Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Raiders roster remodel will be severe....SFGATE.com

The Raiders parted ways, over the last year, with 26 players who were on the active roster on Week 17 of the 2011 season. And they're just getting started.

Seventeen Oakland players are unrestricted free agents, and most of those will not be back. And there are experienced players under contract with the team who are confident they will be gone, as well.

Coach Dennis Allen, who just completed a 4-12 rookie season, said he and general manager Reggie McKenzie have met several times the past few weeks essentially crossing names out, writing them back in pencil, and crossing some more out.

"We've identified those guys that we're trying to get back and we're in the process," Allen said. "How long that process takes, at the end of the day Reggie will handle that part of it. But we've met a lot (discussing) where we're going as an organization and what we're looking to do. We've got a clear plan of what we're trying to get done."

Of the 17 free agents (see list), you can pretty much kiss punter Shane Lechler and defensive tackle Richard Seymour goodbye. Lechler made $3.8 million last year and McKenzie kept rookie Marquette King around on injured reserve for a not-raining-money day.

Seymour missed eight games with a hamstring injury, and probably will sign with a contender for less than the $7.5 million he made last season.

Among those players McKenzie and Allen would like back are linebacker Philip Wheeler and defensive end Andre Carter. Tight end Brandon Myers and defensive tackle Desmond Bryant both had good seasons and also likely would be welcomed back at the right price.

Heading up the list of players under contract who will not be back are middle linebacker Rolando McClain. He was suspended for two games for a series of transgressions and will be released when it makes salary-cap sense to do so.

The Raiders are very close to the projected 2013 salary cap figure of $121 million, and defensive tackle Tommy Kelly ($6.5 million salary) and receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey ($7.72 million) could be released to make room. Kelly, who was double-teamed at times with Seymour out, had only 1.5 sacks. Heyward-Bey finished with 41 catches and 606 yards - down from 64 and 975.

McKenzie made clear that the team needs more leaders, and Allen said that was part of putting a list together.

"I know we have some guys that are going to be the core of what we want and the type of players we want," Allen said. "I also know we've got some work to do to get more of those types of players."

Quarterback Carson Palmer appears to be one of those core players because of his $13 million salary next year and the salary-cap implications if they cut him and the lack of a clear alternative.

Raiders free agents

Players eligible for unrestricted free agency: T Khalif Barnes, DT Desmond Bryant, G Cooper Carlisle, DE Andre Carter, LB Omar Gaither, S Matt Giordano, RB Mike Goodson, WR Derek Hagan, CB Joselio Hanson, P Shane Lechler, QB Matt Leinart, S Mike Mitchell, TE Brandon Myers, DT Richard Seymour, DE Matt Shaughnessy, CB Shawntae Spencer, LB Philip Wheeler

Players eligible for restricted free agency: CB Phillip Adams

Exclusive-rights free agents: LB Kaelin Burnett, WR Duke Calhoun, CB Coye Francies, T Zach Hurd, C/G Alex Parsons, CB Brandian Ross, RB Jeremy Stewart

vCash
    well off of that list of all our free agents id like to see Wheeler , Dez Bryant , Goodson and Myers return.... the rest can go

I would really like to stop with Khalif Barnes, Carlisle for the love of god,

vCash
    i read this earlier...Pretty much if you include our exclusive rights and restricted free agents, half of our active roster are in some sort of free agency this off season. Add to that the five or six potential releases, and we are looking at over a 50% turnover from this years team. Which, considering everything, might be a good thing haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiStyle View Post
    well off of that list of all our free agents id like to see Wheeler , Dez Bryant , Goodson and Myers return.... the rest can go

Im not sure about Goodson. i would like the raiders to bring in veteran with more of a track record...I really want Jeremy Stewart at the number 3 on the depth chart and Taiwan specifically for ST.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiStyle View Post

I hear you. I'm so tired of the Oline sucking, I can't put it into words. Can we draft or sign another good OT?

vCash
    Clean House!!!!!
    #FreeCrooner!!!!

vCash
    all these things in motion im curious to our cap space

vCash
    I think Goody and Hagen should be invited back.

vCash
    Time to dispose of the trash...
    "The Greatness Of The Raiders Lies In The Future"-Al Davis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    I think Goody and Hagen should be invited back.
    Yea i agree, i love me some cheap solid depth!
    "The Greatness Of The Raiders Lies In The Future"-Al Davis

vCash
    I'd keep wheeler , carter and maybe spencer for some depth ...

vCash
    Slow news day apparently. We've all seen this coming for some time, the blood bath has yet to reach full bore. Good riddance to the overpaid bums and open arms to team leaders and blue collared workers.

vCash
    The coaches have basically said Wheeler and Carter are guys they want to bring back. I think Bryant should be a priority as well, I believe. He had 4 sacks in the last 4 games.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
    Roush Fenway Racing #17 Ford Fusion

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year Winner

vCash
    Glad to see Palmer is a lock to be back. It would be stupid to cut him.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    Who said it was a lock? this is just speculation

My girl. Don't look at her.

STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast