14 66.67%
  • nope

7 33.33%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    GKMC>LIG dealwithit.zip

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I do think Kendrick will go down as an all time great. He already has 2 phenomenal albums (the latest being a classic IMO) under his belt and a bunch of amazing features on other artists' tracks.

Guys like Jay-Z and Eminem might still be putting out music, but there recent work is nothing compared to what Kendrick's been doing over the same span. I don't think any rapper the past couple of years has been on Kendrick's level. There are a ton of guys that have made better albums in their careers, but none that I see still performing to that level. And no new rapper is on Kendrick's level IMO.
    Jay-Z and Eminem definitely aren't the kind of guys I would have mentioned. I was thinking more along the lines of an El-P. His work as an emcee on Cancer 4 Cure is very easily in the same league or possibly even better than Kendrick's work on GKMC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I wouldn't put El-P in the the same class as Kendrick Lamar (when it comes to vocal chops)
    i'm guessing this goes without saying, but I couldn't disagree more. They have a similar level a technical proficiency, and El-P is a better writer.

and there are a lot of guys that i would put in the same contemporary peer group as El-P and Kendrick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ooh Child View Post
    Jay-Z and Eminem definitely aren't the kind of guys I would have mentioned. I was thinking more along the lines of an El-P. His work as an emcee on Cancer 4 Cure is very easily in the same league or possibly even better than Kendrick's work on GKMC.
    I'll have to check that out.

But even if the album is just as good as GKMC, what about Section.80 and all the features Kendrick has killed recently? It's not just about 1 album. Kendrick is putting out great albums, killing features, and putting out hardly any whack work. There's no one in the game right now that can match his consistency, quality, appeal, and volume of work over the past couple of years IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I'll have to check that out.

But even if the album is just as good as GKMC, what about Section.80 and all the features Kendrick has killed recently? It's not just about 1 album. Kendrick is putting out great albums, killing features, and putting out hardly any whack work. There's no one in the game right now that can match his consistency, quality, appeal, and volume of work over the past couple of years IMO.
    i agree with you to some degree, but you're changing the topic. the frequency in which he is releasing music doesn't change the fact that there are other rappers out there that are releasing great music and exhibiting a similarly great level of lyricism. using "kendrick has two albums over the last two years, but el-p only has one" as a rebuttal to the original topic isn't very impactful for me.

i am completely fine with you saying that you think Kendrick is the best out there. it just bothers me when other people tack on that it isn't even close. it is ridiculous to me to regard every other rapper out there as an afterthought. i have a strong appreciation for kendrick's music, but there are a lot of people who are idolizing him, and i find that repugnant. (just to be clear, not trying to say you're guilty of that)

vCash
    I think we just misunderstood what the other was arguing. Obviously there are other great lyricists on Kendrick's level. But I was talking about him as an overall artist. For me, that includes more than just ability. It includes all the things I mentioned - how many songs, how many different audiences he can relate to, consistency, etc. In that regard, I don't think there is a rapper close to Kendrick's level over the past 2 years or so. There are others that can match his ability, but they can't match his overall portfolio as an artist over that span IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harden's Beard View Post
    probably no use arguing with you, or even responding to this but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnqTHcG8bhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqAqvfj17Xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMfjqAClVpQ

pretty sure either you will say youve heard these tracks before, or that kendrick is magically leaps and bounds better than hopsin

but again, there is no point arguing this. only think hop is lacking is a mentor to help mold him, and some better work on his hooks

its absolutely idiotic to say Hop isnt in kendricks class, unless your just a blind hater

No.. it's not.

Hopsin is ****ing horrible. He has horribly placed rhymes. He's corny. Oh, and he doesn't have a following that buys his records! Bum!

vCash
    why is getting killed on money trees a bad thing?

vCash
    the mere fact this album is considered a classic by some astounds me

maybe its their first time hearing real music?

maybe if collect calls and black boy fly were higher, and poetic justice and now or never didnt exist, i would rank it higher and atleast give it consideration

but i consider this album not only not a classic, but a dissapointment in that Snoop,Eminem, 50 and Game's first albums were classics, and kendrick has let the powerhouse that is aftermath down by not having a classic in his first effort
    well thats you're opinion im 100% sure he didn't let aftermath down since they probably believed it was a classic and he sold 250k units in his first week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    why is getting killed on money trees a bad thing?
    It's not. Because Jay Rock had one of the best verses of the year. Every rapper would've probably been beat by his verse.

Let's mention Kendrick completely obliterating Game on his album just a mere year ago. Oh, and on Jesus Piece, too.

This Harden's Beard guy uses the lamest reasonings when they fit his argument. But when that same argument works against him, he somehow manages to come up with something else completely ridiculous.. Let's look at this.

- He says he gave Summer on Smash a 4/5 despite having terrible verses and vocals.. He says the beat saves it. Yet, he can't listen to four minutes of an instrumental on Kanye's album. Oh, and Summer on Smash is five minutes long.

- He claims Game is the king because of his following. Yet disregards Lil Wayne and doesn't give him any credit.. despite having possibly the biggest following in Hip-Hop today. If Game is the king of the West Coast, Lil Wayne is the king of Hip-Hop in his argument. But it doesn't work in his favor. So he doesn't mention that.

This guy is a complete joke. His pure narcissism is astounding, as he can create threads on Game and T.I., but call Pusha T too mainstream and wonder if hearing good kid, mAAd city is the first time people have heard "good" music.

Oh, and Hopsin is cool.... but he doesn't feel Mos Def. Was good kid, mAAd city YOUR first time hearing good music?

Someone needs to rethink their arguments before posting them and find a different way to critique Hip-Hop that remains consistent.

vCash
    Letting down Aftermath
    Aftermath bodied itself thinking Dre would drop a Dretox.

vCash
    probably no use arguing with you, or even responding to this but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnqTHcG8bhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqAqvfj17Xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMfjqAClVpQ

pretty sure either you will say youve heard these tracks before, or that kendrick is magically leaps and bounds better than hopsin

but again, there is no point arguing this. only think hop is lacking is a mentor to help mold him, and some better work on his hooks

its absolutely idiotic to say Hop isnt in kendricks class, unless your just a blind hater
    That can't be a serious thing you believe, right?

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash

Is GKMC the West Coast Illmatic? The overhyping of kendrick lamar needs to stop

Kendrick's definitely overrated, at least by the people i talk to(they put him up with pac and nas), but hes good. Very good. Especially considering what hip hop has become. Is the album overrated? Maybe, depends on who's opinions you're listening to, but its a good album. But certainly not illmatic good.

And about the kanye argument hes top 10 all time in my opinion, as a rapper and producer, and if you didnt think MBDTF was a great album well your loss. Kanye before he started collaborating with jay z was easily the best out.

vCash
    Hopson is to wacky for my taste..wanna be eminem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    Harden's Beard, your boy Game declared him the "King of the West Coast" awhile back.

You disagree with Game?
    Yes.

The West Coast/Cali juggernauts passed the torch to Kendrick. I like Kendrick. I've been listening to him before he made it big, and I've gone to a couple concerts of his but being dubbed the "king" of the west coast isn't saying much. Especially if Game is passing him the torch because Game was never deserving of it, IMHO, even though The Documentary was a solid album. He [Game] had great commercial success but that doesn't mean he was the best Cali artist. I would've taken Crooked and the forementioned Jay Rock over him... Just my opinion.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast