Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    He certainly would be an upgrade, but I'd still have to hold my nose if he signs. There's a reason nearly all the available pitchers left on the free agent market are pitch-to-contact types. Every other team is actively trying to transform their rotations with strikeout pitchers while the Twins are being left in the dust.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    He certainly would be an upgrade, but I'd still have to hold my nose if he signs. There's a reason nearly all the available pitchers left on the free agent market are pitch-to-contact types. Every other team is actively trying to transform their rotations with strikeout pitchers while the Twins are being left in the dust.
    It could also have to do with demands on money or term in Saunders case. He finished off the year strong with the O's and he may think he's now worth more than teams believe. Saunders would certainly be the most accomplished starter on our staff if signed.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    I want it done i think in our rotation he could be maybe number 2?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Plus he's just more of the same. A low K/9 pitch-to-contact guy. He's far from consistant. The 2011-2012 Lohse was good while the 2009-2010 Lohse was awful. No thanks.

Regardless, Viks must clearly not have read the Mackey article that was linked. The one titled, "Twins Done Making Significant Moves"
    I didn't read the article sorry, but why do you not want him just cause of 2009-2010 season? when he was much better in 2011-2012? the guy deserves a second chance in Minnesota and i think we should give it too him yes we give up a draft pick but somebody has to pull the trigger!

vCash
    I don't want him because he's expensive, will cost the Twins a draft pick and is just another in a long line of Twins pitchers who needs his defense to get 80% of his outs. The Twins need to finally start to target strikeout pitchers just like the rest of the league is doing. This isn't 1980's baseball anymore, you don't win a World Series without a stable of strikeout artists. It's simple, if you don't let the batter put the ball in play you don't have to worry about seeing-eye-singels, Texas League bloopers, errors, sac flies or any other scenario which results from the pitcher not being able to put the ball in the catchers mitt.

vCash
    I understand what your saying but come on there really isnt any strikeout pitchers left lohse is good and no one is talking to him cause there scared of losing a draft pick which i think i can see we can afford to lose with all these prospects we've recently acquired we have spent barely any money which we could use on lohse.

vCash
    Sign Saunders to a reasonable 2 year deal! If we stay in the race we hold on to him if not and he is pitching well we can move him for a decent prospect. Win/Win. (As long as he pitches well)

vCash
    Not a bad idea.

vCash
    I'm guessing Saunders would have signed by now if he was happy with a two year deal. Based on free agency tendancies, I'm guessing he'd prefer to stay in Baltimore where he had success and they were competitve. They likely aren't yet offering what he wants. I would guess they'd be willing to offer a two year deal, likely the same as the Twins. Using that logic, I would think the Twins would need to offer a three year deal to top the Orioles.

vCash
    Does anyone want brad penny? or roy oswalt, or johnathon sanchez?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viksalltheway! View Post
    Does anyone want brad penny? or roy oswalt, or johnathon sanchez?
    Strangely enough, I wouldnt mind kicking the tires on Sanchez. I actually would rather have him than Correia. The downside could be worse, but Sanchez has significantly higher upside. Worst case scenario would be that Sanchez is aweful and we have as many losses as last season. Best Case scenario for Correia is he gives us 180 ip with a sub 4.2 era.

I may be living in the past, but I think we should try signing Brandon Inge, Kelly Johnson and Scott Podsednik. All 3 could be upgrades over what we have right now, and at worst could provide part time roles for a inexpensive price. An IF of Morneau, Johnson, Dozier/Carrol and Inge would be alot better defensively then Plouffe and Florimon or Escobar. Podsednik could give us a stopgap in CF or at the very least provide a decent backup for Mastroianni.

Assuming we sign Saunders, we could begin the season with:

1. Worley
    2. Saunders
    3. Diamond
    4. Correia
    5. Hendricks/Deduno/Pelfrey-until Gibson is ready to roll

1. Podsednik
    2. Johnson
    3. Mauer
    4. Willingham
    5. Morneau
    6. Doumit
    7. Parmalee
    8. Dozier
    9. Inge

Bench: Plouffe, Florimon, Carrol, Butera

Then if/when Hicks, Arcia, May, Meyer are ready, we can look to trade Willingham

vCash
    An old "friend", Kevin Slowey, signed a minor league deal with the Marlins (with an invite).

vCash
    It appears Saunders is holding firm on a 3-year deal. Would it benefit the Twins to sign him to such a deal? In 3 years, Worley, Luke Bard, Liam Hendriks, Gibson and Diamond will likely make up the rotation. Where does Saunders fit with those 5 guys?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    It appears Saunders is holding firm on a 3-year deal. Would it benefit the Twins to sign him to such a deal? In 3 years, Worley, Luke Bard, Liam Hendriks, Gibson and Diamond will likely make up the rotation. Where does Saunders fit with those 5 guys?
    I would give him 3 years 21 mil tops. Theres too many questions about all of the guys listed above not to at least have someone who you know can give you innings. Can Diamond repeat his production (I have doubts given his style/stuff)? Can Worley at least be in between what he was the last 2 seasons in the AL? Is Hendricks going to figure it out? So far he hasnt done much to have much hope. Both Meyer and May are high upside guys, but both have issues that give pause.

Building an entire rotation around low upside innings eaters isnt smart, but having 1 or 2 that are reliable will keep your rotation alive when, not if, injuries occur.

I imagine if we sign Saunders, our rotation would look like:

2013- Worley, Diamond, Saunders, Correia, Hendricks (short leash)/Gibson (150 ip limit)/Pelfrey
    2014- Worley, Diamond, Saunders, Gibson, May-Meyer can get time in AAA and hopefully come up midseason
    2015- Meyer, May, Gibson, Worley, Saunders- Hopefully by this time, Berrios, Bard, #4 pick in 2013 draft are knocking on the door and we will have a bunch of options.

I can tell you this: I'd rather have too many pitchers to fit in a rotation, then have to send emberrassments to the mound 3 out of every 5 games.

vCash
    I don't disagree with your assessment.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast