Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Arrow Injuries, depth, the "next man up" on defense, and Dick LeBeau

As we all know, the defense has been pretty ravaged by injuries for most of this season, but one thing I've wondered is if Dick LeBeau is indirectly responsible for injuries having such an adverse effect on the defense. We keep hearing that his system is very complex, and that most players don't get the gist of it for a couple of years, but sometimes I wonder if that hurts the quality of the depth on defense. LeBeau typically doesn't give his young players much playing time, and I wonder if that leaves them unprepared to contribute in the event that one of them is the "next man up" after an injury. My thinking is, there's gotta be a way to simplify the defense so it doesn't take so long for young players to be assets to the team, whether as starters or depth.

Other things I wonder: Has LeBeau gotten stale with the Steelers the way Andy Reid has gotten stale with the Eagles? Should the Steelers show LeBeau the door and promote Keith Butler? Maybe Butler can develop a system that's easier for the players to understand so they can contribute sooner. Besides, it's pointless for the Steelers to keep him as a position coach for so long if they're going to tell LeBeau to stick around as long as he wants. I disagree that a coach should always be allowed to retire on his own terms, because even Chuck Noll lost his touch after a while. LeBeau has been the defensive coordinator for the last nine years, and he's 75 years old to boot. Maybe he's out of ideas. Maybe certain aspects of his method have become a hindrance for the team.
    "He’s the most underrated quarterback of the 21st century."

-Bill Simmons (Editor, Grantland) discussing Ben Roethlisberger

"Roethlisberger is perpetually underrated, to the point that even when he breaks records, it doesn’t really feel like it."

-Joseph Milord (Editor, Elite Daily)

vCash
    We have, if not the best defense, the second best behind the 49ers. We don't have 10 losses like Reid and the Eagles. We've been pampered by the defenses we had when Hampton, Smith, Farrior and Polamalu were all in their primes. Just because we're not #1 in nearly every category like 2008 and 2010 doesn't mean we should move on from LeBeau.

And no, his system doesn't cause injury.

vCash
    I never said LeBeau's system causes injuries. I just wonder if the complexity of LeBeau's system leaves young players unprepared to be the "next man up" if a player gets injured.
    "He’s the most underrated quarterback of the 21st century."

-Bill Simmons (Editor, Grantland) discussing Ben Roethlisberger

"Roethlisberger is perpetually underrated, to the point that even when he breaks records, it doesn’t really feel like it."

-Joseph Milord (Editor, Elite Daily)

vCash
    No we just have Shiite back up corners like Victorian who is a scrub

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    I never said LeBeau's system causes injuries. I just wonder if the complexity of LeBeau's system leaves young players unprepared to be the "next man up" if a player gets injured.
    You're right, my mistake. Read it wrong. Then yes, it goes without saying. They're young, don't completely understand the system and it's why they sit when the starter is healthy. The corners especially are so scared of getting beat deep. But when they mature and do finally get it, we have the best defense in the league. Keenan Lewis and William Gay are perfect examples. Gay was absolutely awful until his fourth year, 2011. Lewis was good in a reduced role last year, his third year. Then he was meh the first 5 games, has been lights out since then. He got it. Josh Victorian, signed off the street a week or two ago, doesn't get it. I know they're not happy with Curtis Brown but they shouldn't be worried about sending messages, they should be worried about playing the better, more experienced player.

vCash
    My one knock on LeBeau and the defense, besides injuries which can't be controlled, is our blitzing. I feel like our blitz packages are weak and underwhelming. If you watch our previous LeBeau years vs this year, it's a world of difference. We're literally bringing 4 guys most plays, and were not doing it to where it is effective. We only have 31 sacks this year, which for a Steelers defense is just not good. We can sit around and use injuries as an excuse, but for this aspect, the injuries are not an excuse. Our blitzing schemes have truly become uneventful and easy to figure out. We obviously have other issues, but this makes me truly believe LeBeau has lost it.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Of note, continuing what I was saying, the last time we were under 40 sacks in a season was 2005. Quite a long time ago.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Of note, continuing what I was saying, the last time we were under 40 sacks in a season was 2005. Quite a long time ago.
    You couldn't edit that in your other post Jk man

vCash
    I got really lazy lol. I could have, but I made my choice.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    The reason we're not blitzing as often is because we don't have the personnel to support it. Harrison and Woodley have been injured off and on the last few years, and now we're pretty weak in the secondary. If LeBeau hadn't adapted his defense to these things, we'd be getting torn apart every week.

As for whether LeBeau should be forced into retirement... he mentioned a couple years ago that his time was coming. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it happens sooner than later. I'd like to see him finish out this year then work together with Butler next year to kind of ease him into the play-calling and everything else that goes along with it. In the meantime, LeBeau is still one of the top DCs in the game.