Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    NPB Tracker data on the new pitcher. Kind of a fun velocity chart.

Some confirmation that it's a two-year deal:

Lim, 36, left for the U.S. Thursday to sign the two-year contract. He said the deal is a split contract worth up to US$5 million, with different salary rates for the time he spends in the majors compared to while he is in the minors.

"The Cubs expect to see me back on the field in 2014, rather than next year," Lim said. "Once the deal is signed, I will move to Arizona, where the Cubs operate a rehab center. My goal is to continue to rehab and get back on the mound by mid to late season next year."

Park Yoo-hyun, Lim's agent, said the Cubs have been the most "active" suitor of Lim since September and the team laid out detailed plans to help Lim's rehab. He also said other teams had offered more money than the Cubs, but the Chicago team said it would put a Korean interpreter and Lim's personal trainer on the payroll.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 12-13-2012 at 01:06 AM.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Are there any Americans left on this team?
    We need a few more John Smiths on our team.

I don't really get this. You sign a 36 year old just to watch him rehab for a year and hope you get something out of a 37 year old coming off of TJ, coming to MLB for the first time? Sounds ridiculous to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Nakajima owns a career .310/.381/.474 line in Japan with 319 BBs/609 Ks in 3576 PAs. 104 HRs, 13 3Bs, 180 2B, 514 RBIs, and 474 RS.

Coming off a .311/.381/.451 (567 PAs) season at age 29 with 29 2Bs, 13 HRs, 1 3B, 52 BB, 72 Ks...
    Wouldn't mind taking a shot on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    We need a few more John Smiths on our team.

I don't really get this. You sign a 36 year old just to watch him rehab for a year and hope you get something out of a 37 year old coming off of TJ, coming to MLB for the first time? Sounds ridiculous to me.
    There were 5 other teams interested in him and some of them were offering more money so obviously people see something in this guy. I really don't see how this signing could bother anybody. It's almost purely an upside signing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StrandedCub View Post
    There were 5 other teams interested in him and some of them were offering more money so obviously people see something in this guy. I really don't see how this signing could bother anybody. It's almost purely an upside signing.
    That is how I see it. Your looking at max $2.5M a year for this guy. Chump change when your talking about the Cubs payroll. If he doesn't pan out your not out anything though if he does you have him for relatively cheap.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    I am dying to see a 95 sidearmer with tail. I wanna see someone like Holliday falling to his knees flailing at that ish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I am dying to see a 95 sidearmer with tail. I wanna see someone like Holliday falling to his knees flailing at that ish.
    Impressive he can continue to throw such heat at 36. Good for him.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    MLB roster rules are crazy complicated, but it seems like he will have to take up a 40-man spot this offseason until the 60-day DL kicks in. That's at least a small annoyance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Impressive he can continue to throw such heat at 36. Good for him.
    It seems like those velocity reports are outdated. The link earlier showing velocity charts has him steadily declining for the last few years and down to 88 MPH last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    It seems like those velocity reports are outdated. The link earlier showing velocity charts has him steadily declining for the last few years and down to 88 MPH last season.
    Well, that makes more sense, but that still isn't terrible for a side-armer.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    MLB roster rules are crazy complicated, but it seems like he will have to take up a 40-man spot this offseason until the 60-day DL kicks in. That's at least a small annoyance.
    Shouldn't the split deal cover that since it's a minor league deal at first? If I understand it, correctly...

vCash
    Another reclamation arm project, only this time it's Gangnam style.

I'm stoked! Gonna have me some kimchi tonight.

Gotta love the McCaskeys, er Ricketts.
    There are two factions of Cubs fans. Ones that live it, and ones that only visit it. The former are incredulous, while the latter are the problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StrandedCub View Post
    I'm tired of hearing this ****. Signing every flawed, below average/average baseball player across the planet for a decent deal is not a good thing. We should quit wasting money on players like this, and sign someone of consequence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BUD Bleachers View Post
    Another reclamation arm project, only this time it's Gangnam style.

I'm stoked! Gonna have me some kimchi tonight.

Gotta love the McCaskeys, er Ricketts.

Racism!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terencem View Post
    Shouldn't the split deal cover that since it's a minor league deal at first? If I understand it, correctly...
    If I'm reading the rules posted correctly on TCR, split deals are classified as "major league contracts."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast