Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Losing teams with multiple All-Stars

How often has it happened and are you the kind who would (in hindsight) strip the team/players of those titles.

Reason Im asking is because people seem to think 1 player is enough to right a ship and having 2 is more than enough. But I think people dont understand just how much of a team game this is.

vCash
    I don't think a player's individual accolades should be affected by team success unless his success is at the expense of the team or if he is the reason a team is unsuccessful. For example, Yao and McGrady were both phenomenal, All-Star caliber players in Houston in the mid 2000s and had little to no team success. But when you look at how bad the supporting cast was, you'll quickly see why.

Suppose you had All-Stars who were putting up gaudy numbers on awful teams and their play was directly causing their team to lose despite adequate teammates. In that case, I suppose you could make an argument that those players don't deserve those accolades.

The problem is that I think there's a fine line between the two that's really hard to decipher at times.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

vCash
    The issue with Yao and Tmac was that they were never healthy together...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I don't think a player's individual accolades should be affected by team success unless his success is at the expense of the team or if he is the reason a team is unsuccessful. For example, Yao and McGrady were both phenomenal, All-Star caliber players in Houston in the mid 2000s and had little to no team success. But when you look at how bad the supporting cast was, you'll quickly see why.

Suppose you had All-Stars who were putting up gaudy numbers on awful teams and their play was directly causing their team to lose despite adequate teammates. In that case, I suppose you could make an argument that those players don't deserve those accolades.

The problem is that I think there's a fine line between the two that's really hard to decipher at times.
    i agree some years their supporting cast was sub-par, but with battier, ron artest...that team had everything a championship team needed. rebounding. incredible defense. it really just came down to health unfortunately

vCash
    too many cooks spoil de dish.

UNLESS they buy into a team concept.

conley, gay, zach, gasol = 15 to 19 ppg each = Team works

KObe 30 ppg, the rest crap= team does not work.

Simple as that.
    ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AWC713 View Post
    i agree some years their supporting cast was sub-par, but with battier, ron artest...that team had everything a championship team needed. rebounding. incredible defense. it really just came down to health unfortunately
    The only year they had a great supporting cast was the final one in which they played together. That's when they had Brooks, Scola, Battier, Artest and Landry on the roster. But McGrady was already on the decline and missed a huge chunk of the season (including the playoffs) and Yao's neverending foot injury began that year in the Lakers series.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

vCash
    you start to look at the coach in these situations, unless of course, injuries are running rampant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    too many cooks spoil de dish.

UNLESS they buy into a team concept.

conley, gay, zach, gasol = 15 to 19 ppg each = Team works

KObe 30 ppg, the rest crap= team does not work.

Simple as that.
    I agree. Balance is key. A good inside/outside game is vital to win games.

You get the ball to the guys who have a hot hand on a given night and take advantage of certain match-ups.

vCash
    One of the two all-star teams loses every year. Should the players on the losing team have their all-star title stripped?

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim