Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    MisspeLOL...I guess you're not always "right".

Sorry, I just couldn't resist
    It's ok i should have underlined it or put it in bold, and I'm glad you got my joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I said immediate future..

There is no reason to believe Scutaro can't hit .300 next year over a whole season and there is no reason why Pagan can't duplicate similarly the season he had last year. Pagan has that type of ability, he had a down year in 2011 but even in 2009 he was on pace for 4.5 fWAR type season if he had played the whole season.

I think you are underestimating the talent level of both guys at least in 2013.

As for winning the WS, all you have to do is make the dance, the rest is a crapshoot. I don't see why the Giants couldn't make a run again next year even with as good as the Dodgers are on paper.

And like i said the offseason didn't end with the winter meetings. There are still FA available.
    And I said .400, it was pagan's speed and scutero hitting .400 that made the top of the order so nasty, there is a huge difference between .300 and .400 and having to play in the giant's/padres center field 90 times a year will wear you down, he is going on 32 next year.

I am not underestimating their ability your underestimating their age, i think they both can still be productive, but i don't think we will see repeats of that production next year. The other thing is where is the 5 war that Melky gave going to come from? Sure Pence will hit better, but i don't think he will make up the 5 war alone. Not to mention some regression from Pagan, Scutero and maybe even Posey a little. Now before people bring out the rope to lynch me I think he will have a great year next year(baring injury of course) he will still be a 6 war player, but not many guys are able to produce back to back 8+WAR years, and then there are still huge questions around Timmy, I see this team as worse on paper than they were last year.

I think that's the problem a lot of giants fans have with this off season, is that they really haven't improved from last year while everyone else has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I am actually more and more impressed by my FO (Cards) as time has gone on. The last time I was annoyed about a move was the Westbrook extension this last Sept. Prior to that, it was the Rasmus deal and they turned out to be right about that move.

Then you have to go all the way back to the Theriot trading and the Westbrook for Ludwick trade.

Those are the only moves I haven't liked of Moz's, and I have preferred most of them, and actually requested most of them before they even happened. So I am happy with it. 8 out of 10 for me.

Rays are my second team. And I obviously prefer their moves. Best front office in baseball.

Royals are my third team. And my second team just hurt my third team so lol.
    You know, I say all this about the cardinals. And then they sign Ty wiggington to a 2 year deal

vCash
    You know, I say all this about the cardinals. And then they sign Ty wiggington to a 2 year deal
    lol everyone lays an egg

vCash
    I like the Reds owner. I think the Castellini family is doing an excellent job, re-signing Votto, Phillips, Chapman and so on. I think he's a little stingy about increasing the payroll though.

I don't like our GM, Walt Jocketty though. bad negotiator, backs out of good deals last second, and has a bad habit of doing nothing at the trade deadline when we have obvious needs. although, I'll give him credit for the Choo trade. I think we got an excellent deal.

I think our last GM, Wayne Krivsky, was much better. he got us Phillips and Arroyo for basically nothing.
    Last edited by jlohm1; 12-14-2012 at 11:58 AM.

vCash
    They aren't as statistically inclined as I would like but we draft and trade for prospects really well. A couple of moves I have hated over the years was trading Blanco and Tim Collins for Ankiel ( wasn't what we gave up so much but I knew Ankiel was terrible), allowing Melky to be a part of the Javier Vazquez trade, and trading Tex for Kotchman.
    Last edited by ATL#22; 12-14-2012 at 11:58 AM.

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    I love our front office - but until I see results on the field I'm sceptical.

Let's see how 2013 plays out.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I like the Reds owner. I think the Castellini family is doing an excellent job, re-signing Votto, Phillips, Chapman and so on. I think he's a little stingy about increasing the payroll though.

I don't like our GM, Walt Jocketty though. bad negotiator, backs out of good deals last second, and has a bad habit of doing nothing at the trade deadline when we have obvious needs. although, I'll give him credit for the Choo trade. I think we got an excellent deal.

I think our last GM, Wayne Krivsky, was much better. he got us Phillips and Arroyo for basically nothing.
    I liked Jocketty when he was with the Cardinals. But I never loved him.

Top 10ish GM in baseball range. Better than most, but worse than a lot of others.

He and Moz (a protege of his) are a lot alike.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    I love our front office - but until I see results on the field I'm sceptical.

Let's see how 2013 plays out.
    Who's your team?

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    Who's your team?
    Jays

vCash
    Jays
    Ah, yeah can't complain about them

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    I liked Jocketty when he was with the Cardinals. But I never loved him.

Top 10ish GM in baseball range. Better than most, but worse than a lot of others.

He and Moz (a protege of his) are a lot alike.
    I know a lot of Cardinal fans liked him.

I just think he ignores obvious needs until he gets a lot of pressure from the fans, broadcasters, and maybe even the ownership to do something. he's been here since 2008, we've needed a leadoff hitter the whole time, and he just now got one. everyone puts Dusty down for batting Stubbs leadoff (including me) but Walt Jocketty was content with Stubbs batting leadoff as well.

not to mention, he loves to get his old cardinal players back, although Ludwick actually worked out pretty good.

Bob Castellini was a part owner of the Cardinals before he took over as the Reds owner, so I think thats why he like Walt.

vCash
    For the most part, yes. For the Howard extension alone, I'd have a serious bone to pick with Amaro, et al.

Hard to complain about five straight division titles, two pennants, and a championship, but I still believe that the window could have been extended if Amaro had done a few things differently. This isn't hindsight talking, either. Moves like trading Howard, retaining Werth, and signing Adrian Beltre were drums I was beating in the moment back in '09/'10.

The Phillies still have a shot at the postseason this year, and should remain competitive indefinitely if for no other reason than they can spend. But I think with a more effective GM, they would be in a better position than they are now.

I wish ownership would hand Friedman a blank check to bring his front office to Philadelphia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    For the most part, yes. For the Howard extension alone, I'd have a serious bone to pick with Amaro, et al.

Hard to complain about five straight division titles, two pennants, and a championship, but I still believe that the window could have been extended if Amaro had done a few things differently. This isn't hindsight talking, either. Moves like trading Howard, retaining Werth, and signing Adrian Beltre were drums I was beating in the moment back in '09/'10.

The Phillies still have a shot at the postseason this year, and should remain competitive indefinitely if for no other reason than they can spend. But I think with a more effective GM, they would be in a better position than they are now.

I wish ownership would hand Friedman a blank check to bring his front office to Philadelphia.
    yup.

Amaro will do something like getting Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee and you think wow. Just wow. Amazing, great move.

And then he extends Howard for absolutely no reason way too early for top of the market money. It made no sense. And you think. Holy ****, nobody can be this stupid.

He is so hit and miss.

Most of the Phillies core was from Ed Wade and Pat Gillick. But Amaro helped further them along at first. But he really could have extended this window longer. In 3-4 years, the Phillies are very likely going to be very very very bad.

vCash
    yup.

Amaro will do something like getting Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee and you think wow. Just wow. Amazing, great move.

And then he extends Howard for absolutely no reason way too early for top of the market money. It made no sense. And you think. Holy ****, nobody can be this stupid.

He is so hit and miss.

Most of the Phillies core was from Ed Wade and Pat Gillick. But Amaro helped further them along at first. But he really could have extended this window longer. In 3-4 years, the Phillies are very likely going to be very very very bad.
    Exactly. That's what makes him so frustrating. Going into this offseason, absolutely nothing he could have done would have surprised me.

Mostly, my quibbles are with process rather than results. For instance, Amaro has traded a lot of prospects over the last few years to land veteran talent. While pretty much all of those vets have played well and most of the prospects don't appear as though they'll reach their ceilings, it's still early. Regardless, this approach is not sustainable, because it ultimately leads to situations like the 2012 roster: top-heavy, old, injury-prone, and lacking the necessary depth to weather inevitable injuries and/or decline.

Amaro was an assistant to Wade, so he may deserve some of the credit for putting the current core together. But I'm afraid that time may prove your last statement true. The Nationals look like a juggernaut in the making, and the Braves could be if Liberty Media decides to let them spend a little more. Contention is only going to get more challenging.

P.S. Sorry your GM gave Ty ****ing Wigginton two years.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast