Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees90. View Post
    10 years 250 million.

OR

5 years I believe 100 million?

I don't care who you are or what sport you play or in what generation you play it in. If those are my two contracts offers, its a no-brainer.

Not to mention Pujols' has another contract that kicks in after this one. 10 year deal at 1 million a year I believe it was. Office job.
    Cards offered 9/200 fwiw

And why should we demand loyalty from a player who is drafted by a team not of their choice?

When these kids are first selected, they have no say in what team they go to. Why should we demand that they remain loyal to an organization? They finally get to choose where they play, and potentially, how much money they can earn. I don't see why we should demand that they be loyal. It is neat when it happens, and it is ideal. But it shouldn't be demanded of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iam brett favre View Post
    Thats why I love Jeter and Mo so much. It's not easy to find loyal players in the MLB, but there are a special few that are.
    And you have to be good enough to even have that opportunity.

****** players don't get to spend a decade with one organization.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GOON MUSIC View Post
    You guys probably ain't loyal to people when there's no money involved, don't act like you would with millions of dollars on the table
    I agree with that statement GOON, but when is enough enough? I know I am in the minority on this, but when you are talking 9 years, 200 million vs 10 years, 250 million, is there really a difference in terms of life and lifestyle? Are you going to go hungry? Is your family and kids and grandkids going to have to work again a day in their lives?
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I agree with that statement GOON, but when is enough enough? I know I am in the minority on this, but when you are talking 9 years, 200 million vs 10 years, 250 million, is there really a difference in terms of life and lifestyle? Are you going to go hungry? Is your family and kids and grandkids going to have to work again a day in their lives?
    An extra year of playing baseball for 52 million dollars seems pretty good. Why wouldn't Pujols want that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    It wasn't about need or family going hungry for Pujols.

It was about being paid like the best player in baseball, which Pujols feel like he is (and he is).

He wants what the money says. Not what the money can be used for.

Regardless if you think that matters or not. That's what mattered to Pujols. And he felt the Cardinals were not aggressive enough in going after him. Not like Arte Moreno was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    It wasn't about need or family going hungry for Pujols.

It was about being paid like the best player in baseball, which Pujols feel like he is (and he is).

He wants what the money says. Not what the money can be used for.

Regardless if you think that matters or not. That's what mattered to Pujols. And he felt the Cardinals were not aggressive enough in going after him. Not like Arte Moreno was.
    I heard that Miami offered 10y/$275m to Pujols but he turned it down because of no NTC and the job that follows his playing career in Anaheim.

vCash
    Nobody knows what happens behind closed doors. There's definitely players that are thinking, "I cant wait to get the hell out of here" without us knowing anything about him feeling that way. For example, Hamilton didn't give Texas the chance to match LAA's offer. To me that speaks volumes to his relationship with the FO. He probably wasn't a fan of being scrutinized by Nolan Ryan this year. Not saying he is right, because the Rangers had his back through relapses, but it only takes one event to burn a bridge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    I heard that Miami offered 10y/$275m to Pujols but he turned it down because of no NTC and the job that follows his playing career in Anaheim.
    Yup.

The personal services clause and the NTC

vCash
    Just like with the Malins trading players they told they wouldn't move, this is a business. I don't side with the players or the owners, I just know its a business. These players and owners don't make these decision based on emotion, at least they shouldn't. Tis is all amount dollars and sense, what makes the most money and what makes the most sense.

Playoff Bochy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    I would not question others' integrity when I do not know them. I own 2 businesses & I am a professional musician and I have yet made a decision against my values & integrity purely for money. They are worth much more to me than that. I need to be able to look myself in the mirror and know I did the right thing.

Now if someone's values are not the same as mine, then what they choose may be perfectly fine for them, though I might not do it myself. As long as it does not hurt anyone, I'm okay with it. I may not respect them, but that is a whole other topic.
    "Values and integrity" really have to do with deciding to play baseball for another team. Neither is sacrificed by deciding to play a game in a different city wearing a different uniform.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    "Values and integrity" really have to do with deciding to play baseball for another team. Neither is sacrificed by deciding to play a game in a different city wearing a different uniform.
    Disagree.

EDIT: That may be your values speaking here.
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 12-14-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

vCash
    I think loyalty in the game is still the same as it was in the past, the hate for division rivals has diminished severely though, we very rarely see actual fights anymore in baseball so it's understandable. But guys like Longoria, Wright, Tulo, and Cano I can easily see playing their whole careers with one organization.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Disagree.

EDIT: That may be your values speaking here.
    Why do you expect a player to be loyal to a team that isn't willing to pay him what he's worth? Couldn't you just as easily argue that the team is being disloyal by not paying the players market value?

vCash
    Loyalty doesn't matter in sports.

You are a mercenary. You are being paid for "services". You aren't being paid to be loyal or a good person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post

Why do you expect a player to be loyal to a team that isn't willing to pay him what he's worth? Couldn't you just as easily argue that the team is being disloyal by not paying the players market value?
    I'm not expecting anything. I just have an issue people assuming all people's motives are the same as them, especially assuming it is money. They are not mine.

And yeah, you could argue the team is disloyal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast