Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by synister281 View Post
    I'm 100% on board the Theoyer rebuildathon train, but this move I just simply don't get.

He won't be ready to play until 2014, AND he will be 37 then. I'm just confused by this.
    So....who cares if he's 37 and doesn't work out?

It's $5m total, $2.5m per year, and likely, built with many incentives and not all guaranteed.

If it works out - great! cheap reliever.

If it doesn't...who cares?
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    the thing about it you have to understand is you are trying to look at him individually as a long term solution. What you are not thinking about is, that here's a guy from the Japan league who has a very unusual delivery, and will tend to do pretty well his first year here (2014). At that point, at the trade deadline the Cubs will trade him for a solid prospect. That's Lim Chang-Yong's nice little addition to our system, thank you Sir and enjoy retirement.

vCash
    Not every FA is a guy who will immediately be traded once its shown he is of value.

vCash
    Oh I agree, but in this case, due to his age. You can assume maybe 1 year? Possibly 1 and a half?

vCash
    If his age is such a detriment then who would give up anything of significance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    If his age is such a detriment then who would give up anything of significance?
    It won't be as detrimental at age 38 than it is at age 40. I don't even understand what the **** we are arguing about. I'm saying, if the Cubs appear to be contenders they will keep this guy for a couple years then he will retire maybe. If the Cubs aren't contenders in his first year then yes they will try to trade him at the deadline. What did you think I meant?

vCash
    Thought you were going with the once they find out he's good they will trade him stuff.

vCash
    John Arguello ‏@CubsDen
    I don't mean this to be a joke, but hearing that Chang-Yong Lim deal isn't done yet and not a sure thing either.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
    34m Brett Taylor ‏@BleacherNation
    @CubsDen Is it just a matter of a physical? Seems important for a guy coming off second TJS.
    Expand
    28m John Arguello ‏@CubsDen
    @BleacherNation No. Unfortunately not that simple. You can DM me.
    Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
    Sorry if the formatting sucks, just saw this on the twatter.

vCash
    http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-c...9&feedID=10336

Here's where he got the info. It would be a 2 year minor league deal.

vCash
    Gordon Wittenmyer:

FYI for those following Lim Chang-yon signing: Aging, rehabbing closer has split minors/majors deal. Gets paid the big $ if/when promoted.

Lim not on 40-man roster, by agreement, until Cubs consider him healthy/ready for shot.

Final Lim note: This is not a hangup or glitch in deal; it's the deal they struck.
    Bold, GDub.

vCash
    5mm over 2 yrs? Really? For a 36 year old pitcher?

I think they overpaid on this one.

Oh well, at least he is Asian. I think their bodies tend to hold up better over the long term. Less games played over in Japan etc. So let us hope for the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrownies View Post

Oh well, at least he is Asian. I think their bodies tend to hold up better over the long term. Less games played over in Japan etc. So let us hope for the best.
    Go look at what relievers are being paid. Also wait for the final details on the contract.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Thought you were going with the once they find out he's good they will trade him stuff.
    ofcourse not, but every player who is a Cub has to be seen as an asset. I don't mean to trade every damn player they have. It's just that the Theo and Jed Era has made me look at players differently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrownies View Post

It's "up to" 5MM and I don't think all the details are out yet. It's a split deal so he will probably just be on an expensive minor league contract this year unless he can latch on with the major league team by mid-season (which he's said he hopes to do but most reports don't expect him to appear until 2014). When you consider that most of the decent relief pitchers (and some who aren't even that great) are getting 3 year deals this off-season, it's not a bad signing at all.

vCash
    Not every FA is a guy who will immediately be traded once its shown he is of value.
    An older NPB relief pitcher would be a pretty ideal candidate for it, though.

It's certainly not unheard of for a Japanese/Korean player to come over here and have some success out the gate before eventually getting figured out by the league. A guy with a funky delivery and gimmick pitch has a better than usual chance of that happening, I'd imagine. Bullpen help is always in demand at the deadline, and his age means you don't lose any sleep over not keeping him around for the long haul.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast