prove it first mentality as well and i'm a Jays fan. The same reason why I have Texas over LAA and the Giants over the Dodgers.

But you could put the Yankees, Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays in any order you want and you won't get much arguments from me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benzni View Post
    I would be surprised if Toronto doesn't make the playoffs. On paper they are very good, but then again that does not translate into wins
    Thats just not true over the course of a 162 game season. Yes, there are anomalies (see oak and BAL) but for the most part the better and more talented teams win the most games.

vCash
    I don't disagree with any of that. I was really hoping they would have traded Hughes but I guess the options for replacing him weren't great so here he is back for his last season before free agency. We will probably lose him next winter and get a draft pick as consolation.

Joba has done little to inspire confidence, Pineda even less.
    Pineda really is they key to everything. The yankee offense isn't going to be the same with A-Rod, swisher, Martin, and Raul gone. It just isn't. Pineda HAS to come back strong to make up the difference pitching wise.

Otherwise you could be looking at 85-88 win team.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456