Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GPS/Range Finders

My wife let it slip that she is going to get me a Garmin Approach G5 for Christmas (kudos to her for thinking of it 100% on her own!). From what I have read, it features a touch screen, it is waterproof, it has updated course maps that include distances to bunkers, trees, water hazards, etc... It sounds like, with this thing, I am going to one less excuse for poor play on the course...lol

I have used the free apps on my phone which have left a great deal to be desired. I have also used the LaserLink Red Hot handheld...which also left a lot to be desired (too easy to lock onto a tree behind a green or get blocked by a hill). I haven't found one that I am 100% confident with...

Has anyone used the Garmin G5 on the course? Pros, Cons...what do you like about it...what are it's shortcomings? How is the battery life?

Rangefinder's more accurate. GPS is better if you're hungover, shaky hands.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Rangefinder is great and more accurate if they have the reflectors on the top of the sticks if not you can miss quite a bit.

I think GPS is better for players 15 and above handicap wise. For instance i'm a 17 and yea use a range finder when I play with a few buddies (they own them) but i'm better with GPS knowing not exact yardage to pin but how much room around the pin I have. If you are 125 and more out and you are a mid to higher handicap you shouldn't be focusing on the pin but focus on hitting the green.

I finished my traveling Sunday league with an 8 handicap...but I hate the rangefinders that I have used, and not too many of the courses I play in NE Ohio have the reflectors at the top of the flag.

I enjoy playing new courses quite a bit, last year we played probably 6-8 new courses in the area...that is more what I am looking for is having an advantage on those types of courses. I have the courses that I play frequently pretty well figured out, it is the new ones or the ones that I only play once or twice a year that I am looking to have better info on.