Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Tannehill belongs with Luck & RG3

Dolphins rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill was not the No. 1 overall pick like Andrew Luck.

Tannehill did not win the Heisman Trophy or enter the NFL with the hype of Robert Griffin III.

Tannehill does not have the endorsement deals, commercials or name recognition of Luck or RG3. But six games into the season, it's time to put Tannehill in the same conversation with his rookie counterparts.

Tannehill won his third game of the season and second in a row Sunday. He led Miami to a gritty, 17-14 victory over the St. Louis Rams to get the Dolphins (3-3) back to .500 heading into their bye week.

It wasn't a pretty game, but it was another winning performance from the No. 8 overall pick in the draft. Tannehill stood tall, took some shots and kept fighting against a physical St. Louis defense -- the same group that battered Kevin Kolb with nine sacks a week ago. Tannehill was sacked twice and hit three additional times. But he answered with 185 passing yards and two key touchdowns. Tannehill's passer rating was 112.0.

But here's the rub: Tannehill now has more wins (three) as a rookie starter than Luck (two). RG3 won his third Sunday afternoon. Ultimately, victories are the best way to judge a quarterback, and Tannehill is quietly at the top of the first-round class with virtually no fanfare.

I asked Tannehill on Sunday night if he felt slighted at not being mentioned in the same sentence as Luck and RG3 so far this year.

"With wins, our team will get more recognition. That's all I care about," Tannehill responded. "We want to go out and get wins and string them together. Personal recognition doesn't even matter."

Tannehill's arm and poise are making Miami a dangerous team. The Dolphins won their second straight against an opponent who entered with a winning record, and they're doing it with a rookie quarterback who is getting better each week.

Perhaps what was most impressive Sunday is Tannehill, for the first time this season, led Miami to a win without a running game. Dolphins tailback Reggie Bush (12 carries, 17 yards) had by far his worst performance of the season, and Miami's defense uncharacteristically gave up 462 yards.

This was a game Tannehill had to win with his arm, because nothing else was clicking around him. He didn't panic. Tannehill completed 21 of 29 passes (72.4 percent), including a beautiful, 29-yard touchdown throw to receiver Marlon Moore. Tannehill's second touchdown pass to tight end Anthony Fasano gave Miami a 17-6 lead it never relinquished.

"He definitely plays as if he's a seven-year veteran in my mind -- maybe a 10-year vet," Moore said of Tannehill. "He's so calm and poised. He controls the offense and that's what he's here to do."

Scouts pegged Tannehill as talented but not NFL-ready. He had just 19 career starts in college. Few thought Tannehill could come in right away and adjust to the speed of the NFL game.

But Tannehill is proving a lot of doubters wrong and vindicating Miami's front office and coaching staff. For example, Luck was considered the most NFL-ready quarterback in this year's draft but has one more interception and one fewer victory than Tannehill.

"His growth from game to game has been incredible," Fasano said of Tannehill. "He has a very bright future."

This is just the beginning for Tannehill. As Tannehill gets better, so will the Dolphins. That's a scary thought considering Miami has been in every game but one this season.

The Dolphins enter the bye week at .500 and as one of the NFL's early surprises. Much of the credit can go to their young, under-the-radar quarterback. Tannehill is developing much faster than expected and opening up possibilities for Miami this year that most people didn't expect.

"I will say this: Our whole team is underrated," Moore said. "We're not in the spotlight or expected to do anything. So as long as we keep winning games, it doesn't matter what the outside says about us."

vCash
    Awesome read. He absolutely belongs in the conversation

The Future

vCash
    But that would mean all the analysts were wrong

vCash
    You gotta post the espn link you copied this from.
    But good read

vCash
    my man TheBigTuna Plagiarizing
    but good read, post the link

NO hunger Foul
    Highest scoring points
    regular season Champ
    2012 PSD Fantasy football Champion

No Hunger Foul
    2x Def-con1 Squad Champion(1000$ League)
    Highest scoring points
    2011 and 2012 Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krest213 View Post
    my man TheBigTuna Plagiarizing
    but good read, post the link
    Hhaha I thought it was his opinion then I read the quotes from players lol

really good article tho

vCash
    I have to admit, I was apprehensive about our teams future going foward when we drafted Tannehill. Considering he was a converted WR, and his led his college team to a measly mediocre record, i really didn't know what to expect from him or ultimately the Dolphins as a whole. I was one of those fans on the "suck for luck" bandwagon, but I see something special in Tannehill, and I will go out on a limb and say that Tannehill will have the better career than both Luck and RGIII. Lets see how far he takes us this season.

vCash
    i dont think any of them belong in the RG3 category who is leading ROTY race by a mile
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    i dont think any of them belong in the RG3 category who is leading ROTY race by a mile
    Tannehill almost sets the rookie single game passing record and you think he does not belong in the same category as RG3? Come on I know how much you love the guy but even you cannot deny what Tannehill has been doing?

vCash
    One question, if last draft you were picking for the Dolphins and you could pick between a rookie Dan Marino or RG3 who would you pick?

vCash
    Your crazy but can't expect anything less from you Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Grabmeone2 View Post
    One question, if last draft you were picking for the Dolphins and you could pick between a rookie Dan Marino or RG3 who would you pick?
    This is a very one sided question and unfair question... Are you a lawyer?? Or a politician for that matter?

I might as well ask, do you want Philbin or a first year Don Shula?

vCash
    You really have to give a QB 2-3 years before judging their value. Lot of QB's get exposed after their first season. Look how much Bradford and Newton have dropped after their first season. At this time last season people were acting like Newton was going to be a hall of fame QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
    I have to admit, I was apprehensive about our teams future going foward when we drafted Tannehill. Considering he was a converted WR, and his led his college team to a measly mediocre record, i really didn't know what to expect from him or ultimately the Dolphins as a whole. I was one of those fans on the "suck for luck" bandwagon, but I see something special in Tannehill, and I will go out on a limb and say that Tannehill will have the better career than both Luck and RGIII. Lets see how far he takes us this season.
    I really wish people would quit saying that Tannehill is a converted WR or a WR that was switched to QB. He is a QB, he was a QB, he played WR for what 2 years until he won the starting QB job. He is a QB that played WR not a WR that plays QB.

end rant

vCash
    He's number #1 against the blitz, and our no huddle offense is ranked number 1 too.

Damn straight he belongs w luck and rg3.

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

vCash
    i give credit where credit is due. i believe Tannehill has been the 2nd best rookie QB and has played exceptional so far

i dont think Newton has dropped off at all

i never thought Bradford would be good

i didnt have the luxury of seeing Marino play at Pitt i was born in 80 but if i knew what Marino was to become then Marino

i really like RG3 im not going to lie id still be tempted to take him
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 10-15-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Take Notes Rook

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast