Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cubs Close to Signing Lim Chang-Yong?

Right handed reliever Lim Chang-Yong, who most recently played for the Yakult Swallows of the Japanese League is expected to sign with the Chicago Cubs.

The 36-year old probably won't be a long-term solution to the struggling Cubs, but he does provide experience to their bullpen.

Lim has over 100 wins and almost 300-saves combined in the Korean and Japanese Leagues and was a pivotal part of Korea's silver medal team at the 2009 World Baseball Classic.

He was the 6th highest paid player in Japan last year earning $450,000.
    http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...Ne2&category=2

vCash
    Some more info regarding him via wikipedia:

He is widely known as the fastest sidearm pitcher in baseball history who can throw a 160 km/h (99.4 mph) four-seam fastball, though the pitch usually sits at 93-95 mph (150-153 kph).[1] His signature pitch is his two-seam fastball which, due to its unique tailing movement has earned its nickname "Serpent fastball(Hangul: 뱀직구)". His other pitches include a high 70s slider with a sharp horizontal break, a mid 80s forkball, and a rarely used 60 mph (97 km/h) slow-curveball. He is one of the few pitchers who can pitch in multiple pitching forms. Lim pitches primarily sidearm and underhand, but does pitch from the three-quarters motion at will.

vCash
    So the Cubs signed the Japan version of John Smoltz, but at age 36? I don't know, Smoltz was the first name I thought of while reading this. Not sidearm though.
    Last edited by Diehdcubsfan2; 12-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gb0an-95Jc

Seems interesting. Was hoping he was a CFer when I saw the title..

vCash
    Serpent fastball? I love crazy nickname Asian pitches.

vCash
    His delivery should make him deceptive enough to be useful. At least, I hope it does.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    Looks like he's coming off of TJ.

vCash
    Velocity and movement look good in that video, plus you can get a year of extra usefulness out of the funky delivery hopefully.

I'm intrigued.

vCash
    May never fill the same role, but after watching some video I thought of Marmol.

vCash
    The Cubs once again reached out to try and bring in talent from wherever they can find it. The Cubs are close to signing 36 year old Korean RHP Chang-yong Lim, pending a physical. They outbid 4 teams to land Lim. Thosse teams are the Detroit Tigers, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, and Texas Rangers.

Lim is expected to sign a split major/minor league contract with an eye toward 2014, since he just had Tommy John surgery.

Lim is a relief pitcher and like Fujikawa sees a potential opening in the back end of the Cubs bullpen, with the team likely to part ways with Marmol between now and next seson.
    http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2...hang-yong-lim/
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    if 40 man roster is at 40 without Schierholtz and Stewart (from what I read Sandy Rosario counts on the 40 man), what 3 guys are they gonna move? will be interesting...
    I do like our bullpen options...but we still only have one lefty right?

edit - reading the last post, if it's a minor league contract then i assume we don't have to free up a spot on the 40 man. but that still leaves 2 men out.

vCash
    Yeah we certainly have a rather large 40 man crunch right now. With Lim I believe that's 4 spots that have to opened now.

vCash
    Why not?

And...here...we...go...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehdcubsfan2 View Post
    So the Cubs signed the Japan version of John Smoltz, but at age 36? I don't know, Smoltz was the first name I thought of while reading this. Not sidearm though.
    He might have played in Japan, but he is Korean. My best friend from gradeschool was Korean. And his name and the symbols in that youtube video are Korean.

vCash
    On another note, I really like what they're doing with the pen. Lim, Sandy, Kyuji and Rondon all have big arms and strong stuff. All but Kyuji require very little monetary investment and the past has shown that GMs give up really nice packages for relievers. It's a nice low risk way to stock up the farm.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast