Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

MLB takes next step toward pitcher headgear

n what's likely the most significant step yet toward protective headgear for pitchers, 12 or more major-league hurlers will soon begin testing padded caps.

ESPN.com's William Weinbaum reports that MLB has signed off on protective cap liners designed by Unequal Technologies, and now the next phase of testing can commence. Here's how Rob Vito, president of Unequal, describes the new product:

Vito said Unequal's padding for each cap weighs 4.3 ounces, is one-eighth of an inch thick and is made of a three-layer synthetic composite that includes military-grade DuPont Kevlar and a polymer with the properties of rubber. He also said Unequal could mass-produce the cap padding and sell it as an insert for about $60 apiece retail.
    Unequal's protective liner, Weinbaum notes, is one of five such products presently being developed in conjunction with MLB.

The drive toward protecting pitchers from line drives comes after Brandon McCarthy suffered a life-threatening skull fracture in September. His injury, of course, is only one of many such gruesome examples. These, then, are obvious and necessary steps to take.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...tcher-headgear

vCash
    At first I thought oh no we are going to have a bunch of John Oleruds on the mound wearing batting helmets when pitching.

But this is pretty smart.

vCash
    I don't know why they can't take the old batting helmets that were used before flaps that some catchers wear and have pitchers wear them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I don't know why they can't take the old batting helmets that were used before flaps that some catchers wear and have pitchers wear them.
    They'd fall off during the delivery. I'm sure they've already suggested this.

vCash
    Not sure if it'd stay on to the head, but at least they're moving forward and trying to prevent major injuries from liners to the head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Prolly because they look stupid and might not stay on so well with the typical pitcher's violent windup?
    your saying we can put a man on the moon but we couldn't figure out how to keep them on?

vCash
    Hahahaha. Those are totally relatable.

Glad to see progress being made.

vCash
    Kind of a cool idea. Interested to see how it's implemented.

vCash
    i like the idea, but i have a ahrd ime believing they will stay on a pithcers head
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I personally dont see how an insert that is 1/8 of an inch thick would have issues with staying on the pitchers head when the edges are tucked into the brim of the pitchers cap. Do we currently have an issue with Pitchers hats falling off?