Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Yankees sign Ichiro

Rosenthall

vCash
    hooray!
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Figured they would

vCash
    This was inevitable

vCash
    To the surprise of absolutely no one...

vCash
    If they blew this I woulda...

Good move, Yanks.

vCash
    anyone know how much?

vCash
    Good. I think it needed to happen. He may not be the Ichiro from 5-10 years ago, but still expecting solid production.

Also gives us base stealing threat, which outside of Gardner, we didn't have. And he was injured.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    76-74

G: 134 | AVG: .249| HR: 3| RBI: 40| OBP: .298 | SLG: .297 | wOBA: .270 | wRC: 67

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees90. View Post
    Good. I think it needed to happen. He may not be the Ichiro from 5-10 years ago, but still expecting solid production.

Also gives us base stealing threat, which outside of Gardner, we didn't have. And he was injured.
    Finally, some speed on the bases.

vCash

This doesn’t make sense at all. I won't be thrilled if he's receiving 2 years at the rumored range of $12-14 million. Ichiro is an exciting player and would make for a phenomenal 4th outfielder/pinch runner type for us but 2 years and at that salary range? And for a 39 year old who is reliant on the running game for the majority of his production? Plus we already have 2 lefty hitting starting outfielders already in Granderson and Gardner. Can’t say I’m ecstatic about this unless it’s for a VERY low base salary each season…but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

If his salary approaches anything near what Martin’s new contract pays him I will be very upset. I thought it was mostly the second year that caused the Yankees to hesitate on signing Martin but they’ll be giving Ichiro that second year for just about the same salary…it just doesn’t make sense to me unless he will be getting paid substantially less than what Martin is. Martin provides more offense for a lineup that figures to have a drop-off in production next season and is in his prime so he is more of a sure thing. Plus he's one of the best pitch framers in the entire sport and is a great clubhouse guy by all accounts. Just look at the barren catcher's market right now. It's either sign overpriced garbage or give up very valuable assets in a trade since good catchers are few and far between nowadays. According to the salary rumors, the contracts will pretty much be a wash so I feel like the Yankees made a bad decision by spending their resources on Ichiro instead of Martin.
    Last edited by x McLovin x; 12-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post

This doesn’t make sense at all. I won't be thrilled if he's receiving 2 years at the rumored range of $12-14 million. Ichiro is an exciting player and would make for a phenomenal 4th outfielder/pinch runner type for us but 2 years and at that salary range? And for a 39 year old who is reliant on the running game for the majority of his production? Plus we already have 2 lefty hitting starting outfielders already in Granderson and Gardner. Can’t say I’m ecstatic about this unless it’s for a VERY low base salary each season…but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

If his salary approaches anything near what Martin’s new contract pays him I will be very upset. I thought it was mostly the second year that caused the Yankees to hesitate on signing Martin but they’ll be giving Ichiro that second year for just about the same salary…it just doesn’t make sense to me unless he will be getting paid substantially less than what Martin is. Martin provides more offense for a lineup that figures to have a drop-off in production next season and in in his prime so he is more of a sure thing. Plus he's one of the best pitch framers in the entire sport. Just look at the barren catcher's market right now. It's either sign garbage or give up valuable assets in a trade since good catchers are pretty rare nowadays. According to the salary rumors, the contracts will pretty much be a wash so I feel like the Yankees made a bad decision by spending their resources on Ichiro instead of Martin.
    Im sorry but did you actually watch the Yankees last year? If you did then you werent paying attention. Martin was god awful at the plate last season. Yea he picked it up a LITTLE bit towards the end but for the most part he gave you absolutely zilch.

Now as for Ichiro he still plays a damn fine CF/RF/LF which is great because you know you can stick him in anywhere and hell do his job. As for his hitting, after he came over here he was phenomenal. He hit for average, in the 330's i believe, he gave you some HR's thanks to that short porch, he stole bases (actually he changed some games with his base stealing aggressiveness), and he came up big in big situations down the stretch.

So yea Im totally for giving him the contract and not Martin, especially when we have a chance to sign AJ Pierzynski (which would be a 1 year deal if it happened) who had a significantly better year than Martin did behind the plate and in the batters box.

Im sorry I truly dont see where you are coming from with your assessment at all.

New York Jets: 1-0
    Quote Originally Posted by CousinsEvansDUO View Post
    It's not aboutwhether you actually make the shots its about how close you are to making them.

As of 9/13/14

vCash
    They need to address the Ibanez situation next!!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by onlythisfar41 View Post
    Im sorry but did you actually watch the Yankees last year? If you did then you werent paying attention. Martin was god awful at the plate last season. Yea he picked it up a LITTLE bit towards the end but for the most part he gave you absolutely zilch.

Now as for Ichiro he still plays a damn fine CF/RF/LF which is great because you know you can stick him in anywhere and hell do his job. As for his hitting, after he came over here he was phenomenal. He hit for average, in the 330's i believe, he gave you some HR's thanks to that short porch, he stole bases (actually he changed some games with his base stealing aggressiveness), and he came up big in big situations down the stretch.

So yea Im totally for giving him the contract and not Martin, especially when we have a chance to sign AJ Pierzynski (which would be a 1 year deal if it happened) who had a significantly better year than Martin did behind the plate and in the batters box.

Im sorry I truly dont see where you are coming from with your assessment at all.
    I prefer not to throw out 2 seasons of sample size prior to Ichiro joining the Yankees.

Ichiro 2011: wOBA = .281; wRC+ = 79; WAR = 0.4
    Ichiro 2012: wOBA = .300; wRC+ = 90; WAR = 2.6

Martin 2011: wOBA = .324; wRC+ = 100; WAR = 3.0
    Martin 2012: wOBA = .316; wRC+ = 95; WAR = 2.2

Martin is the better hitter and player and I think that is quite obvious. PLUS Ichiro is an outfielder and Martin is a catcher and that is the big part of the argument. AND this lineup is already lefty heavy. We already have a light hitting left handed outfielder in Gardner and we're now adding a second light hitting left handed outfielder to that mix. Where will we be making up the offense lost from Swisher, Martin and Ibanez? Who is available that will help us make up for that lost offense? Unless we sign Hamiltion, which has incredibly unlikely, I don't see many viable alternatives to help stave off the drop-off in offense. Not to mention it is reasonably likely to assume that AROD, Jeter, and Teixeira are going to decline the next 2 seasons as well. Throw in the uncertainty surrounding Cano and, to a lesser extent, Granderson's contract situations (they expire at the end of 2013) and this offense has massive question marks for 2014 with no easy way to solve them.

I love Ichiro and I realize he was a huge spark plug for us down the stretch and the Yankees may as well have been sitting at home in October if not for him but that doesn't mean I think it's good to pay someone for their former glory and I don't think it's smart to give someone with his particular skillset and age that type of contract with the $189 million mandate in 2014. I think the opportunity cost of signing him must be taken into consideration considering the lack of flexibility the team has the next two years.

I don't really have a problem with AJ Pierzynski although I can do without his bad attitude and the Yankees have placed a much higher value on character and makeup the last few years. But hey, the Yankees signed Youkilis so you never know these days. The Yankees don't want to commit to him because they don't like his defense and I don't think he'll take a one year deal after having a career year anyway. At his age I think he'll try to turn his big year into a more secure, lucrative contract so I'm not going to just automatically pencil him into our roster. And what exactly is the alternative to Pierzynski if we don't sign him? Nothing. A replacement for Ichiro, however, can be acquired rather easily.

I'm absolutely fine with the Ichiro signing as long as:
    A) He's not our starting right fielder
    and
    B) His 2013 and, more importantly, his 2014 salary does not preclude us from making additional moves to make the team stronger for 2013 and beyond

If these two conditions are not satisfied I think it's a poor decision.
    Last edited by x McLovin x; 12-12-2012 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    how about some actual statistics.
    if Ichiro can repeat what he did while with the Yankees last season, he will be really good.
    322/.340/.454/.794
    if Ichiro is more like what he was with the Mariners last season, he wont be that good.
    .261/.288/.353/.642
    but it wouldn't surprise me if the difference was more than numbers, and that he was much happier playing for the Yankees in 1st place more than a team like the Mariners in last place. that makes a difference. it could change your attitude, it could change your approach, it could change your desire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    how about some actual statistics.
    if Ichiro can repeat what he did while with the Yankees last season, he will be really good.
    322/.340/.454/.794
    if Ichiro is more like what he was with the Mariners last season, he wont be that good.
    .261/.288/.353/.642
    but it wouldn't surprise me if the difference was more than numbers, and that he was much happier playing for the Yankees in 1st place more than a team like the Mariners in last place. that makes a difference. it could change your attitude, it could change your approach, it could change your desire.
    For the Yankees' sakes I really hope that you're right and that I'm wrong but I just can't bring myself to rely on a 2 month sample over a 2 year sample. I would love to be wrong about this and for Ichiro to have a big season but I just think it's very unlikely.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast