Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I read the Padres are interested in Porcello, would a straight up deal for Huston Street be fair? He's still only 29 and obviously a proven closer, career WHIP of 1.04 and ERA of 3.01, he could be the vet we need there for the next 5+ years. Not sure what his contract looks like but if he's on the Padres I would assume he's not making a lot of money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    I read the Padres are interested in Porcello, would a straight up deal for Huston Street be fair? He's still only 29 and obviously a proven closer, career WHIP of 1.04 and ERA of 3.01, he could be the vet we need there for the next 5+ years. Not sure what his contract looks like but if he's on the Padres I would assume he's not making a lot of money.
    I would want more than Street. He has injury issues, and is a solid, but not great closer. Despite Porcello not being as hot a commodity as before, I think we could get more. I say we get a couple solid specs to restock the farm.

vCash
    Hey I've got a quick question on trading Porcello. Does everyone believe Porcello has the most value as a trade piece, as opposed to Smily? Or are people just fed up with Porcello? Personally I'd rather trade Drew then Rick, but I don't think anyone else agrees with that. We would get more in exchange wouldn't we? Rick is a very good 4th or 5th starter. Just thought I'd ask, cuz I'm confused.
    "If a, would a, could a, should a, Lived on Maybe street, the street that never was"....Rad Alger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Hey I've got a quick question on trading Porcello. Does everyone believe Porcello has the most value as a trade piece, as opposed to Smily? Or are people just fed up with Porcello? Personally I'd rather trade Drew then Rick, but I don't think anyone else agrees with that. We would get more in exchange wouldn't we? Rick is a very good 4th or 5th starter. Just thought I'd ask, cuz I'm confused.
    I think Smyly has better upside at this point and being a lefty, helps our rotation moreso than Porcello. Porcello still has trade value as he is only 23 and has proven he can win games.

I am foreseeing three different trade scenarios.
    Pirates: Porcello for Hanrahan
    Padres: Porcello for Gregerson (maybe more)
    Angels: Porcello for Bourjos

I wouldn't mind seeing them trade for a SS obviously, but I am not sure who's available that would be a clear upgrade.

Hanrahan excites me the least, but would fill a hole as I am not real comfortable with Dotel, Benoit or Rondon inheriting the role.

Gregorson would be interesting as he is only 28, has some closing experience (9 saves last year) and strikes out 1 per inning (73 over 72). If they could get Gregerson and a SS prospect for Porcello and Boesch, I would be all about it. Plus, it then makes Benoit and Dotel expendable.

I am a big Bourjos fan. He struggled last year, but has all of the tools. I feel he could strive with semi-regular time (platoon with Dirks), plus adds speed. I love Dirks, but adding Bourjos would be nice. It would also add to our young depth in the outfield (Garcia and Castellanos) and probably open up many trade scenarios for us as we would have tons of young OF talent.

Any other thoughts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsforlife View Post
    I think Smyly has better upside at this point and being a lefty, helps our rotation moreso than Porcello. Porcello still has trade value as he is only 23 and has proven he can win games.

I am foreseeing three different trade scenarios.
    Pirates: Porcello for Hanrahan
    Padres: Porcello for Gregerson (maybe more)
    Angels: Porcello for Bourjos

I wouldn't mind seeing them trade for a SS obviously, but I am not sure who's available that would be a clear upgrade.

Hanrahan excites me the least, but would fill a hole as I am not real comfortable with Dotel, Benoit or Rondon inheriting the role.
    Gregorson would be interesting as he is only 28, has some closing experience (9 saves last year) and strikes out 1 per inning (73 over 72). If they could get Gregerson and a SS prospect for Porcello and Boesch, I would be all about it. Plus, it then makes Benoit and Dotel expendable.

I am a big Bourjos fan. He struggled last year, but has all of the tools. I feel he could strive with semi-regular time (platoon with Dirks), plus adds speed. I love Dirks, but adding Bourjos would be nice. It would also add to our young depth in the outfield (Garcia and Castellanos) and probably open up many trade scenarios for us as we would have tons of young OF talent.

Any other thoughts.
    Not getting the Hanrahan move. He is a negative WAR player and gives up the longball. He is no better than what we have in house. As you referenced, I would prefer Gregerson.

However, I would be more inclined to move him for a sold spec or 2 or in a package for an upgrade elsewhere. Not a big fan of getting a so so pen.

vCash
    I agree with you.

IF we were to trade one, I'd rather it be Smyly. Sure he has more upside and is left handed, but he could just as well be a bust. I'd rather trade the higher potential Smyly and get more back than trade Porcello, because we "know" what we're going to get from Porcello, and he's a great #4-5 starter.

But I'm still mostly of the opinion I don't want to trade either of them, unless it's some sort of three team deal where we end up with a SS out of Texas.
    #teamboom4life

MLB: Tigers
    NFL: Lions
    NHL: Red Wings
    CFB(Div I): Michigan
    CFB(Div II): Hillsdale

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander 77 View Post
    I agree with you.

IF we were to trade one, I'd rather it be Smyly. Sure he has more upside and is left handed, but he could just as well be a bust. I'd rather trade the higher potential Smyly and get more back than trade Porcello, because we "know" what we're going to get from Porcello, and he's a great #4-5 starter.

But I'm still mostly of the opinion I don't want to trade either of them, unless it's some sort of three team deal where we end up with a SS out of Texas.
    Do we need a SS, or a second baseman? Santiago and Jhonny are a good ss tandem. 2nd base is another story. Who is out there to play second? It seems like we mainly need a closer, 2nd baseman, and a home grown farm kid who is a stud! Other than that I really like our team. And hell, did you see the way Coke was closing! If only he was for real!
    "If a, would a, could a, should a, Lived on Maybe street, the street that never was"....Rad Alger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rellime View Post
    Wishful thinking. Porcello for Trumbo
    i don't think that's all that wishful, i think either bourjos or trumbo would be a fine trade, helps both teams
    Last edited by ciaban; 12-15-2012 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    Do we need a SS, or a second baseman? Santiago and Jhonny are a good ss tandem. 2nd base is another story. Who is out there to play second? It seems like we mainly need a closer, 2nd baseman, and a home grown farm kid who is a stud! Other than that I really like our team. And hell, did you see the way Coke was closing! If only he was for real!
    Peralta at SS is a much bigger hole/concern than Infante at 2B. We don't NEED a closer and we don't need a 2B. We need to trade Porcello for either prospects or in a package to upgrade SS. Every other position is filled and done so with talented enough players. Either stock up the farm or sure up the one weak spot, don't see the point in trading for a CP. I know Rondon hasn't pitched in the Majors yet but neither did a guy named Joel Zumaya. As long as Rondon stays away from guitar hero I think we got our CP for the next 5 years, if he can look after his control.

vCash
    Thats a HUGE if. Throwing hard means nothing if he can't throw strikes or locate his fast ball. Look at Valverde. Look at Rodney until last year .Both 94-97 mph . Big deal. They walked the ballpark. Soria and Nathan are a perfect example of somebody that throws low 90's but gets the job done.Even Street falls into that catagory. Command means so much. Major league hitters will catch up to a 98 mph fastball if its right down the middle.Thats why I'm a little worried we go into the season with an unproven closer. I don't care what he is doing in winter ball. Many of those hitters will be minor leaguers or backups on major league teams. We need a lock down proven closer if we are going to get into the WS. IMO
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Thats a HUGE if. Throwing hard means nothing if he can't throw strikes or locate his fast ball. Look at Valverde. Look at Rodney until last year .Both 94-97 mph . Big deal. They walked the ballpark. Soria and Nathan are a perfect example of somebody that throws low 90's but gets the job done.Even Street falls into that catagory. Command means so much. Major league hitters will catch up to a 98 mph fastball if its right down the middle.Thats why I'm a little worried we go into the season with an unproven closer. I don't care what he is doing in winter ball. Many of those hitters will be minor leaguers or backups on major league teams. We need a lock down proven closer if we are going to get into the WS. IMO
    I agree with you 100% that the biggest thing for a closer is accuracy. Most guys in the majors can catch up to 100mph if they know it's coming. If he doesn't learn to control his pitches he's in trouble, but he's also only 22. Still developing and learning obviously but DD and Leyland have to see something if they committed to him closing as soon as the WS was done. Say it doesn't work out with him this year and needs to be sent down, they still have Dotel and Coke who can close until they find a trade by the deadline. Unless it happens early in the season.

No proven closer ever became a proven closer without getting a chance, maybe this is Rondons'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Exactly. I know we still have Benoit and Dotel as fall back plans but they were unsteady this year. I would much rather at least have a better fall back option if Rondon doesn't work out. Plus, why not start Rondon off in the 7th or 8th and then move him to the closer's role. Remember when Zumaya was the hard throwing closer of the future? How did that work out for us.

I don't need a stud closer, but I am worried if we start with Benoit/Dotel/Rondon as our closer. I would much rather add Hanrahan (although not my first choice) or at least a Gregerson type who could fill the role if needed.

vCash
    I'm still not sold on Infante being our starting 2nd baseman. Some of you apparently don't remember when he was here before. I do! He stunk! It is my belief that Jhonny is just fine. For starters you can't have an Allstar at,every position and he has been Rock Solid at SS for us. Hell he was even the best hitting SS 2 years ago. He deserves respect. He came over here and played hard every day. Miggy is not a good fielding SS, so his faults are not Jhonny's faults.the guy makes good throws and has decent range. He is good with the glove and bat as well. At SS he stays!

Our rotation as far as bullpen and end of game is great except for the Closer. I hope Rondon can get it done. I'd take Dotel, Benoit, and Coke on my team. Now throw in a proven closer and bingo bango bongo, done deal!

We need help at 2nd base, closer and a starting Lefty. Perhaps smyle will do, let's hope!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsforlife View Post
    Exactly. I know we still have Benoit and Dotel as fall back plans but they were unsteady this year. I would much rather at least have a better fall back option if Rondon doesn't work out. Plus, why not start Rondon off in the 7th or 8th and then move him to the closer's role. Remember when Zumaya was the hard throwing closer of the future? How did that work out for us.

I don't need a stud closer, but I am worried if we start with Benoit/Dotel/Rondon as our closer. I would much rather add Hanrahan (although not my first choice) or at least a Gregerson type who could fill the role if needed.
    Zumaya wasn't a bust at all. Zumaya failed because of immaturity and an accident. He played too much guitar hero during the playoffs so messed up his wrist/forearm (immature) and separated his shoulder helping his family move when a fire was moving towards their house (accident). You can't blame that on his ability to pitch and close games. If he didn't sustain those injuries we wouldn't even be discussing Rondon as our closer, Zumaya would be.

I'm still not sold on Infante being our starting 2nd baseman. Some of you apparently don't remember when he was here before. I do! He stunk! It is my belief that Jhonny is just fine. For starters you can't have an Allstar at,every position and he has been Rock Solid at SS for us. Hell he was even the best hitting SS 2 years ago. He deserves respect. He came over here and played hard every day. Miggy is not a good fielding SS, so his faults are not Jhonny's faults.the guy makes good throws and has decent range. He is good with the glove and bat as well. At SS he stays!

Our rotation as far as bullpen and end of game is great except for the Closer. I hope Rondon can get it done. I'd take Dotel, Benoit, and Coke on my team. Now throw in a proven closer and bingo bango bongo, done deal!

We need help at 2nd base, closer and a starting Lefty. Perhaps smyle will do, let's hope!
    If you look at any threads where Peraltas' name pops up you'll see I do support and respect him, more than most I'm guessing. Best hitting SS in the league, what pill did you take??? I'll give him top 5 but certainly not the best. Reyes, Tulo, Castro, Jeter, Cabrera. He has been good for the Tigers, sure-handed, good offense and great clubhouse guy. But his range isn't good and it's only going to get worse. Cabrera is our 3B and he does just fine over there, no reason to complain about him and his fielding at all. You don't need an all-star to play SS but certainly need someone who can play above average defense. The 3B is allowed to have less range than normal, especially if he puts up number like Miggy. The SS is the guy who is supposed to make up for that.

Apparently you forgot when he was here the team and coaching staff wasn't very good. He changed his batting stance, position of his hands and you can tell his defense has gotten better. I won't go as far as to say he's one of the best int he league at his position but he's perfectly fine for this line-up. Plays good enough d, has some speed, hits the gaps and has some good instincts.

vCash
    I'm more comfortable with Infante than Jhonny. I don't care what either player was doing back in 2006

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast