Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    .............4th place.
    Explain, I know you love saying that but I want to hear why.

Also, if you truly believe Johan is still an ace, then we can make the playoffs next year by keeping Dickey. Dickey, Johan, Harvey, Niese, Gee is a fantastic rotation that will win games on it's own.

Since we are supposed to have some money to spend, if we got two quality pen arms and say a Michael Bourn(1 year) and Cody Ross, then wouldn't we be very good?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    LOL Mike Trout??? He's literally untouchable. I think you are dreaming, time to go back to sleep.
    I might be dreaming. I've been studying all night for finals.

I mean.......one can dream right?????..........Does anyone think Jerry Dipoto can get dreamy too????

vCash
    I might be dreaming. I've been studying all night for finals.

I mean.......one can dream right?????..........Does anyone think Jerry DiPoto can get dreamy too????

Mine is on Monday so I have the weekend for that.

Trout will retire as an Angel and be a HOF if last season was any indication of his abilities.

vCash
    Explain.

Also, if you truly believe Johan is still an ace, then we can make the playoffs next year by keeping Dickey. Dickey, Johan, Harvey, Niese, Gee is a fantastic rotation that will win games on it's own.
    We have no bullpen and no offense.

But one cannot doubt the value Dickey and Santana have when Santana is healthy (check his numbers before July).

About my 4th place comment, that proposal you made is 4th place.

We need a real middle of the order big impact bat. Wright is NOT (and never was) that impact bat.

To this day, we've never really replaced Carlos Delgado's bat. We need a guy in the middle of the order who makes others better, and who gets Wright fastballs (notice how Wright did when Beltran and Delgado was in our lineup 2006-2008 and compare that to when they left), and who makes pitchers feel fear. We don't have that now.

We also need a Rusell Martin like catcher (not Martin himself because he's too old but someone like him). Also the bullpen is still bad. Those are the things we need to get out of 4th place (assuming our starting pitching performs like it did in the first half of last season).

vCash
    We have no bullpen and no offense.

But one cannot doubt the value Dickey and Santana have when Santana is healthy (check his numbers before July).

About my 4th place comment, that proposal you made is 4th place.

We need a real middle of the order big impact bat. Wright is NOT (and never was) that impact bat.

To this day, we've never really replaced Carlos Delgado's bat. We need a guy in the middle of the order who makes others better, and who gets Wright fastballs (notice how Wright did when Beltran and Delgado was in our lineup 2006-2008 and compare that to when they left), and who makes pitchers feel fear. We don't have that now.

We also need a Rusell Martin like catcher (not Martin himself because he's too old but someone like him). Also the bullpen is still bad. Those are the things we need to get out of 4th place (assuming our starting pitching performs like it did in the first half of last season).
    Fair enough, I agree for the most part. I don't doubt that if we deal Dickey it will suck short term, but having a nice young CF under control for four seasons will be nice for our future and is one less OF spot to fill.

Wright was a middle of the order impact bat before he moved into Citi Field regardless of Delgado or Beltran(his stats in 2005 were great too)

I don't know how we can get that great hitter, we'll have to settle for guys like Corey Hart probably. But like the Giants showed, with pitching, defense, and a bullpen, you can win the WS. The bullpen can be fixed, defense is a cheap way to improve the team. I don't think the team is cemented in 4th place if they make the right moves.

The way things are going, the Mets will most likely be in 4th place next year, but if they can fix the pen and get a few outfielders, I think we can contend for the wild card. Like you said, pitching wins and our starters are great.

vCash
    Fair enough, I agree for the most part. I don't doubt that if we deal Dickey it will suck short term, but having a nice young CF under control for four seasons will be nice for our future and is one less OF spot to fill.

Wright was a middle of the order impact bat before he moved into Citi Field regardless of Delgado or Beltran(his stats in 2005 were great too)

I don't know how we can get that great hitter, we'll have to settle for guys like Corey Hart probably. But like the Giants showed, with pitching, defense, and a bullpen, you can win the WS. The bullpen can be fixed, defense is a cheap way to improve the team. I don't think the team is cemented in 4th place if they make the right moves.

The way things are going, the Mets will most likely be in 4th place next year, but if they can fix the pen and get a few outfielders, I think we can contend for the wild card. Like you said, pitching wins and our starters are great.
    This...

I think people underestimate how bad our bullpen was last year (29th in the majors in ERA). If our young arms can continue to develop there and we can a veteran arm or two we are talking about a possible strength not a major, major, major weakness that has plagued us in recent years.

Add a Corey Hart and a Prado in 2014 with an improved bullpen and what looks like a very good rotation going forward and this team can compete.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-14-2012 at 10:36 AM.

vCash
    The Mets could have the luxury of having 4 very good and very cheap SPs.

Thats a luxury most teams don't have and it should allow them to spend money in other areas (if they have it)

Its also the hardest and most expensive asset to acquire which the Mets should not have to worry about.

Get a Trumbo and other pieces or Olt and other pieces for Dickey and now you have positional help to go with that SP and hopefully a better pen.

Things can change quickly if the Mets get some OF and C help in FA or trade by 2014.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-14-2012 at 09:12 AM.

vCash
    Aledmys Diaz & Dariel Alvarez Close To Free Agency
    By Mike Axisa [November 28, 2012 at 6:00pm CST]
    Cuban prospects Aledmys Diaz and Dariel Alvarez are expected to be declared free agents soon, reports MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez. Both players have submitted their paperwork to the commissioner's office and could enter the market as soon as early next week.

Diaz, 22, is a right-handed hitting shortstop who defected last summer and has since established residency in Mexico. He stands 6-foot-1 and 185 lbs. and will take part in a series of showcase events starting next week. Sanchez says Diaz can hit for average and power while providing speed as well. Several teams have already expressed interest in signing him.

Alvarez, 24, is a right-handed hitting outfielder. He also defected last summer and established residency in Mexico, where he has been playing winter ball. Alvarez stands 6-foot-2 and 190 lbs. and is said to be able to play all three outfield spots while providing an above-average arm. Sanchez says it's unclear if Diaz or Alvarez will command contracts on par with Yoenis Cespedes and Yasiel Puig.
    The site thou shall not be named.

That's the kid I want.

Alderson get off you arse and make it happen.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METSandJETS94 View Post
    Sign Michael Bourn, Scott Hairston, Kelly Shoppach (or another powerful righty catcher), and bullpen help. Trade Niese, Valdespin, mid level prospects for Justin Upton.

Bourn
    Tejada
    Wright
    Davis
    Upton
    Duda/Hairston
    Murphy
    Thole/Shoppach (or whatever catcher we sign)

Dickey
    Johan
    Harvey
    Gee
    Mejia

That's a playoff team and these moves aren't that far fetched.
    LOL with that pitching staff, its the 4th best in our own division, what playoff team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    The site thou shall not be named.

That's the kid I want.

Alderson get off you arse and make it happen.
    Improving the team is not in his job description.

vCash
    Mets and the Angels are interested in Niese too. I still think Toronto or texas makes the most sense to work out a trade with. I feel Niese or Dickey will be traded before spring training

vCash
    Improving the team is not in his job description.
    Sure it is.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Sure it is.
    His only job is to get Freddo out of debt and lie to the fanbase while sucking resources from the team.

(doing my best mcfly impression)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Mets View Post
    Mets and the Angels are interested in Niese too. I still think Toronto or texas makes the most sense to work out a trade with. I feel Niese or Dickey will be traded before spring training
    Hopefully it happens before Christmas, with the many holes the Mets have, they need to know what the trade will bring them (or even if a trade will happen) soon, so they can move on to make the other improvements.

vCash
    This is great news for Alderson and the Mets. Even if a trade is unlikely because the asking price for Dickey 'was' too high, the competition and demand for Dickeys services just rose ALOT.

This will only make a return in talent for Dickey greater, not exactly more probable. But this is exactly the market Alderson intended for.
    #oneatatime

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast