Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Money Ball - What the Yankees are doing right

So we see Hamilton get 5 years 125 million per, Anibel Sanchez gets 6/80 million, Greinke 6yr 147 million, BJ Upton 5/75, Napoli 3/39, Hunter 2/26, Victorino 3/39.

Frankly I'm happy we didn't bite at any one of them. Look I know this isn't George's team, but in baseball especially with the 189 million number, staying away from these guys is a blessing in disguise. Said another way I would be shocked if any of these players live up to their contracts.

Frankly I feel alot better about Pettite 1/12, Kuroda 1/15. Call me crazy but two pitching years for 2/27 versus Hunter for 2/26. Is there any doubt who got the better bargain. So the Yankees sign Ichiro 2/13. I believe Ichiro (who I think is built for Yankee Stadium) will give us better stats than Upton, Hunter or Victorino.

Look I know its odd to see the Yankees not go after free agents, but this is the right move. Getting under 189 million is a reset. Stay above and its like taking on 95 million (50% Luxury tax). Get below it and your at the 17% luxury tax level for a while. There is mor... once the Yankees achieve this they are free to spend again.

The other thing about this is that it makes sense on many levels. Frankly this free agent class does not impress me much. But every year is a year closer to the end of A-rod's contract which is now an absolute killer. While Tex and CC are performing, its at about 60-75% of what their contracts are worth. Average those three out and you have about 85 million performing at the level of what you would expect from about 40 million. Throw in Jeter's inflated legacy contract (although that contract is not looking all that bad as he had a solid 2011 campaign (specifically starting in June), and a MVP-7 2012) I would say Jeter earned about 85% of his contract which is fantastic on any free agent.

My point here is that sitting tight makes sense. Let us go year to year. Is there anyone out there we really want? Yankees have the ability to pay whatever and whenever, few teams have this. But there comes a time where this doesn't work. By being forced to stand pat the Yankees are clearing the way for being in a better position with free agents in the future.

In the mean time California baseball will see the same demise as the Baltimore Orioles in the late 90's. Isn't it ironic but its the penny wise Giants who are winning. So when you read that Hamilton fell off the Wagon (the guy has average only about 125 games played over the last 4 years) don't be surprised!

vCash
    Have you ever thought MAYBE the Yankees never wanted to sign those players ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank-Knick-Up View Post
    Have you ever thought MAYBE the Yankees never wanted to sign those players ?
    Woah, you wild!

vCash
    well said except for the fact that what baltimore went threw in the 90s and what the 2 la teams will go threw is what we are going threw now well it was fun while it lasted 96 to 2012 was a great run 5 rings in 16 years was pretty dam good boss rip

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrag10 View Post
    well said except for the fact that what baltimore went threw in the 90s and what the 2 la teams will go threw is what we are going threw now well it was fun while it lasted 96 to 2012 was a great run 5 rings in 16 years was pretty dam good boss rip
    But at one time they had 4 rings in 5 years. So basically just 1 ring in the last 11 years.
    Nick

vCash
    I agree with most of the original post.

The goal is clear and with the current scenario , our team is fragile but very good.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    This is by far the best offseason we've had in a decade. On an all around talent vs contracts & finances, the moves we haven't made plus the moves we've made make this the best winter we've had in a loooong time.

vCash
    sorry but if the Yankees were to play money ball they already have failed. 13 mil for 1 player is not what you do

vCash
    In 2015 we'll have a fresh start and only about 100 million in payroll(ARod, Tex, and CC still having huge contracts, among guys like Pineda, Nova, etc having raises in salary). With the likes of Kershaw, Verlander, Felix, and Sandoval among others set to hit f/a. I know some of them will sign extenstions but one of them will hit the open market and we'll have money to throw around and hopefully a few of Sanchez, Williams Heathcott, Campos, Banuelos, and Austin, etc will of stepped up in the majors.

vCash
    Buying high priced free agents have never proven to work at getting to the big game. The Yanks won 4 of 5 in the late 90's, with players mostly homegrown, picked up in trades or scrap heap type guys. Didn't you notice that when they went out and got Giambi, the first of many high priced UFA's in the 2000's, they stopped winning.

The only time it has worked with the 09 championship, when they got the top 3 free agents that offseason, and that only worked for 1 season.

2 of the last 3 seasons, the Giants have won behind primarily homegrown players... and a few guys to plug holes... and a salary in both cases that was around or below Half of the yanks....

vCash
    I agree with the OP on this one. Bob Shirley does rules. To effectively play money ball in todays market is to lock down your core players to team friendly deals. The Yankees no extension policy will hurt them. Having a player hit FA is stupid. All you do is allow a bidding war. Plus doing an extension will allow you to judge the players loyality to the team. Cano already asking for huge dollars would already be traded if he played for the Rays and A's. imagine, the A's got rid of Gio and the Rays just traded Sheilds. The key is not just fiscal responsibilty, like spending on who you want, shorten the lenghts of the contract and reviewing the AVV, but also locking in early to team friendly contracts. If you cant extend, trade for the best package available.

vCash
    New York has run up a luxury tax bill of $224.2 million over the past decade, with the fee increasing from $13.9 million last year. The Yankees' tax rate rose from 40 percent to 42.5 percent this year and figures to climb to 50 percent next season. But they hope to get under the threshold in 2014, when it rises to $189 million. Dropping under the threshold would lower their potential tax rate in 2015 to 17.5 percent.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    Good post Shirley. All of us would like to see the Yankees continue to spend, except the Yankees shareholders. In the end baseball is a business. Getting under the $189 million threshold will increase the value of the organization. At this point it's a fact of life that the Yankees are going to get under $189 million, so might as well accept it. If you accept it, you have to start getting used to the fiscally conservative management style. Am I happy about it? No, but does it make perfect sense to me? Yes.

Given the $189 number, they're doing a pretty good job with free agency this season. The only move I disagree with is Youkilis and that's mostly because I just strongly dislike the guy's personality.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootamis91 View Post
    sorry but if the Yankees were to play money ball they already have failed. 13 mil for 1 player is not what you do
    Depends on the player.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Buying high priced free agents have never proven to work at getting to the big game. The Yanks won 4 of 5 in the late 90's, with players mostly homegrown, picked up in trades or scrap heap type guys. Didn't you notice that when they went out and got Giambi, the first of many high priced UFA's in the 2000's, they stopped winning.

The only time it has worked with the 09 championship, when they got the top 3 free agents that offseason, and that only worked for 1 season.

2 of the last 3 seasons, the Giants have won behind primarily homegrown players... and a few guys to plug holes... and a salary in both cases that was around or below Half of the yanks....
    This, even in other sports it doesn't always work out. Outside of the Celtics, no NBA won a title in their first year after spending big (for the Heat, it was their second season). Other teams that spent big in the NBA are the Lakers, and look how that is turning out. Same with the NFL. The Eagles, Cowboys, and Chiefs all spent big in free agency and look at their seasons this year.

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast