Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Couple things from Doogie, via twitter, summed up in my words, not his.

Twins have checked in about Brent Lillibridge, and Yuniesky Betancourt, to be utility IF...today, Doogie says to count the Twins out for Lillibridge, but that utility IF is still a high priority.

vCash
    Lillibridge could be a good add, but at what price? Betancourt would do the same at a lower cost, I'm sure.

vCash
    In an interview with ESPN's Phil Mackey, Ryan confirmed that the Twins were done making significant moves. So we can probably stop asking for Shawn Marcum, or really anybody else.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/N...ffseason010813

Also of note, Ryan says they "fortified the pitching staff." Wow. I thought it was a typo, I figured he meant they "forfeited" the pitching staff. Several things to consider, while the Twins did add some arms to the rotation, Pelfry is unlikely to be available to start the year and Harden is a crap shoot. No doubt Worley is an upgrade if he has no arm troubles, but Correia isn't an upgrade to anything other than Nick Blackburn.

The puzzling thing is, in an interview several months ago, Ryan said the bullpen was the second highest priority this offseason. I couldn't have disagreed more with that statement as I felt the rotation issues should have been the top 4 areas of concern followed by the middle infield and then the defense. Though Ryan believed the bullpen was an issue, he did nothing but pick a Rule V arm and sign a couple of minor league deals, yet he says the staff is now "fortified". Something doesn't mesh.

One other glaringly troubling aspect of the interview was when Ryan said the Twins "have enough defense".

Really? The defense is absolutely brutal. The corner outfielders are not very good, Plouffe is awful at 3B, the middle infield is eratic, Morneau isn't nearly as quick as he used to be and Mauer has stopped being effective at throwing runners out. The fact that Ryan doesn't understand this, AND intentionally signs pitchers who will let 80% of the batters put the ball in play tells me he is too far out of touch.

vCash
    I think we should get Lohse, Even if he and Gardi don't see eye to eye we could use him and I'm pretty sure they could smooth things over come on twins!

vCash
    Lohse would cost the Twins a #2 draft pick in next season's draft. Unless they were to sign Lohse to a 3 year contract, it would not be worth it, IMO.

vCash
    Plus he's just more of the same. A low K/9 pitch-to-contact guy. He's far from consistant. The 2011-2012 Lohse was good while the 2009-2010 Lohse was awful. No thanks.

Regardless, Viks must clearly not have read the Mackey article that was linked. The one titled, "Twins Done Making Significant Moves"

vCash
    As much as it sucks that the Twins are "done" making moves I can't say I'm surprised and I'd find it hard to believe anyone else is. The twins traded away their outfield this off-season for minor league arms who need seasoning. They acquired 1 young MLB ready pitcher in Worley and made 2 other very suspect SP signings. Terry Ryan can say the twins want to be competitive all he wants, but the reality is we are playing for 2014 and beyond. This season is a chance to see what we've got in some younger players like Parmalee, plouffe, dozier, florimon, Gibson, and then maybe hicks/arcia/benson. Then probably trade the older roster players like morneau, willingham, and anyone else with value who doesn't fit in to our long term plans. It sucks but it's the route we have to take. We **** the bed drafting too many years in a row in terms of impact players and now we are paying for it.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    I want to sign Jair Jurrjens!

vCash
    Jurrjens would be interesting, but I don't see him as a good fit for the team right now. He doesn't miss enough bats to suit me. He needs a consistant defense behind him to be successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Jurrjens would be interesting, but I don't see him as a good fit for the team right now. He doesn't miss enough bats to suit me. He needs a consistant defense behind him to be successful.
    I agree that we would "like" guys that miss bats - as would ALL the other teams and I to think Jurrgens would be worth the risk depending on asking price as I am sure that is why he hasn't signed. He has a lights our year a couple of years ago and is trying to use that as leverage-as would I.

With our current low risk - high reward pitching staff he seems to fit right in. I think if we are looking for 4 to come through we need 6 or 7 options - keep signing them and pray!

vCash
    You have to remember though the twins are planning there rotation while keeping in mind alex myer, Trevor may, and Kyle Gibson who should all be middle to top of the rotation guys in the next 2-3 years and very cheap. Jurjens will cost money and a few years of commitment.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    I really don't think Jurrjens will get more than a one year deal. Everyone seems pretty worried about his arm. At best he'll get a Pelfrey-like contract but if he has legit arm issues, he might not even get a major league deal.

Still, like Catman, I don't think the Twins need more of these defense-reliant pitchers. Yes, all teams want strikeout arms, but it's not like other teams are also struggling to find them. The Twins were last in K/9 last year by nearly a full strikeout per game and they're only getting worse by replacing Liriano with Correia and Pelfrey. The Twins will certainly be last in K/9 again in 2013 and it is possible that the 29th worst team will have a K/9 closer to the league leader than they will to the Twins who will be at 30th.

vCash
    Yeah but at least finally they have realized that power arms are a need and they've started drafting them despite our contradictory approach in FA for the big league team. I was personally hoping we would sign macarthy, but i think at this point if we don't get Saunders we'll be done going after pitchers unless something falls in our lap. I'd still like to see us address middle infield which was as much of an eye sore as pitching last season.

vCash
    The report on the star tribune today is that the twins are actively pursuing Joe Saunders. Although I think Saunders is over rated he would certainly boost our staff.

Diamond
    Worley
    Saunders
    Corriea
    Pelfrey
    Gibson

vCash
    That would let Gibson get a few innings in Rochester before he comes up. Or, it would allow both Gibson and Pelfrey to share the #5 spot in the rotation. Each would get 4 starts a month or so.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast