Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Why do you expect a player to be loyal to a team that isn't willing to pay him what he's worth? Couldn't you just as easily argue that the team is being disloyal by not paying the players market value?
    But what defines "market value" theslick1? Take the Cardinals with Pujols-- I consider 9 years, 200 million to be a very fair offer. When does a team say "enough is enough?"

Or I heard Jeter in his press conference a couple years back saying he was "frustrated" by negotiations. Be thankful pal the Yankees gave you 3 years, 51 million because on the open market, you MIGHT have been worth a 1 year deal worth 4 million after the season you had.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    But what defines "market value" theslick1? Take the Cardinals with Pujols-- I consider 9 years, 200 million to be a very fair offer. When does a team say "enough is enough?"
    So if someone offered you 52 million dollars to play 1 more year on top of 200 million for 9 years, you would not see that as significant? As I previously mentioned, it was widely reported that the Marlins offered him $275m/10yrs and he turned it down for the Angels lower offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post

Or I heard Jeter in his press conference a couple years back saying he was "frustrated" by negotiations. Be thankful pal the Yankees gave you 3 years, 51 million because on the open market, you MIGHT have been worth a 1 year deal worth 4 million after the season you had.
    "Market value" is simply what the player is worth on the open market. It has nothing to do with what you or I consider "fair." Rarely do teams keep players out of loyalty, they keep them because it makes financial sense for them to do so.

And the loyalty thing does work in both directions. The Mariners traded Ichiro to the Yankees. The Astros traded Lance Berkman. Had these guys left in free agency, people would have called them disloyal but I don't hear anyone calling the Mariners or Astros "disloyal" for trading away guys who had spent their entire careers with those teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    "Market value" is simply what the player is worth on the open market. It has nothing to do with what you or I consider "fair." Rarely do teams keep players out of loyalty, they keep them because it makes financial sense for them to do so.

And the loyalty thing does work in both directions. The Mariners traded Ichiro to the Yankees. The Astros traded Lance Berkman. Had these guys left in free agency, people would have called them disloyal but I don't hear anyone calling the Mariners or Astros "disloyal" for trading away guys who had spent their entire careers with those teams.
    Probably because it's perceived as the teams doing them a favor by giving them a chance to compete for a championship late in their careers.

I do agree that all this loyalty talk is though.

vCash
    I dont see how people switch teams so easy. I would love to be rembered on one team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ichitownclowni View Post
    I dont see how people switch teams so easy. I would love to be rembered on one team.
    Money, opportunity to win, potentially better climate. There are many factors which could be more appealing than nostalgia and sentiment.

vCash
    Same here, raise kids in the area, do charity work, and just be known around the city. I'd love that.

vCash
    I think the term "loyalty" is one of the most frequently used silly/stupid term in sports.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Money, opportunity to win, potentially better climate. There are many factors which could be more appealing than nostalgia and sentiment.
    The whole climate thing is ********. Get over it. I love the cold and hot. If I was a MLB player and was drafted by the White Sox I would be the happiest person alive. If it meant I take a couple mill less but play for them oh well. If we are talking like 10 mil I could see pondering it but I just dont get it

vCash
    The whole climate thing is ********. Get over it. I love the cold and hot. If I was a MLB player and was drafted by the White Sox I would be the happiest person alive. If it meant I take a couple mill less but play for them oh well. If we are talking like 10 mil I could see pondering it but I just dont get it
    I'll really try to get over simply pointing out to you that there are many possible factors to consider in relocating, most of which trump nostalgia and sentiment. It'll be tough for me to get over that, as the weight of it is simply crushing me.

vCash
    im sure noone here would jump for a bigger payday if it meant staying in your crappy job

and if everyone was loyal to stay in their team then there wouldnt be anything special to talk about those that do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplay2007 View Post
    It seems like the guys that we once cheered and loved always take the money over loyalty these days.

Do you guys have a problem with this or is it just me? Nothing's stranger then seeing your franchise guy leave town for more money.
    I could care less. The Cardinals could not afford Pujols. The Rangers were not going to offer Hamilton that many years. Why should a player not take what is offered? If I have a rival company come to me and offer me more money, am I supposed to be loyal? Ludacris.

vCash
    I recall a similar complain from fans--in 1979, when Tommy John signed with the Yankees for $575,000 a year.

vCash
    loyalty means nothing when teams throw around the money they do. it's a business. you can say the same thing loyalty wise of the team though. if you want to keep them, offer what your rival is offering. why is it the players responsiblity to make sure he says on the team? why is the player being greddy and not the team being cheap?
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    [QUOTE=Pinstripe power;24767624]loyalty means nothing when teams throw around the money they do. it's a business. you can say the same thing loyalty wise of the team though. if you want to keep them, offer what your rival is offering. why is it the players responsiblity to make sure he says on the team? why is the player being greddy and not the team being cheap?[/QUOTE]

I don't buy into that argument. Is 9 years, 200 million really being called "cheap?" I could understand the argument if Player A's former team offered 5 years, 50 million and the team he signed with was 8 years, 150 million. Big difference there. There are a lot of things that you need to look into when you say "cheap." How old is the person? Has he had any previous "demons" in his past where you would be hesitant to offer a long term deal?
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast