Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 141 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    vCash
    No it wouldn't. Settling for an average coach just to maintain a 4-3 would set us back. It's easy to find players to fit a system. It's impossible to find great coaches to teach a system. The eagles should get ray Horton. Having less holes to fill means nothing when the coach is average at best which is what the available 4-3 coaches are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO View Post
    3-4 would set us back so much

look at our best defensive players/possible building blocks in the front 7

Cox
    Kendricks
    Ryans
    Graham
    Cole
    Thornton
    Jenkins
    Curry

the ONLY guys that even MIGHT do better in a 3-4 are Jenkins and Graham, and those guys are debatable, with his new bulk i would say graham would have a tough time at OLB and Jenkins isnt even that good anymore, and EVERY one of those other guys is better suited in a 4-3

We would AT THE VERY LEAST need a starting NT a backup(unless dixon can be that), 2 rotational DEs, a starting OLB, a rotational OLB, and 2 starting ILB (unless kendricks can be one)

add that to all the needs we have elsewhere and we wouldnt have a chance to fill half of them
    Ugh....not really man. Its more about the system and learning it rather then the personnel.

There's really only 2 positions OLB and DT even t that we have Dixon (dt) and Matthews (MLB).

Although Trent Cole will be the odd man out sadly

vCash
    DE: Cox
    NT: Dixon
    DE: Jenkins

OLB: Cole
    ILB: Ryans
    ILB: Kendricks
    OLB: Graham

That's what we would be looking at, right now. If the change does happen, it remains to be seen who they draft.

vCash
    I think cole could have done it a little earlier. But now athletically I don't think he's capable. He looked done last season

vCash
    I'm not a fan of trying to switch to the 3-4 right now. We're just so far away from it. Horton's a great DC, that said, I'd rather have a guy who came in, and fit what we have, than trying to start from, essentially scratch at every defensive starter position sans maybe one or two spots. We already need two new safties. We need at least one CB right now. And this is without switching to a 3-4. Switch to a 3-4 and you need a capable NT, hope that Fletcher Cox, a career 4-3 DT can play 3-4 DE, find another DE, Demeco Ryans becomes useless in a 3-4 (see, Houtson and why we got him in the first place), hope that Brandon Graham can play rush OLB, hope that aging Trent Cole can play rush OLB, and maybe Kendricks can play ILB just fine. You might have two guys.

Then you're forced to start drafting need (all of the defensive positions listed above) and not BPA. So now you start missing out on guys like Luke Joeckle (if he's there) in favor of Jenkins to fit our LB need (and I don't think Jenkins is nearly as good). You start ignoring other holes this team has (big bodied WR) to make sure we can fill an NT or a long term option at DE over Jenkins.....

Why create 5-7 more holes on this team's defense if you've got 3-4 holes already?

Normally I'm on the train of "don't care how you do it, just win", but this comes down to a point where you could really set this team's timetable back 3 to 4 years by adding in the 3-4 defense to a team who's been running the exact opposite for a long, long time.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-18-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    Ugh....not really man. Its more about the system and learning it rather then the personnel.

There's really only 2 positions OLB and DT even t that we have Dixon (dt) and Matthews (MLB).

Although Trent Cole will be the odd man out sadly
    Kendricks would be inside. And are we expecting Mathews to all of a sudden be a starter (let alone a good player) all of a sudden?
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I'm not a fan of trying to switch to the 3-4 right now. We're just so far away from it. Horton's a great DC, that said, I'd rather have a guy who came in, and fit what we have, than trying to start from, essentially scratch at every defensive starter position sans maybe one or two spots. We already need two new safties. We need at least one CB right now. And this is without switching to a 3-4. Switch to a 3-4 and you need a capable NT, hope that Fletcher Cox, a career 4-3 DT can play 3-4 DE, find another DE, Demeco Ryans becomes useless in a 3-4 (see, Houtson and why we got him in the first place), hope that Brandon Graham can play rush OLB, hope that aging Trent Cole can play rush OLB, and maybe Kendricks can play ILB just fine. You might have two guys.

Then you're forced to start drafting need (all of the defensive positions listed above) and not BPA. So now you start missing out on guys like Luke Joeckle (if he's there) in favor of Jenkins to fit our LB need (and I don't think Jenkins is nearly as good). You start ignoring other holes this team has (big bodied WR) to make sure we can fill an NT or a long term option at DE over Jenkins.....

Why create 5-7 more holes on this team's defense if you've got 3-4 holes already?

Normally I'm on the train of "don't care how you do it, just win", but this comes down to a point where you could really set this team's timetable back 3 to 4 years by adding in the 3-4 defense to a team who's been running the exact opposite for a long, long time.
    Agree with everything youve said. Additionally I will raise the point that I have been making repeatedly but no one seems to acknowledge. Good coaches can coach more than just one scheme. There are plenty of good, successful coaches in the NFL who have been involved with both the 4-3 and the 3-4 defense. Bill Bellichik, Rex Ryan, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Singletary, Mike Nolan, Jim Haslett, Marvin Lewis are just some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    I'm not in anyway saying we should make the switch....personally I think defensively a 4-3 is better then a 3-4. But Chip Kelly seems fairly vocal about switching to a 3-4. If that's the case all I'm say is we're simply not as bad as we may think.

Did we forget that DeMeco completely TORE (a complete seperation) of his Achilles? Injuries like that not only take time physically but also mentally. Towards the end of 2011 Meco looked more then fine....the fact is the Texans were backed up to the cap and in the red penalty area they HAD to clear 6 million dollars in order to not be in the red. For that to happen trading away their MLB now replaced by Cushing and a 7 mill cap hit and a 4th rounder was logical. Ryans is far from being useless as a MLB in a 3-4. Again look at the end of 2011 when even he said the last 4-5 games is when he started trusting his injury more.

We're legitimentaly 1 NT and 1 OLB away from being a 3-4. Graham and Cole will be the wild cards.

And yes I feel Mathews can strive in a 3-4 his east to west speed does well. Tackling and reads and speed is not his problem.....shedding blocks is, you can disguise lbs in a 3-4 a lot more

vCash
    Why do you think the 4-3 is better?

Looks at all those great defensive teams (steelers, ravens texans, Niners, Seahawks) all 3-4 teams
    Last edited by papirico52; 01-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Well a 3-4 defense is more of a chip Kelly style defense. It's flirtatious and u can get cute with it. It's more for a pass league which this league is anymore.

4-3 is up in your face and what u see is what u get....like 8 in the box. A 4-3 you know when cb is blitzing off the edge you know what both the will and Sam are doing, more predictable easier to read for the QB but constant pressure....you clog the a b c gaps so much better

But because I like it doesn't mean it's the answer....the way the league is played today. We can still have a 4-3 but maybe go towards a Tampa cover 2 or something. That's more preventive to the pass

vCash
    Is this Georgia defensive coordinator really good, or another high risk high reward type of thing??

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    I'm not in anyway saying we should make the switch....personally I think defensively a 4-3 is better then a 3-4. But Chip Kelly seems fairly vocal about switching to a 3-4. If that's the case all I'm say is we're simply not as bad as we may think.

Did we forget that DeMeco completely TORE (a complete seperation) of his Achilles? Injuries like that not only take time physically but also mentally. Towards the end of 2011 Meco looked more then fine....the fact is the Texans were backed up to the cap and in the red penalty area they HAD to clear 6 million dollars in order to not be in the red. For that to happen trading away their MLB now replaced by Cushing and a 7 mill cap hit and a 4th rounder was logical. Ryans is far from being useless as a MLB in a 3-4. Again look at the end of 2011 when even he said the last 4-5 games is when he started trusting his injury more.

We're legitimentaly 1 NT and 1 OLB away from being a 3-4. Graham and Cole will be the wild cards.

And yes I feel Mathews can strive in a 3-4 his east to west speed does well. Tackling and reads and speed is not his problem.....shedding blocks is, you can disguise lbs in a 3-4 a lot more
    I disagree that either a 4-3 or a 3-4 is a better system. Ultimately its not what your system that determines success its how you execute it. And yes, you are right, Ryans injury was a concern for the Texans, but they still commented they say a drop off in his effectiveness of play in the 3-4, he himself has admitted he isnt as good in a 3-4 as he is in a 4-3. Im not speculating that he's useless, merely that he isn't one of the best LBs in the league when put in that position.

The 3-4 doesn't let you disguise your ILBs any more than the 4-3 does. In fact, you could make the argument that its in fact harder to disguise them as you have fewer DL to eat up blocks and your front line (NT, DEs and OLBs) are more spread out which means you cant move your ILB around as much as you can with your 4-3 backers because they are essentially responsible for more gaps and a larger coverage area (when they run zone). The outside contain is also wider which means when the when the outside man funnels the run inside there is more ground to cover.

And even if Mathews could thrive in the 3-4, are you still willing to bench Kendricks in favor of him? Seems like a waste of a really good, really young LB who already has proven he can be successful in this league.
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Matthews sucks he is not playing in anything else but ST

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papirico52 View Post
    Matthews sucks he is not playing in anything else but ST
    Assuming he makes the team
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash