Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    We won 95 games last year.

Lost Russell martin and Nick Swisher.

Same rotation.

I don't see us winning 95 games again, but I highly doubt we finish last.

Yankees fan's are really unbelievable.
    Yeah, I don't think we'll finish last. I think we have as good a chance as any in the division at the division or maybe more reasonably a wild card spot.

But having the same team as last year isn't exactly a good thing IMO. With the age on the majority of the roster there's a real chance some of these guys won't put up the same seasons as last year.

I also don't think its crazy for fans to question things with this team. Its not all about them not spending money. There's been a ton of moves they could have done in the past couple years to set them up a lot better than they currently are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think we'll finish last. I think we have as good a chance as any in the division at the division or maybe more reasonably a wild card spot.

But having the same team as last year isn't exactly a good thing IMO. With the age on the majority of the roster there's a real chance some of these guys won't put up the same seasons as last year.

I also don't think its crazy for fans to question things with this team. Its not all about them not spending money. There's been a ton of moves they could have done in the past couple years to set them up a lot better than they currently are.
    I agree..

But to flat out say the team is going to finish last, is a little crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    I agree..

But to flat out say the team is going to finish last, is a little crazy.
    I think they finish ahead of Boston, no doubt. I can see them finishing 1st and I can see them finishing 4th. Its a crapshoot. Going to be an interesting year.

vCash
    How many teams that play moneyball have won recently? The a's had a good year until a team called the Yankees beat them in the ALCS.
    When you give players big contracts your not expecting them to perform at an elite level their entire time you pay for a big impact up front, i.e. CC and TEX= WS TITLE.
    I'm fine with them getting younger and cheaper but guess what our farm system is terrible and cashman traded away a position of need for Pena (a trade I supported). I wouldn't care if we had a stocked farm and there were young free agents available but that's not the case anymore. Teams are locking up their studs early and often, who do we have that will be a all star in the minors come a few years? Prob no one.

I hope this works, an they better lower the fukin ticket prices..... Cheap billionaires
    Can't believe we have a QB...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TROTH View Post
    How many teams that play moneyball have won recently? The a's had a good year until a team called the Yankees beat them in the ALCS.
    When you give players big contracts your not expecting them to perform at an elite level their entire time you pay for a big impact up front, i.e. CC and TEX= WS TITLE.
    I'm fine with them getting younger and cheaper but guess what our farm system is terrible and cashman traded away a position of need for Pena (a trade I supported). I wouldn't care if we had a stocked farm and there were young free agents available but that's not the case anymore. Teams are locking up their studs early and often, who do we have that will be a all star in the minors come a few years? Prob no one.

I hope this works, an they better lower the fukin ticket prices..... Cheap billionaires
    Pena?

vCash
    Pineda sorry thanks for pointing that out dick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TROTH View Post

Ticket prices have nothing to do with payroll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I never said they did, but if they are going to rape me at the stadium than they better spend the cash they take from me on the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshirleyrules View Post
    This and a few follow-ups

First the one early poster who noted that we won 4 out of 5 when had homegrown talent is dead right. Its very hard to buy a championship and impossible to buy multiple championships, you need to build within. When you have a homegrown core you can build a dynasty. But in baseball even that is hard (take a look at the Braves who were more or less as successful as the Yankees during their run, that is except in October). That Braves team should have won at least three world series, they got one (thanks large in part to Jim Leyritz and Jack Morris). Sometimes you just need special players.

On the point here, the NBA is actually the only sport I know where you can buy a ring. Working within the NBA is navigating through the cap. In the NBA one player can make you a contender. Look at Cleveland. They lost LeBron and they are bottom feeders. Miami went out and purchased Lebron,Wade and Bosch and they have a two championship appearance and a win. Its all about math, Baseball, football, and to a lesser extent Hockey require many different pieces, the NBA you play 5, and you can play those same five for 70% of the game.

Another poster said moneyball is not signing a guy to a 1 year 13 million. I agree if you are playing Billy Beane Money ball...but he doesn't own the only play on those words. If you are the Yankees you live in a different universe as Oakland when it comes to how you spend, but the concept is dollars and sense.

The Yankees made decisions in 2007 and 2008 that affected 2009. In those moves the only bad one was not resigning A-rod but for doing so at 10/270 when the most he would have gotten from anyone was 200 million. After his little stunt (with Boras advising him) 8/27 would have been enough (216 million overall). The real shame of it all, is that by A-rod Opting out he cost us by allowing Texas to have the extra cash to get Lee. Texas was paying a chunk of A-rods contract (makes you think if he was overpaid in 2004 why would he not be when he was 4 years older). Would have loved to get A-Rod off the books in 2016, but that won't happen. The only real hope is that by 2016 he is somewhat productive (e.g. 140 Games 25HR 80RBI 75 Runs .250ish, and chasing some HR numbers). If this happens we might be able to move him to Florida where he could put some fans in the seats over there while we dump 40% of his contract for that last year or two). Of course he needs to stay health to do that a problem he has had for almost the entire contract extension.

My hope is obviously that this team is playoff bound and the veteran leadership can pull out another one. BUT if that doesn't happen, I hope for the opposite, which is the team just falls out of contention fast. With that I would hope the Yankees trade Cano to a contender. Cano will be 31 next year he has likely 3 good seasons left before decline will set in. If Cano can net the Yankees an organization's best and fifth best player, along with a first round draft pick (albeit late) this would be a great way to rebuild. Unlike most teams Yankee Rebuilding can happen rapidly, because the Yankees have money. All the Yankees need is for Pineida, one of the Yankees young pitchers to show life, along with some talent for Cano, and the Yankees can enter the free agent market again. The thing I don't want is the Yankees to band aid up the team and take on bad contracts, and stay medicore. This has been a great run - from 1996-2012, 17 years this team has won five word series appeared in seven, they have also won over a dozen division championships. If they don't make the playoffs in 2013 and 2014, but come back in 2015 with an exciting group of young players through some good trades, they will have the ability to get right back in the mix in 2016. Alternatively if they pile on long-term old players it will be a long long time till we hang up another world series banner.
    First, Thanks for the compliment...

Second, even the '09 season, when the Yanks won it all after signing the big 3 in free agency, Do you know how many on the Yankees starting lineup that the Yanks acquired via UFA? It was fewer than the Red Sox the same season.... 5. the talked about 3, plus Damon and Matsui (international free agent.) That's it.

Even in Hockey, the Rangers are always trying to buy the best... and they seem to fight to even make the playoffs. I agree, NBA is built in such a way where 1 player can really take over the game (see Micheal Jordan.) That does not work in any other sport.

Even in the NFL, most players for the champs are acquired via the draft.

on another comment about prospects picked up, prospects are like the lottery... for every one that wins, many many more will fail.

Remember, 2 of the last 3 years, the Giants have won with a considerably lesser payroll than the yanks (like take the 2010 & 2012 giants salaries combined was less than the 2012 Yankees salary), so, how does spending the most come close to a champion?

vCash
    figured I would stop by but yea case study 2011-2012 Redsox, I mean the team in paper was soo damn good.

Opening Day lineup was

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Crawford
    Gonzalez
    Youkilis
    Ortiz
    Cameron
    Salty
    Scutaro

That was for 2011, I mean think about Ellsbury who put up his monster season, and they still missed the playoffs.

Then they basically shut the door on that team the day they hired Bobby V

FA signings are necessary, but trades and the farm, and minor signings seem to be most effective.

2004 The sox had signed Damon, Manny, Pedro, and Ortiz as FAs in the year leading up to 2004. I mean FA signings are a lot easier when you get players that are in their prime (at the time of the signings) and are considered top 5 players/Pitchers of their time (Manny, and Pedro). Then a borderline HOF guy in Ortiz (who they signed for nothing), and then Damon who was probably the riskiest signing, but turned out well.

But they also made key trades, trading for Schilling, the Nomar Trade, the minor signings like again Ortiz, Mueller, Millar.

really the only farm guys on that team were varitek, Lowe, Arroyo, and Nixon.

I guess my point is, there is no right way to do it, you just got to be getting the right players to fit in on a chemistry level and production level.

I mean Manny's antics could have been a huge problem for some players, but the sox got guys that kind of made the weird attitude the normal.

The yankees won in 09 because they got a lot of talent, and I think Arod finally learned to shut the **** up a little bit in the media. I mean when you think about it, it took like 4 years for the whole Arod/Jeter feud (whether real or media driven) to subside.

Long post I know
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    This is the first year I can remember where you can't even predict where one team will finishing the AL East. In other words, each team can finish first or last.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post

I agree . Gotten older and we still have ARod.

vCash
    You guys kill me. You'll agree with whatever the Yankee org tells you to. All of a sudden you dont want to sign the good players because you're worried that they wont live up to their contracts??? Aiyaiyai... When will you guys start talking about what it takes to win? How many times do we need to be swept in the playofffs for you guys to stop with this pay buuuullllssshhhhiiii?

I know it's it's Yankee business but stop acting like you think its a good thing that we didn't get the better players that were available.

vCash
    You guys kill me. You'll agree with whatever the Yankee org tells you to. All of a sudden you dont want to sign the good players because you're worried that they wont live up to their contracts??? Aiyaiyai... When will you guys start talking about what it takes to win? How many times do we need to be swept in the playofffs for you guys to stop with this payRoll buuuullllssshhhhiiii?

I know it's it's Yankee business but stop acting like you think its a good thing that we didn't get the better players that were available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    In fairness though, I don't think you or I would pay these prices to watch the Pirates.

And so, a new era begins.....

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast