Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Why do most action movie / block buster type films ever get Oscar consideration.

I still am beyond enfuriated Hurt Locker beat out Avatar a few years back.

I feel like Les Miserables / Life of Pi / Lincoln, and a couple others are getting most the oscar hype.

No mention of TDKR or Avengers which were both very enjoyable and extremely popular.

It's annoying to me that the academy chooses to ignore main stream film a lot of the time.

vCash
    Movies today are selected using left wing politics, but not only actual politics affect the choices but the politics of Hollywood.

Success and whether a movie is actually good never comes into play anymore and in reality hasn't for years.

Get used to it now and you will never be disappointed. You will just look at it as the reality of the situation.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Movies today are selected using left wing politics, but not only actual politics affect the choices but the politics of Hollywood.

Success and whether a movie is actually good never comes into play anymore and in reality hasn't for years.

Get used to it now and you will never be disappointed. You will just look at it as the reality of the situation.
    Oh, like when the Hurt Locker, a war movie, beat out Avatar, which actually involved a left wing story line?

vCash
    because most of them dont deserve awards.just because something is popular doesnt mean its good/better

also i dont see what your saying,plenty of blockbusters get nominated and win awards.just look up the the nomminated and winners through oscar histoy
    Last edited by abe_froman; 12-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    because most of them dont deserve awards.just because something is popular doesnt mean its good/better

also i dont see what your saying,plenty of blockbusters get nominated and win awards.just look up the the nomminated and winners through oscar histoy
    this, i dont know how avengers has an 8.4 on imdb.

vCash
    Avatar sucked so it didn't bother me that it didn't win.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    If the film is more than just an action movie it can win. Braveheart, Gladiator, Platoon, etc, had a lot of elements of an action movie and won.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    I will never get over Predator not winning an Academy Award for best picture in 1987

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I will never get over Predator not winning an Academy Award for best picture in 1987
    how arnold lost best actor with such lines as "get to the coppah!!" is beyond me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    how arnold lost best actor with such lines as "get to the coppah!!" is beyond me
    I mean, when he threw that knife through that dude, sticking him to the door, and said, "Stick awound", I got chills. I don't know about you...

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I mean, when he threw that knife through that dude, sticking him to the door, and said, "Stick awound", I got chills. I don't know about you...
    I think he should have gotten the award for his bone-chilling screams

Screams from Predator

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Because they aren't better films. The Avengers had some less-than-stellar cinematography and, as much as I liked it, TDKR had some awful pacing and monstrous plot holes, not to mention Marrion Cottilard dying by closing her eyes and flopping her head sideways a little (I still cannot watch that scene). There is a difference between good MOVIES and good FILMS. Movies win awards with People's Choice and MTV type award shows while excellent filmmaking and artwork wins at the Oscars.

And if you think it's biased, the majority of Oscar voters are men that fit the demography of action-movie viewers. The reason they don't vote those action movies is because they can disassociate between good movies and good films.

And for everybody that is going to use the argument, "Movies should be judged on how entertaining they are.... blah, blah, blaj...". No. Just no.

vCash
    Honestly I think that its not that there worse films.

I think the edgiest films on social issues get credit for being daring.

I'm aware that the most popular movie shouldn't win. But the most popular film of all time?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post

I'm aware that the most popular movie shouldn't win. But the most popular film of all time?
    you talking about avatar? its not a good movie.it was only popular because of the visuals,even fans admitt that."oooh 3 d,i never seen a 3d movie before".but once you get past that you realize that it really isnt that good of a movie,and many parts are down right silly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post

No. Sorry, the most money of all time is not synonymous with the most popular of all time. Still, even if it is the most popular, popularity does not dictate talent.

Justin Bieber is one of the most popular musicians right now. I think you see my point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast