Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    vCash
    Long time since I have been on here.....if I may???? If they are so hellbent on getting under the 189 mil, then just get the best deals for Cano, Grandy and Hughes before the trade deadline. It may take them out of the WS hunt for a couple years but by dealing for younger up and coming players they could more effectively control costs.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oak2455 View Post
    I agree and disagree I would like them to spend less, don't wanna be the only team over 200 million yearly.... and when they win, its like well they spent enough....so big deal
    I wouldn't let that stuff bother you. I've never heard a Laker or a Saints fan say that they want a lower payroll so the team could have a better public opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Montero 2012 WAR: -0.2

He was sorely missed last year.
    Meh, what was Cano's WAR his rookie season? Now he's our best hitter. This is really irrelevant. I wouldn't change my opinion even if Seattle decided that Montero was better suited selling hotdogs in the stands.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Meh, what was Cano's WAR his rookie season? Now he's our best hitter. This is really irrelevant. I wouldn't change my opinion even if Seattle decided that Montero was better suited selling hotdogs in the stands.
    OK, fair point. Cano's WAR was 0.5 in his rookie year, but it jumped to 2.9 in year 2. As I said before, I'm willing to see how Montero adjusts in year 2 before writing him off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    OK, fair point. Cano's WAR was 0.5 in his rookie year, but it jumped to 2.9 in year 2. As I said before, I'm willing to see how Montero adjusts in year 2 before writing him off.
    I am too. I don't think it will be easy for him playing in SAFECO though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    "Moneyball" What Yanks did:

1) Convinced Yankee fans that reducing payroll would actually help this team win..lol
    2) Raised ticket prices AGAIN
    3) Made record breaking profits '12

Great job Yanks...
    A few items:

1.) Yankees has a payroll of 220 million in 2012, this is the highest in the league by about 30 million. Take A-rod away and you are still the highest payroll. Yankees realize that if you keep adding payroll every dollar is going to cost 1.50...think ticket prices are high now wait till that happens.

2.) High Payroll doesn't equal success. The Yankee explosion in payroll assisted in bringing one World Series Championship to NY (2009). All the parts brought in were critical (Swisher,Tex,CC and Burnett (who actually pitched well)). Swisher is gone, Burnett is still on the books for about $10 million, CC and Tex swallow up over 50 million. While both players are still productive they are not 50 million Productive.

In 2007-2008 off season the Yankees were in a similar situation. They could have made moves but elected not to. Basically they were getting ready to push in 2009. The had a need at First Base, they needed a starting pitcher....They got both.

Frankly I am happy the Yankees are sitting tight. Would you rather the Yankees gave Zach Greinke 160 million over 6 years? I frankly would rather sit tight then pay big dollar long-term contract to a less attractive pitcher in a later year. Looking at the landscape this year's and next year's free agent class is not that attractive. So moving to 189 million should not be as painful.

Lastly, got to know where you got that photo. That looks like someone I went to school with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Long time since I have been on here.....if I may???? If they are so hellbent on getting under the 189 mil, then just get the best deals for Cano, Grandy and Hughes before the trade deadline. It may take them out of the WS hunt for a couple years but by dealing for younger up and coming players they could more effectively control costs.
    Dude, I forgot how awesome that sig was.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshirleyrules View Post
    A few items:

1.) Yankees has a payroll of 220 million in 2012, this is the highest in the league by about 30 million. Take A-rod away and you are still the highest payroll. Yankees realize that if you keep adding payroll every dollar is going to cost 1.50...think ticket prices are high now wait till that happens.

2.) High Payroll doesn't equal success. The Yankee explosion in payroll assisted in bringing one World Series Championship to NY (2009). All the parts brought in were critical (Swisher,Tex,CC and Burnett (who actually pitched well)). Swisher is gone, Burnett is still on the books for about $10 million, CC and Tex swallow up over 50 million. While both players are still productive they are not 50 million Productive.

In 2007-2008 off season the Yankees were in a similar situation. They could have made moves but elected not to. Basically they were getting ready to push in 2009. The had a need at First Base, they needed a starting pitcher....They got both.

Frankly I am happy the Yankees are sitting tight. Would you rather the Yankees gave Zach Greinke 160 million over 6 years? I frankly would rather sit tight then pay big dollar long-term contract to a less attractive pitcher in a later year. Looking at the landscape this year's and next year's free agent class is not that attractive. So moving to 189 million should not be as painful.

Lastly, got to know where you got that photo. That looks like someone I went to school with.
    Number 2 is a great point.

The thing is that we knew Sabathia was coming in 09. Now we have no such future to look forward to. The past couple of offseasons we've always argued against prospect trades because Lee, Hamels, Cain and Marcum were coming up to FA. Teams have gotten wise to that now and are locking up their most precious commodities ie Hamels before they ever have a chance to hit the market.

I'm alright to staying put if we're going to move in the future but right now there isn't a lot to look forward to.

I absolutely also agree on Greinke but why wasn't AJ at the equivalent of Martins salary appealing to you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Number 2 is a great point.

The thing is that we knew Sabathia was coming in 09. Now we have no such future to look forward to. The past couple of offseasons we've always argued against prospect trades because Lee, Hamels, Cain and Marcum were coming up to FA. Teams have gotten wise to that now and are locking up their most precious commodities ie Hamels before they ever have a chance to hit the market.

I'm alright to staying put if we're going to move in the future but right now there isn't a lot to look forward to.

I absolutely also agree on Greinke but why wasn't AJ at the equivalent of Martins salary appealing to you?
    I realize the talent pool is weaker but how do you get a top flight starter? You can stink like the Nationals/Expos and pick first, and get Stephen Stasburg. That's not happening. You can make strategic trades, but that doesn't always work out.. Pineida was a great move in my view and his arm blew up. Some relief in that Montero wasn't mashing the ball in Seattle. I agree there isn't much to loom forward to...But I once we get passed 2014, the Yankees will have the flexibility to win bidding wars again.

The reality is that the 1996 Dynasty is just about over. We have three players left, and while all three are still playing very well...it's a matter if time until Father Time catches up. We may be facing some vet lean years....I can live with it...so long as those lean years don't include expensive bandaids which I sure longer lean years.

I also like that the Yankee front office is keeping the team competitive by getting aging vets with SHORT TEM DEALS. Frankly I love getting Youklis, Suzuki...I also like that they are looking at Berkman. These three players will make about as much as Greinke will make this year (assuming Berkman plays). If Arod does not come back. You in theory have a line up of Jeter-Granderson-Cano-Tex-Berkman-Youkliss-Ichiro-Catcher-Romine. Plenty of power and even some speed. The key with these vets are they don't cost a lot, and they don't do anything that hurts the future.

2013 will require some breaks for the Yankees to win...but it's solid vets it can happen. The playoffs are a crapshoot. If we took the best team in baseball for 162 games in my view there is no doubt that the Cincinnati Reds were the best and most talented team.

Yankees are hedging between putting a decent product on the field and not killing the team with bad long term contracts. There are no free agents I am crying about not getting in 2012-2013...seeing the prices I am even less upset!

vCash
    Bob....you make much sense. I agree.

One thing. Berkman went to Texas.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshirleyrules View Post
    I realize the talent pool is weaker but how do you get a top flight starter? You can stink like the Nationals/Expos and pick first, and get Stephen Stasburg. That's not happening. You can make strategic trades, but that doesn't always work out.. Pineida was a great move in my view and his arm blew up. Some relief in that Montero wasn't mashing the ball in Seattle. I agree there isn't much to loom forward to...But I once we get passed 2014, the Yankees will have the flexibility to win bidding wars again.

The reality is that the 1996 Dynasty is just about over. We have three players left, and while all three are still playing very well...it's a matter if time until Father Time catches up. We may be facing some vet lean years....I can live with it...so long as those lean years don't include expensive bandaids which I sure longer lean years.

I also like that the Yankee front office is keeping the team competitive by getting aging vets with SHORT TEM DEALS. Frankly I love getting Youklis, Suzuki...I also like that they are looking at Berkman. These three players will make about as much as Greinke will make this year (assuming Berkman plays). If Arod does not come back. You in theory have a line up of Jeter-Granderson-Cano-Tex-Berkman-Youkliss-Ichiro-Catcher-Romine. Plenty of power and even some speed. The key with these vets are they don't cost a lot, and they don't do anything that hurts the future.

2013 will require some breaks for the Yankees to win...but it's solid vets it can happen. The playoffs are a crapshoot. If we took the best team in baseball for 162 games in my view there is no doubt that the Cincinnati Reds were the best and most talented team.

Yankees are hedging between putting a decent product on the field and not killing the team with bad long term contracts. There are no free agents I am crying about not getting in 2012-2013...seeing the prices I am even less upset!
    My point was there is nothing to look forwardto currently rotationally. Somewhat Cashmans fault for poor long term franchise planning, partly a lull in the market.

I'm happy we're transitioning right now as well but for vastly different reasons than you.

Yes, I support the luxury tax reset and yes I don't I want to rush into a ton of bad lengthy substandard contracts (though I think AJ would've been a fine replacement at the equivalent of Martins salary and one year in length).

More importantly, the franchise is in need of some serious market correction in terms of economic model, pricing and attendance. Just a casual glance at the numerous half attended games and lack of consistant fans these past few seasons should be the wakeup call so desperately needed by the front office.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 01-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.

vCash
    Agree w Sauron too.

These long term deals will slowly bite the owners. Maybe the Yanks are smarter and cutting back quicker.

With TVs so awesome these days and FREE, why in the world would anyone ever go see a game on a Tuesday vs the Twins?

I love sports but have zero desire to go to any games unless its a special one.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910