Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why does Amaro refuse to spend on offense?

This has been bothering for a few years. All of RAJ recent big signings have all been pitchers. I know he wants to build around pitching however what good is pitching when you score 2 runs a game. This team has proven over the last 3 years that they are lacking on the offensive end yet Amaro has done nothing to improve the offense except add low cost players. The year the Phillies won the World Series they won with offense yet they refuse to spend money on a legit offensive player. Please help me understand this train of thought.

vCash
    look at Ryan Howard's contract and then tell me Amaro refuses to spend on offense.

vCash
    that was 3 yrs ago, what has he spent recently?

vCash
    Who did you want him to spend the money on? He went out and got Pence when we needed a bat and he thought Dom Brown was gonna be able to come up and be solid

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    Who did you want him to spend the money on? He went out and got Pence when we needed a bat and he thought Dom Brown was gonna be able to come up and be solid
    Werth-Before letting him hit free agency
    Dunn-not Howard
    Beltre-not Polly

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Dunn-not Howard
    Beltre-not Polly
    Dunn....really

why because he hit 41 HR last year? he hit .204 and struck out 222 times.

i'll agree with you on Beltre, though. he's legit.

but Dunn....that's pretty laughable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Dunn-not Howard
    Beltre-not Polly
    Dunn is basically an older white version of Howard with a god awful batting average how is that an upgrade? He strikes out more than Howard probably and that is saying something. They really did miss on Beltre though. Guy's a monster in Texas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Dunn....really

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    Dunn is basically an older white version of Howard with a god awful batting average how is that an upgrade? He strikes out more than Howard probably and that is saying something. They really did miss on Beltre though. Guy's a monster in Texas.
    I guess neither of you looked at the fact that he signed a 4 year 56 million dollar deal? ..He has what 2 years left and like 25 mill? That is why I would have signed dunn because he was a similar player to howard but cost less then half as much as Howard. We could have ate the rest of his contract and signed someone else or traded for someone else.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 12-13-2012 at 03:45 AM.

vCash
    Also not signing Beltran at what the damn cards gave him or even more hell...We were all screaming for that if I remember correctly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Dunn....really

Howard hit 219 and was on pace to strikeout just as much or maybe more....Oh yea and he makes 20 plus mill a year. Dunn 4 years 56 mill

vCash
    Ruben spends money where there is a combination of available talent and internal need. It's unfair to critique the Polanco signing because that deal was a steal.

Prior to this season, there have been few offensive holes for him to fill. He's paid out the nose for Howard, Ibanez, Pence (via trade) and bench bats. But he's also done well to sign Polanco and Rollins to well below market contracts and acquire a couple upside guys like Revere and Young at controlled costs.
    Last edited by The A Team; 12-13-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    More than most has a point. Dunn is significantly cheaper while creating the same production. I've said this numerous times to my friends. Also, PLEASE fact check before you throw info out there. Ryan Dunn and Howard are both 33...dunn is 10 days older...they also have similar strikeout rates....so it's not PROBABLY. Dunn has also had a similar War as Howard...he is basically Howard but 10-15 mill cheaper.

vCash
    I have a proposal. Can we just pretend that howard doesn't exist?
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Oh Jesus... I thought Dunn vs. Howarddied years ago. Somebody put a stake through its heart please.
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    I think it goes without saying that Howard is overpaid here, and it's been revisited over and over again. But in the grand scheme of things, what is Howard's contract actually preventing us from doing? There hasn't been an available 1st baseman that we wouldn't be paying out the ***** for (minus Dunn) since Howard singed his extension. Pujols and Fielder's contracts are going to look significantly worse on the backend of those deals. People act like his contract is handicapping this team in some significant way, which it isn't.

The only other legitimate gripe I can slightly agree on is Howard's contract made Singleton a trade chip. Singleton has yet to make it to the majors, and realistically won't for another year or more though.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast