Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

After Titans were handed a touchdown, NFL vows to fix replay errors

The Titans were awarded a touchdown on an Andrew Luck interception on Sunday, on a play that should have been blown dead before Luck threw the ball. And even though a replay conclusively showed that Luck’s knee was down before he let go of the ball, the Titans’ touchdown wasn’t overturned.

NFL director of instant replay Dean Blandino says that can’t happen again.

“Unfortunately, we didn’t get this angle down to the referee,” Blandino said on NFL Network. “The replay official did not send it down to the referee. And that is a mistake, and that’s something that we have to make sure doesn’t happen again. You can see that the knee is down, you can see that Luck clearly has control of the football, but the referee never got a look at this angle because the replay official didn’t send it down to the field, and that’s something that we’re going to work on and we have been working on to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

The Colts overcame the replay assistant’s mistake and won the game anyway, but mistakes like that are inexcusable, and the NFL needs to make sure that something like that doesn’t happen again. At the start of this season, botched calls by the replacement officials were the biggest story in the NFL. No one wants botched calls to be the NFL’s biggest story at the end of the season.
    Good to see the NFL admitting something is wrong and I'm really glad this didn't change the outcome of the game.

One other thing I would like to hear is why he didn't get the angle down to the ref though. Did he not have enough time to get it together? Was this a camera he didn't have access to for one reason or another? Did he not think it was a good enough angle? Did he not even see the angle? Is he a Titans fan? and last but not least How many times before has this happened?

I still don't understand why the ref on the field has to go to a little monitor to see if his call was correct or not when you have guys in the booth with complete access to multiple monitors and don't have to admit they were wrong to overturn a play. Why not have the booth official make these decisions, or hire to the reffing crew just to review plays? Would make it a much faster and much more consistent process.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 12-12-2012 at 08:30 PM.

vCash
    If I remember right they only have 30 seconds to review the play. If that is the case the ref could have just run out of time before getting that particular view. Which is inexcusable being the person in the booth should have the most clear view already ready to go the moment they go under the hood.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    If I remember right they only have 30 seconds to review the play.
    I believe it's 90 seconds to review a play actually, but still...inexcusable.