Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 631 to 645 of 658
  1. #631
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,974
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    1) 20 million dollars today has more buying power than 20 million dollars in 3 years, i.e the effects of inflation. I'd hope we could agree on something that simple.

    2) Ok what about compounding interest? Are you assuming the Cubs issue a 200M contract and throw that entire 200M into some investment pulling out whatever they need on an annual basis to pay the contract?
    1) yes ...see below

    2) the entire contract? No but the player should be smart enough to not blow the entire amount of his contract every year so the more he can invest sooner will only help him... no matter what inflation is because his return (if invested wisely) should track or even hedge inflation.


    compounding interest is the best thing anyone can have working for them.... inflation goes up interest rates should follow somewhat closely.

    trust me front loading will become more popular... we will have to wait and see but the trend has been started.

  2. #632
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    4,829
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    I actually disagree on this one. Nightengale is one of the good guys.

    If the guys agent comes to you and says "Hey, we're signing with the Cubs for 5/75. Wanted you to be the first to know it." whats he supposed to do? I'm sure his other sources verified that the Cubs were in serious talks.

    His agent is a sleazeball, but I dont blame Nightengale here.
    I do think Nightengale is respectable and I do think he got played by Sanchez's agent here, but I do think some of this blame goes on him. He's the journalist so it is his job to make sure is information is concrete which clearly it wasn't.

    Sure Sanchez's agent is a credible source but agent's play the media. It was Nightengales job to confirm it with the Cubs. If it's not concrete don't post it.

    And it's not even just Nightengale...That's how is should be for every professional journalist whether it's in sports or general news.

  3. #633
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    973
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    1) yes ...see below

    2) the entire contract? No but the player should be smart enough to not blow the entire amount of his contract every year so the more he can invest sooner will only help him... no matter what inflation is because his return (if invested wisely) should track or even hedge inflation.


    compounding interest is the best thing anyone can have working for them.... inflation goes up interest rates should follow somewhat closely.

    trust me front loading will become more popular... we will have to wait and see but the trend has been started.
    Well yeah, of course the players want their contracts front loaded, but that's terrible for the teams. Front loading a 5/75 contract can make it's real value over those 5 years more like 80.

  4. #634
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    16,572
    vCash
    1500
    I don't see much of a difference in Sanchez and Jackson, so hopefully we go that direction. Jackson lost a tiny bit of velocity last season, but we also shouldn't forget Sanchez' comment about his shoulder in ST. Both are under 30, but do have some concerns.

    Hell, if we went 5/77.5, maybe we'll throw a little more at Bourn.

  5. #635
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,410
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    I actually disagree on this one. Nightengale is one of the good guys.

    If the guys agent comes to you and says "Hey, we're signing with the Cubs for 5/75. Wanted you to be the first to know it." whats he supposed to do? I'm sure his other sources verified that the Cubs were in serious talks.

    His agent is a sleazeball, but I dont blame Nightengale here.
    I highly doubt that's how the conversation went down. This agent is obviously a dirtbag and we have no clue for sure how I went down but the point is he was absolutely wrong on the deal being done. It's a big journalism mistake and he is completely at fault for jumping the gun

  6. #636
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    973
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I don't see much of a difference in Sanchez and Jackson, so hopefully we go that direction. Jackson lost a tiny bit of velocity last season, but we also shouldn't forget Sanchez' comment about his shoulder in ST. Both are under 30, but do have some concerns.

    Hell, if we went 5/77.5, maybe we'll throw a little more at Bourn.
    If Edwin Jackson gets anywhere near 5/77.5 that is a giant overpayment.

  7. #637
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2206 View Post
    This. I'm sick of these "reports" jumping the gun before actually having a credible source confirm it. Nightingale had nothing credible to state that the cubs had signed Sanchez. It's f*cking bullsh*t
    He did actually have the agent saying it was a done deal. He got played like a fiddle.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  8. #638
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    813
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    1) 20 million dollars today has more buying power than 20 million dollars in 3 years, i.e the effects of inflation. I'd hope we could agree on something that simple.

    2) Ok what about compounding interest? Are you assuming the Cubs issue a 200M contract and throw that entire 200M into some investment pulling out whatever they need on an annual basis to pay the contract?

    Wouldn't surprise me if that is what people believe...half the country thinks that is how Social Security works. That the government is just sitting there depositing their SS payments in an account just for them.

  9. #639
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16,215
    vCash
    1500
    Some perspective:

    There's a tremendous amount of pressure on these reporters to break a story; it's not just self-imposed. Anyone has the potential to be first, and beyond intuition -- while I've never covered athletics -- it's tough when you're only as good as your sources.

    Fans consume the **** out of sports media. Writers/reporters are doing their damndest to meet demands and provide instant gratification.

    Yes, some need to practice a bit more discretion, but learn to appreciate the good journalists, and be prepared for what gets sacrificed when we expect them to turn to Twitter, blogging, etc., essentially bypassing the editorial process.

  10. #640
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,368
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    He would also be much harder to sign.
    yes he would but the point is still valid. A good deal for a club will always be harder to obtain.

  11. #641
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by socherball View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if that is what people believe...half the country thinks that is how Social Security works. That the government is just sitting there depositing their SS payments in an account just for them.
    Ha ha ha...good ****!

    Baseball is maybe the only sport that front loading would actually work because they don't have a salary cap. Don't expect teams to line up to start doing them because at first glance you say hey we can save on X when in his final years of the deal but it actually handcuffs a team more than helps them in the current. Players might like it more than anyone as it gives them more security but for a team it gives the player less of a reason to play for pay so to speak or to hury back from an injury because he has banked the bulk of his salary already.
    Last edited by ABE32; 12-14-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  12. #642
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    1500
    Thoughts and prayers are with the families and everyone impacted in the Newton School shootings. Damn Damn Damn!!!!
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  13. #643
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,368
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Ha ha ha...good ****!

    Baseball is maybe the only sport that front loading would actually work because they don't have a salary cap. Don't expect teams to line up to start doing them because at first glance you say hey we can save on X when in his final years of the deal but it actually handcuffs a team more than helps them in the current. Players might like it more than anyone as it gives them more security but for a team it gives the player less of a reason to play for pay so to speak or to hury back from an injury because he has banked the bulk of his salary already.
    I don't understand the last part, baseball contracts are guaranteed if a player was going to play lazy wouldn't he do it from day 1?

  14. #644
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,368
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Thoughts and prayers are with the families and everyone impacted in the Newton School shootings. Damn Damn Damn!!!!
    Wow this is getting crazy.

  15. #645
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsofchicago View Post
    I don't understand the last part, baseball contracts are guaranteed if a player was going to play lazy wouldn't he do it from day 1?
    when you are soriano's age lets say hey you have a contract for 200 million and you have played 2 years and have already collected 100 million of that. Do you think you would see Sori out there playing everyday on bad knees or would he be protecting his body for his next contract. Soriano may be a bad example because of the kind of guy he is but Athletes milk it and they also have perfomance clauses that might not mean **** when you already have collected the bulk of your cash.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •