Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    After we lost Colby Lewis to injury we traded for Dempster to be our #4 starter, and after the season there was no way we wanted him back at any price. Aside from BAL his only good outings came against bottom-feeding teams like CLE, MIN, and KC and he got absolutely crushed by teams with decent offenses like LAA and NYY, so I don't get why BOS would sign him to be more than a 1-year stopgap in the #5 spot. 3 years and that much per for an old declining vet is a little strange.

vCash
    I don't picture Dempster pitching well in that division.

Slumpy Shoulder HR Counter: 10

vCash
    Dempster vs teams under .500 - 73-52, 4.01 ERA, 1092 innings, 2.11 K/BB
    Dempster vs teams over .500 - 51-72, 4.65 ERA, 1123.2 innings, 1.78 K/BB

vCash
    One thing's forsure, team chemisty went from an all time low with Bobby V to an all time high by dumping Bobby V, and adding comedians such as Johny Gomes and Ryan Dempster.

It should be a fun year in Red Sox Nation!
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar - #7 in the World

French Canadian Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Dempster vs teams under .500 - 73-52, 4.01 ERA, 1092 innings, 2.11 K/BB
    Dempster vs teams over .500 - 51-72, 4.65 ERA, 1123.2 innings, 1.78 K/BB
    In other news, like all pitchers he is worse against tougher competition.

I'm not a huge fan of Dempster but I hate stats like this, or when people say pitchers do better in games they win. It's like, no kidding, a guy did better when he wins, or when he faces easier lineups.

Not trying to pick on you it's just this type of argument always grinds my gears.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersfan View Post
    After we lost Colby Lewis to injury we traded for Dempster to be our #4 starter, and after the season there was no way we wanted him back at any price. Aside from BAL his only good outings came against bottom-feeding teams like CLE, MIN, and KC and he got absolutely crushed by teams with decent offenses like LAA and NYY, so I don't get why BOS would sign him to be more than a 1-year stopgap in the #5 spot. 3 years and that much per for an old declining vet is a little strange.
    Well yes, pitchers tend to do better vs worst teams, and worst against better teams.. imagine that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    In other news, like all pitchers he is worse against tougher competition.

I'm not a huge fan of Dempster but I hate stats like this, or when people say pitchers do better in games they win. It's like, no kidding, a guy did better when he wins, or when he faces easier lineups.

Not trying to pick on you it's just this type of argument always grinds my gears.
    It's a little worse split than most pitchers. That's all

Here is how all of baseball did last year, just a snap-shot, K/BB

Dempster is a little more extreme, that's all.

Against teams under .500
    2.56 K/BB
    Vs teams over .500
    2.42 K/BB

As well, his ERA disparity is larger. It's not, oh my god significant. But it's there. And Dempster has yet to really face challenging competition consistently.

I see him as a league average starter who will pitch 200 innings.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 12-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.

vCash
    Ryan Dempster is a glorified and older Joe Blanton.

vCash
    solid 3-5 guy, hes stuff will struggle in the al east though i think

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    Its either gonna be a top 7 or a bottom 7 rotation.
    No way will they be top 7. Maybe top 17, at best.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Good luck with that Boston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Let me get this right...you like the Napoli and Victorino overpays but would not want a pitcher of Dempsters Status on a 13 Million a year deal? I don't get it the other two got over league avg money for production coming off down years and Dempster had one of the best 1st halfs of a pitcher in recent memory.
    yes because it's far more unlikely to see dempster repeat his 2012 first half than it is for napoli or victorino to do what they've done their entire career minus last season....

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Don't know how I feel about this. If they sign him to 3 year it's a colossal disaster waiting to happen. I like to see Tazawa starting again cuz he has 4 solid pitches that he commands really well. Depends on what the BP shapes up, I think this team could win 85+ games.
    You think your team is 17+ wins better this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iam brett favre View Post
    No way will they be top 7. Maybe top 17, at best.
    If every player pitches to their potential and does what they should, it will probably be mid top 10 in ERA . The Red Sox are pretty close to the yankees in starting pitching depth right now believe it or not. The yankees have Kuroda, Sabathia, Hughes, and Pettite (and Nova?). I'm not entirely sure Pettite will be very dominant again (is he even pitching next year?). The Red Sox have now 7 starting pitchers (Lester, Buccholz, Doubront, Dempster, Lackey, Morales, and De La Rosa) Morales probably goes to the bullpen and will be pretty good out of there. De La Rosa probably starts in AAA after Tommy John. Lester, Buccholz, Dempster, and Doubront at the very least are capable of a sub 4 ERA if they can pitch how people expect/hope them to. Lackey is a question mark. He could be very good, or be a 5+ ERA guy, noone really knows. Though to say as a full staff, statistically speaking it's impossible they are top 7, is false. It's possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmagnet View Post
    You think your team is 17+ wins better this year?
    with a full healthy outfield, a full healthy rotation, a full healthy team in general, much better character in the clubhouse, better coaching, and Darnell McDonald nowhere near our team it's plausible to believe that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast