Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Hi guys! Non Hockey Fan here....

I was just looking out at the NHL lockout from afar, and couldn't help but wonder what specific issues were holding up the Players Union and the NHL?

With all due respect, hockey may be a popular sport in some areas and growing significantly over time, but its still behind Football, Basketball, and Baseball. Its not like the Sport can afford to lose popularity by a cancelled season.

The Lockout thread has 47 pages, and nearly 700 replies. I don't want to go through all that.. Please mods.... I beg you move this thread after 1-2 pages. I want to know the *latest* update.. Keep it open even for just 1 day...

I just want to know the cold hard facts..... What the **** is holding up this process?? Any Die Hards keeping track?

vCash
    The issue for the owners are desires to reduce the players' guaranteed share of 57% of hockey related revenues (HRR), introduce term limits on contracts, eliminate salary arbitration, and change free agency rules. The union's initial offers focused on increased revenue sharing between owners and a fixed salary cap that is not linked to league revenues.

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    The owners identified their key issues in their first offer, presented on July 13, 2012. Their offer retained the framework established following the 2004–05 NHL lockout but made numerous changes to player salary and movement rights. Particularly:[9]

-Reduce the players' share of hockey-related revenues from 57 percent to 46 percent. --Proposed modifications to HRR itself would actually reduce the players' share to 43 percent as defined by the expired CBA.
    -Set a maximum term of five years on all new players' contracts.
    -Eliminate signing bonuses and set a uniform salary for each year of a contract, thus eliminating "front-loading" of contracts.
    -Extend entry level contracts for players entering the league from three years to five.
    -Extend qualification for unrestricted free agency from seven years in the league to ten.

The players' union waited a month to offer a counter-proposal as it requested additional financial data from the league. When the union proposed it on August 14, it retained a salary cap, but de-linked it from revenue. It proposed a fixed cap for three years, followed by a players' option to return to the terms of the expired CBA in the fourth year. Fehr suggested their proposal could save the league as much as $465 million and would feature an enhanced revenue sharing system that would help lower revenue teams

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    thats what i found on it anyways..................in my own words n such ..... the nhl and nhlpa are being a bunch of greedy bastards who want more money and are too stubborn meet in the middle.

vCash
    The main issue is that both sides generally suck monkey balls.

I think that sums it up.