Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

2013 Baseball America top 10 Mets Prospects (predictions)

They will be announced on Friday.

Here is my predictions

1. Zack Wheeler
    2. Wilmer Flores
    3. Michael Fulmer
    4. Jeurys Familia
    5. Domingo Tapia
    6. Luis Mateo
    7. Brandon Nimmo
    8. Gavin Checchini
    9. Rafael Montero
    10. Cesar Puello
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 12-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.

vCash
    Good list. I agree that Fulmer is our next top pitching prospect. He has TORP potential.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Good list. I agree that Fulmer is our next top pitching prospect. He has TORP potential.
    I'm not convinced of TORP potential just yet. I love that he shredded the Sally as a 19 year old, but guys with good fastballs and a good breaking pitch can do that. I want to see him develop that changeup. I think Harvey is a guy who can be very good without a great changeup, but he has that mini-Verlander fastball and generally just better pure stuff than Fulmer.

In a perfect world, I think our future rotation looks something like this:

Harvey/Wheeler/Niese/Fulmer/Gee

However, this isn't a perfect world. Unfortunately, between Harvey/Wheeler/Fulmer, the odds say that one will be solid, one will be a guy who you wonder why he never really put it all together and is a back end of the rotation type or bullpen arm, and one will be completely useless in the majors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I'm not convinced of TORP potential just yet. I love that he shredded the Sally as a 19 year old, but guys with good fastballs and a good breaking pitch can do that. I want to see him develop that changeup. I think Harvey is a guy who can be very good without a great changeup, but he has that mini-Verlander fastball and generally just better pure stuff than Fulmer.

However, this isn't a perfect world. Unfortunately, between Harvey/Wheeler/Fulmer, the odds say that one will be solid, one will be a guy who you wonder why he never really put it all together and is a back end of the rotation type or bullpen arm, and one will be completely useless in the majors.
    Mike Pelfrey, you rang>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    Mike Pelfrey, you rang>
    Except with Pelfrey, it's easy to tell why he never made it big in the majors: his secondaries were hilariously terrible. That sinker/fb could have carried him to greatness with even above average secondaries.

vCash
    Except with Pelfrey, it's easy to tell why he never made it big in the majors: his secondaries were hilariously terrible. That sinker/fb could have carried him to greatness with even above average secondaries.
    I think it was more of mental makeup than everything else with Pelfrey. Excluding the one half of a season where he pitched lights out, the guy was as inconsistent as they come. He lacked confidence on the mound...never really thought his "stuff" was an issue.

vCash

Yeah, I see Fulmer as more of a #3 in the future with an outside chance of being a #2.

As for Harvey, his change-up is a quality offering now. It's the reason why I think he can be a legit ace. I don't think Wheeler's change-up will ever catch up to Harvey's, so I think he'll be a #2 like you put.

Every prospect is different, so no matter what the odds are, their fate can be different.

vCash
    I agree with your list 100% except I'd switch Aderlin and Cecchini.

vCash
    Those pitching specs give a lot of reason for optimism but the Mets still need more positional help without question.

vCash
    And the amazing thing is that we have pitching prospects in the lower minors just waiting to make the top ten.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    My guess:

1. SP Zack Wheeler
    2. SP Michael Fulmer
    3. 3B Wilmer Flores
    4. SP Rafael Montero
    5. SP Jeurys Familia
    6. OF Brandon Nimmo
    7. SP Luis Mateo
    8. SS Gavin Cecchini
    9. SP Domingo Tapia
    10. SS German Ahmed Rosario

vCash
    I'd say:

1) Wheeler
    2) Flores
    3) Familia
    4) Fulmer
    5) Nimmo
    6) Tapia
    7) Cecchini
    8) Mateo
    9) Montero
    10) Robles

vCash
    If his fastball was a swing and miss offering like Harvey's, he would have been better.

vCash
    I guess Verrett and Pill aren't up there because of their advanced age, but they both have real potential. Gabriel Ynoa, Luis Cessa and Rainy Lara will also be knocking on the door. We may need a separate top 10 just for pitching prospects.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Fulmer is still very young though, that changeup can come as he comes along.

Its hard to project a guy like that when he has only seen A ball.

And if he doesn't develop an effective third weapon in his arsenal he could still be a very good bullpen piece in the future.

Saying that, I think his ceiling as a #3 or #2 starter is still very possible if he finds that said changeup.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-14-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast