Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't hate Sandy Alderson but i would like to know what his objective is in acquiring quality FA and making trades. I know we are in a rebuilding phase waiting on guys like Wheeler and Harvey but it would be nice to see some significant roster change at some point.

As for owners, yes the Mets ownership is the worst big market ownership in baseball hands down.

People can say Miami but to me Miami isn't a big market baseball wise and you can see it in their attendance.

Even with a new stadium and a whole new roster last year they still couldn't get people to show up.
    This is akin to calling a rape victim a whore for having sex with her attacker.

Mets ownership was a victim of the Bernie Madoff scandal. Cash flow was significantly affected. It takes time to recover when $500 million in assets disappear off the books.

Mets were consistently in the top 5 and as high as second in payroll previous to the scandal. After the scandal hit, bad contracts also weighed down the team's ability to make moves.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-12-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Yes. Especially with this stupid rebuilding plan they have going on. I will probably like them in 2018 or so. I'm sure the rest of our division loves our fo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

Mets ownership was a victim of the Bernie Madoff scandal. Cash flow was significantly affected. It takes time to recover when $500 million in assets disappear of the books.

Mets were consistently in the top 5 and as high as second in payroll previous to the scandal. After the scandal hit, bad contracts weighed down the team's ability to make moves.
    Honestly i think there are better metaphors for what the Wilpons had to deal with than rape.

Yes it was a horrible injustice to everyone involved but there were victims of the Madoff scandal that were left in significantly worse financial circumstances than Fred & Jeff Wilpon. People that lost their retirements, their safety nets, and in a time where many people were forced into early retirement because they had lost their job in a recession only to find out there was nothing to turn to.

The Wilpons, on the other hand, made money with Bernie Madoff cumulatively over the many years they invested with him and their pass imo went away when the Bernie Madoff lawsuit was settled.

Unequivocally, it doesn't change what the Wilpons have devolved into now and how this team has suffered because of it. You can call it what you want, i call it nepotism in regards to Fred still owning the Mets and nothing else.

To me, they are currently the worst big market owners in MLB and there is no big market MLB team in more financial flux than the Mets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2012 at 07:32 AM.

vCash
    It's only hope on my end that things change.

My practical side gives me a serious amount of doubt that the Wilpons will commit financially to putting a quality product on the field going forward. (even if the evidence prior the Madoff scandal says otherwise)

All i know is that it's been a very long 4 years and there doesn't seem to be a lot changing record wise next year either.

What are the Mets supposed to do btw?

Struggle while Fred tries to recover that 500 million dollars?

Does he have any intention of spending significant money on improving this team otherwise?

There is collateral damage here that includes the team and the fan base.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2012 at 04:02 PM.

vCash
    My team is the Tigers. I can't be too upset as they have been one of the more succesful teams over the last 6-7 years. MAYBE 4-5 other teams have had more post seson success as of late (Giants, Cards, etc).

With that said, I really wish they would start to tailor their team to the stadium they play in. We need more speed and D, but we cantinue to field slow sluggers who play average D at best. Love me some Cabrera and Fielder is nice. However, Peralta, Boesch, Delmon, Raburn, etc were guys I can't stomach. Some of those guys are gone or will be gone.

Overall, I am pleased with my FO, but not ecstatic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcabrera10 View Post
    You need to be creative in constructing a roster that will compete to win it all. I don't care that Hank, Hal, and Cash are penny pinching, I really don't. However, it's that fact that they are not doing anything ELSE to help an aging roster that hasn't gotten it done the last 2 years.

I understand that the Yankee system isn't as loaded as it was a year or so ago, but it's not empty. There is youth available this off-season (Asdrubal,Upton,Johnson was available) There is talk that Dee Gordon is being dangled, Andrus has been dangled to the Sox in the past 6-8 months.

My point is simply that it seems like the Yankee FO utterly fails in making creative deals. Historically, Cashman doesn't capitalize on deals for young guys. The Granderson trade was really the most inventive I've seen him pull off.

I know, I know. Trades for young guys are not automatic, but that FO seems pretty much allergic to them. Very frustrating.
    I think this is a great way to put it for a Yankees fan. I don't know if we can put Cashman as the "pennies" man that Hank and Hal are, but he's the one that is most looked upon in signing/trading for players.

**on Granderson trade, still think we over paid

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

Mets ownership was a victim of the Bernie Madoff scandal. Cash flow was significantly affected. It takes time to recover when $500 million in assets disappear off the books.

Mets were consistently in the top 5 and as high as second in payroll previous to the scandal. After the scandal hit, bad contracts also weighed down the team's ability to make moves.
    Then they should do the right thing for Mets fans, and sell the team.
    They won't though, which is why I hav grown to hate them.

vCash
    im fine with the yankees FO
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    As a Blue Jays fan, I'm very happy with Alex Anthopoulos. I've never liked the ownership though, but this off-season I have to give them some credit.

vCash
    I'm good with mine...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elway=goat View Post
    I hve liked some of the moves Towers made initially, especially helping the bullpen. But over the last year, he has made someone moves that make me wonder if he even knows what the hell he is even doing. Disgusted with this Bauer deal.
    You have basically given away Chris Young and Trevor Bauer for two utility level middle infielders this off-season

vCash
    As a Yankees fan, I absolutely hate them. ESPECIALLY Hal Steinbrenner. He honestly thinks Yankee fans are that ******ng stupid? It's obvious what he is doing.

Here is a team raking in over 650 million dollars a year. With a payroll a tick under 200 million and he is worried about a 50% luxury tax? Not to mention, they just sold a portion of YES. No baseball team brings in more, and last time I checked, the richest team in the world (Real Madrid) was bringing in roughly 500 million a year. Talking about a sport in which virtually only American fans watch the team vs. the entire world. And we blow them out of the water. (Numbers might be slightly off they are from last year)

Hal is going to get this team under $189 million, he will try to bank on this team as much as he can, then he is going to sell, leaving it in complete ***** for the other owner to clean up afterwards.

I miss The Boss so much!
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    50-48

G: 87 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 27| OBP: .326 | SLG: .320 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

vCash
    I will hate Sabean if he doesn't sign Swisher No denying what our front office has done these last 3 years, but for me they leave a lot to be desired.. Great with the draft since the Bonds era ended, but free agency wise is pretty meh. Not to mention trading Zach wheeler for Carlos Beltran and then proceed to not even try signing him in the offseason
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    My FO has been vacationing after a rough decade with the Red Sox, enjoying a room of decorated with laurels for Theo to rest on. They chose a no-pressure environment where the fans buy the "yay farm system" thing once in the early part of every decade. This is now the 4th time the Cubs' fans are being sold the farm system and player development pitch since the start of the 80's.

OTOH, the Cubs are as Loveable Loser-y as ever.

This is actually a picture of Epstein in his office:

http://www.idioms4you.com/img/angif-...ur-laurels.gif

vCash
    i can't stand the way mine is committed to both building a good minor league system internally and simultaneously trying to win now, come on guys one or the other.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast